I am too old for 4th edition
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:58 am 

Why do you ask?
I shall put it this way... in the form of a question.
In the old days, unless there were hundreds of them gathered together, those critters would pee themselves at the first site of anything bigger than a cave rat.

Yet this one is a lord over a dragon?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

How could ANY Kobold become a Dragon Lord?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:42 pm 

The kobold isn't the "lord" of a dragon.  It's a half-dragon kobold....which I think is even more idiotic than the former statement.  Did a kobold rape or seduce a dragon or was it the other way around like in the movie Shrek?  On the other hand...Lord Toede (hobgoblin) from the first Dragonlance trilogy ended up becoming a Dragon Highlord.

Yeah....pretty damn stupid.  :?  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:41 pm 

Nah, kobolds are dragon food, nothing else!!  :twisted:

Eulaliaaa!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:57 pm 

Crafty little bastards, though!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:17 pm 

They worship and revere dragons. This one was powerful enough to be made a lord by the dragon his clan worshipped. Makes sense to me. Also, the board games aren't really 4th Edition. They are just games. But I digress.

Zenfinite

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:51 pm 

So it seems I mistook the meaning for the title Dragonlord.
This critter is not a Lord of dragons, but was sufficiently adept at licking the toe jam between the dragons claws to be elevated to Lord status by said dragon.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:53 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:So it seems I mistook the meaning for the title Dragonlord.
This critter is not a Lord of dragons, but was sufficiently adept at licking the toe jam between the dragons claws to be elevated to Lord status by said dragon.

You're probably still too old for fourth edition, though.   :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:36 pm 

I determined that fourth edition wasn't for me when I found out you could have a Dragon minion (that means he's a 1-hp fodder for you non-4E folks) - I get the whole 'widescreen' battle with foes dropping like rain, but...  a one-hit kill dragon?  That bespeaks a flawed system.

Sunrunner44's rules of Foedom*:

1. Dragons are world-shaking fearsome enemies, even dumb-ass young ones, and are usually a ticket to an early grave.  The re-charge mechanic (from 3E?  4E?)  was stolen and used.  Hell yeah!  The red dragon isn't going to breathe on you three times then stay to fight...  he's going to breathe on you as often as possible if you think you're going to sit there toe-to-toe.  And the dragon is aware that breathing on the lake creates superheated steam...or breathing on his coin pile will make slag, or that breathing on the tar creates an inferno, or whatever.  It's a *&($% dragon.  Of course he knows.

2. fodder is fodder for high level characters.  And any high level schmuck that thinks fodder is disposable hasn't faced any arms of goblins waiting in ambush while the nail you with wave after wave of arrows - oh, and yes, they're nailing the obvious jackass in the robes, cause Goblins are stupid, but not dumb, and know that the smelly things he holds and the brain-twisting sounds lead to bad things happening.  Better to pincushion him...plus, he's not wearing armor.  High level characters are supposed to take out 10 of the little devils per round, but that's why there's so many of them to start with.  And why would you think their shaman hasn't figured out the 'Silence 15' radius' on a pebble trick?**

3. Ogres and trolls like to mass attack a single guy because they're big and bad, but mine always spend a round infighting after a kill (even during the battle), but then the body gets torn to pieces and eaten (roll of X or above, and I always let the 'new body' roll it, just to be mean), while in battle normally.  They're ogres people.  They don't roast the PC's with duck sauce and fennel.  Raw is just fine too.

4. Not every adventure is CR-correct, punks.  I don't care if you're 2nd level, if the die roll says 'black dragon', well, he lives around here.  Run and hide, fool.  Just because you see a monster doesn't mean you can go kick his ass.  If he's flying around, check the direction, then go loot his cave while he's busy eating the livestock or whathaveyou.  Then blame it on the goblins.  Gold is the best source of XP.  I'm still not convinced the whole goal of B2 wasn't to sack the damn keep.

Sunrunner44 - old skool, yo.

* never before really considered, but I'm a fairly consistent GM.
** Pathfinder has gotten goblins more right then has ever been done before.  "Horsechopper" and "Dogslicer" as the key 'racial' weapons?  Fascination with fire leading to bad things?  Brilliant.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm 

I'm old school. I remember when a new game came out, we played it. I remember playing wargames when this new fangled game in a white box came out, we played it and it was fun, so we played some more. I remember when T&T came around, we played that, it was different but still fun. Arduin, played it, had fun. V&V, played, fun. Holmes, played, fun. Paranoia, yep. LARP, fun. Board games, yep. Card games, yes. Poker, also fun. Arcade games, awesome. Computer games, duh. AD&D, of course. 2nd ed, yep fun. 3rd edition, took so long to do anything, fun once you got playing. 4th, funner and faster than 3 once people know the rules.

Busman's tips for having fun with 4th (and 5th ed, and 6th):

1) Stop fixating on the word D&D on the cover, think of it as another role playing system.
2) Enjoy the company of the people who are having fun around.
3) Realize people play the edition they were exposed to, 4th ed players who've never played anything else actually have fun, no really, they do. If you play WITH them and have fun, down the road you might be able to introduce them to an early edition.
4) No one likes the old guy who talks about walking backwards uphill in the snow both ways to school. Be a gamer, not a grognard.

Chris

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 am 

sunrunner44 wrote:I'm still not convinced the whole goal of B2 wasn't to sack the damn keep.

We sacked Hommlet.  The villagers have a lot more gold.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:18 am 

Mythmere1 wrote:
Gnat the Beggar wrote:So it seems I mistook the meaning for the title Dragonlord.

You're probably still too old for fourth edition, though.   :D

Yep, I am fairly certain of it.
sunrunner44 wrote:I determined that fourth edition wasn't for me when I found out you could have a Dragon minion (that means he's a 1-hp fodder for you non-4E folks) - I get the whole 'widescreen' battle with foes dropping like rain, but...  a one-hit kill dragon?  That bespeaks a flawed system.

Sunrunner44's rules of Foedom*:

1. Dragons are world-shaking fearsome enemies, even dumb-ass young ones, and are usually a ticket to an early grave.  The re-charge mechanic (from 3E?  4E?)  was stolen and used.  Hell yeah!  The red dragon isn't going to breathe on you three times then stay to fight...  he's going to breathe on you as often as possible if you think you're going to sit there toe-to-toe.  And the dragon is aware that breathing on the lake creates superheated steam...or breathing on his coin pile will make slag, or that breathing on the tar creates an inferno, or whatever.  It's a *&($% dragon.  Of course he knows.

2. fodder is fodder for high level characters.  And any high level schmuck that thinks fodder is disposable hasn't faced any arms of goblins waiting in ambush while the nail you with wave after wave of arrows - oh, and yes, they're nailing the obvious jackass in the robes, cause Goblins are stupid, but not dumb, and know that the smelly things he holds and the brain-twisting sounds lead to bad things happening.  Better to pincushion him...plus, he's not wearing armor.  High level characters are supposed to take out 10 of the little devils per round, but that's why there's so many of them to start with.  And why would you think their shaman hasn't figured out the 'Silence 15' radius' on a pebble trick?**

3. Ogres and trolls like to mass attack a single guy because they're big and bad, but mine always spend a round infighting after a kill (even during the battle), but then the body gets torn to pieces and eaten (roll of X or above, and I always let the 'new body' roll it, just to be mean), while in battle normally.  They're ogres people.  They don't roast the PC's with duck sauce and fennel.  Raw is just fine too.

4. Not every adventure is CR-correct, punks.  I don't care if you're 2nd level, if the die roll says 'black dragon', well, he lives around here.  Run and hide, fool.  Just because you see a monster doesn't mean you can go kick his ass.  If he's flying around, check the direction, then go loot his cave while he's busy eating the livestock or whathaveyou.  Then blame it on the goblins.  Gold is the best source of XP.  I'm still not convinced the whole goal of B2 wasn't to sack the damn keep.

Sunrunner44 - old skool, yo.

* never before really considered, but I'm a fairly consistent GM.
** Pathfinder has gotten goblins more right then has ever been done before.  "Horsechopper" and "Dogslicer" as the key 'racial' weapons?  Fascination with fire leading to bad things?  Brilliant.

Gets my vote for best post of the week.
Easily.
NICE...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:59 am 

FormCritic wrote:
sunrunner44 wrote:I'm still not convinced the whole goal of B2 wasn't to sack the damn keep.

We sacked Hommlet.  The villagers have a lot more gold.

You are the apple of Lareth's eye. ;)  If only the foul peasants had agreed to share a little bit of their gold... muhahahahaha

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am 

FormCritic wrote:We sacked Hommlet.  The villagers have a lot more gold.

I've always wondered if the point of Q1 is to form an alliance with Lolth vs. the Temple of the Eye.