AD&D Puffy stickers
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:56 am 

AD&D Puffy stickers

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

starting price is surely a bit high but it seems in excellent condition, no price sticker as it is often the case on such items.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:06 am 

Melf the elf,
Mercious the cleric,
and Garn Grey Gaze the Illusionist...

Did TSR have 9 year olds doing the naming for their licensed products as well?

Reminds me of one of the guys I used to play with, his Dwarf was named Dorf, and he said Dwarf like Dorf... so it was Dorf the Dorfen Fighter.

Chris

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 am 

Busman wrote:Melf the elf,
Mercious the cleric,
and Garn Grey Gaze the Illusionist...

Did TSR have 9 year olds doing the naming for their licensed products as well?

Thanx. I was involved in some of the naming; not Garn, but the Mercy/Mercious thing was cute (and possibly mine, don't really recall).

and Melf was Luke Gygax's PC. If you go to GaryCon and diss the name, try to look inoffensive; he's a very tall muscular Captain in the Army.

F

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am 

Busman wrote:Did TSR have 9 year olds doing the naming for their licensed products as well?

Who do you think was buying the "puffy stickers" back then?  Eighteen year olds?  You want to sell something to a nine year old it makes sense to think like a nine year old.  Probably why my first two characters were named Dirk the Daring and Sir Marcus the Mighty.  :roll:

Was Mercious supposed to be Mercion's brother?  And I always wondered why they changed Melf to Perelay on the toys?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:47 pm 

That was entirely my point, I was 9 and playing it. Maybe that was the genius then, aimed right at the target market. =)

EDIT: My first AD&D character was when I was 9, his name was Hallagad... he was a Paladin. There just wasn't a puffy sticker named after him.

Chris

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 pm 

Busman wrote:EDIT: My first AD&D character was when I was 9, his name was Hallagad... he was a Paladin. There just wasn't a puffy sticker named after him.

Hallagad?  Galahad?  Sheesh.  Shouldnt he have been an anti-paladin?  :P

My later attempts at naming characters were pretty bad.  In Jr. High I started naming characters after Roman emperors.  Trajan, Hadrian and Justinian were three that I remember.  I dont think I had more than that probably because my DM thought they were stupid.  Like his were any better.  He named a couple of his characters after heavy metal guitarists.  And I distinctly recall our party travelling through the kingdom of Def Leppard (pre-Greyhawk campaign).  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:22 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Busman wrote:EDIT: My first AD&D character was when I was 9, his name was Hallagad... he was a Paladin. There just wasn't a puffy sticker named after him.

Hallagad?  Galahad?  Sheesh.  Shouldnt he have been an anti-paladin?  :P

No, I was even less inventive on my Anti-Paladin: Ancalagon the Black (direct lift from Tolkein). I *may* have been 10 at that point.

Chris

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:23 am 

i had a set of these on my headboard when i was a kid :)

thanks, realmaster.

let's split up!!!!!