Slumbering Tsar
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm 

March 20, 2012
Slumbering Tsar News!
Only 11 days left...
I will send a separate email to bill for shipping. I am likely shipping priority large box. I want to see if 2 will fit in the box before I ship, or if its 1/box. This REALLY matters for overseas customers.

Basically I will send an email to all subscribers and put a shipping bill button up--I will ship the book as soon as shipping is paid. I am going to wrap the hell out of these things so there is no chance of damage, as you can imagine, I am not overprinting very many due to the individual unit cost.

Chuck has it done through book 6 (just got off the phone). Should go to press April 5 or so--and will ship late May.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm 

That is good news.  Cannot wait to get a hold of the product.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 pm 

Its scary big Martin...I should have  a page count soon. Without a doubt the LARGEST RPG supplement ever made. Pretty sure we already have the record at 837 pages, but this is bigger.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:46 pm 

As a weapon, we could give it 2d12+5 damage. :lol:

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:58 pm 

Fantastic news, cant wait to have my grubby little paws on this!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 pm 

Looking forward to this one !

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Its scary big Martin...I should have  a page count soon. Without a doubt the LARGEST RPG supplement ever made. Pretty sure we already have the record at 837 pages, but this is bigger.

There is a larger one at 839 pages I saw down at my FLGS, cant quite remeber the name, I will look when I am down there again!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 am 

Possibly World's Largest Dungeon.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:55 am 

I noticed that Tsar is being advertised for sale through Paizo. I wonder if we are going to see another monstrous sell-through.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I noticed that Tsar is being advertised for sale through Paizo. I wonder if we are going to see another monstrous sell-through.

I only see the chapters being sold (print & pdf), do you see the H/C being offered anywhere?

I was in from the beginning, I'm looking forward to a special item :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:58 pm 

Just noticed it in the newsletter:  http://paizo.com/store/v5748btpy8rqv

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:11 pm 

Oh, I didn't see that... I guess that bums me out a bit, I mean I pluncked my $125 down a year ago to support the project, presumably I (and others like me) helped make it viable and now it's about to be printed... but I could have waited for the same product and price?  That disappoints me.

Here's a quote from the author from last year  viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10007&hilit=slumbering+tsar&start=20

"Now, having said all that, if you subscribe you get the hardback (~800 pages) for the cost of its shipping.  The subscription allows us to both know the number of the big books that we need to print and have the capital to pay for them.  This isn't going to be some 1000-copy print run.  We're going to print the books for the people who purchase them and probably a few extras, but that is it.  Anyone who wants to buy it after that will have to absorb the cost of a single-copy print run which is substantially higher than bulk.  Plus there will be a bonus chapter for subscribers not available for those who buy individually later.  This and signed and autographed print copies for all subscribers is how we're rewarding those folks who invested in us to make this all possible.  Yeah, it's on the priciny side, but it's a BIG book with a small print run, so it's not going to be priced as cheaply as other bigger operations can do. "

That blurb got me excited... I guess I should have waited & bought now.   :?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:19 pm 

I guess that means I should finally decide if I want to get in on this or not.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:04 pm 

I bought in, only because I had the money to spare.  Might wait for RA to go through Paizo though also might see how the finances are then too.  Could not get the Tome of Horrors book, but am fine with that.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:25 pm 

Presumably Paizo could have pre-ordered just like everyone else.  That wouldn't explain them selling it for no profit though.  *shrug*

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:37 pm 

Plaag wrote:I bought in, only because I had the money to spare.  Might wait for RA to go through Paizo though also might see how the finances are then too.  Could not get the Tome of Horrors book, but am fine with that.

ShaneG.

I've seen the Tome of Horros complete for PF  pop up from time to time on ebay for around the same price

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm 

davidc wrote:Oh, I didn't see that... I guess that bums me out a bit, I mean I pluncked my $125 down a year ago to support the project, presumably I (and others like me) helped make it viable and now it's about to be printed... but I could have waited for the same product and price?  That disappoints me.

Here's a quote from the author from last year  http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10007&hilit=slumbering+tsar&start=20

"Now, having said all that, if you subscribe you get the hardback (~800 pages) for the cost of its shipping.  The subscription allows us to both know the number of the big books that we need to print and have the capital to pay for them.  This isn't going to be some 1000-copy print run.  We're going to print the books for the people who purchase them and probably a few extras, but that is it.  Anyone who wants to buy it after that will have to absorb the cost of a single-copy print run which is substantially higher than bulk.  Plus there will be a bonus chapter for subscribers not available for those who buy individually later.  This and signed and autographed print copies for all subscribers is how we're rewarding those folks who invested in us to make this all possible.  Yeah, it's on the priciny side, but it's a BIG book with a small print run, so it's not going to be priced as cheaply as other bigger operations can do. "

That blurb got me excited... I guess I should have waited & bought now.   :?

I gotta agree here.
There was mention of an 'exclusive' bit of printed materials, but if the retail price in the real world is $125, the people Bill convinced to buy in last year are receiving zero benefit for having bankrolled the projuct as far as I can see. It doesn't seem to be a limited print run or exclusive product at all. And we still have the shipping cost to pat for. So where is the 'book for the price of the shipping'? Or has the story changed over the years because there's money to be had by marketting this differently with the other outlets?

I think an explanation of how we misinterpretted the state of our purchases, or how we misread the sales pitch, might be needed here from someone at FGG.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:48 pm 

I think the offer is that you can buy in now for $125 + shipping.  But if you wait until after they are printed the price jumps to $160 or $170 + shipping.

I am still wondering if the the preorder version is anything special or unique or will it be the same as the later sold copies.  Same goes with the "exclusive content" - I remember there was talk of that before too but not sure if that is still a reality.

Chances are the price of Tome of Horrors won't be going up much - it is still in print available for $110 or ($82.50 for a dinged copy) or $30 for PDF.

Next