Eldritch
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:30 am 

Chiming in here on the question raised by FC: "When can we get print copies [sic]?"

Simply put, its been an arduos process. I still use old fashioned PageMaker, and Drive Thru and PageMaker do not work and play well together. The approval process is/has taken(ing) weeks.  Yes, I need to get InDesign (and I want to, fear not), but that means also upgrading to 7, and I currently use XP.

That means organizing all of the files on my HD, and there simply isn't time for it right now.  It will have to occur this summer.... but not right now.

BUT Dark Outpost nears the point at which print copies will be available at Drive Thru Rpg. I have ordered the very first (a requirement - the first copy acts as a blueline) as of four days ago, and it should arrive here soon. The other four (Did he say four???) yet languish in the approval process. I will reassure everyone listening/asking/interested that this was done weeks ago, and that the process just seems to take forever... but we near the end of that road.

We did just post the new fantasy anthology, Heroes and Magic which had its pdf and print versions posted on the exact same day. For those watching the process, the print version has now been in the approval process for about ten days.

Heroes and Magic is a nudge over 300 pages, 6X9 paperback size, and there's some pretty tasty stuff in there if I do say so myself (yes, 'tis true, I always do).  Here's a snapshot for those who haven't seen it.:

Next up are the deluxe versions (DO, Lich, Snakeriders and Forest), and the completion of the website. I am hard at it with all of those as we speak. I am also working on my next adventure, as is Tim, and Jim. Frank is in the midst of a very important project and is to some extent "coccooning" as a result. I'll try to get my behind over here more.

Thanks for asking . :D

I will post here THE DAY that Dark Outpost goes live for print, as well as the others.

XXOOCC
Eldritch Guy
Inner City Games Guy
Fixer of Broken things &
Trophy Husband

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am 

Chris wrote:Next up are the deluxe versions (DO, Lich, Snakeriders and Forest)

?????

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 am 

Excellent, good to see things moving forwards :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 pm 

Chris wrote:Chiming in here on the question raised by FC: "When can we get print copies [sic]?"

Simply put, its been an arduos process. I still use old fashioned PageMaker, and Drive Thru and PageMaker do not work and play well together. The approval process is/has taken(ing) weeks.  Yes, I need to get InDesign (and I want to, fear not), but that means also upgrading to 7, and I currently use XP.

That means organizing all of the files on my HD, and there simply isn't time for it right now.  It will have to occur this summer.... but not right now.

BUT Dark Outpost nears the point at which print copies will be available at Drive Thru Rpg. I have ordered the very first (a requirement - the first copy acts as a blueline) as of four days ago, and it should arrive here soon. The other four (Did he say four???) yet languish in the approval process. I will reassure everyone listening/asking/interested that this was done weeks ago, and that the process just seems to take forever... but we near the end of that road.

We did just post the new fantasy anthology, Heroes and Magic which had its pdf and print versions posted on the exact same day. For those watching the process, the print version has now been in the approval process for about ten days.

Heroes and Magic is a nudge over 300 pages, 6X9 paperback size, and there's some pretty tasty stuff in there if I do say so myself (yes, 'tis true, I always do).  Here's a snapshot for those who haven't seen it.:

Next up are the deluxe versions (DO, Lich, Snakeriders and Forest), and the completion of the website. I am hard at it with all of those as we speak. I am also working on my next adventure, as is Tim, and Jim. Frank is in the midst of a very important project and is to some extent "coccooning" as a result. I'll try to get my behind over here more.

Thanks for asking . :D

I will post here THE DAY that Dark Outpost goes live for print, as well as the others.

XXOOCC
Eldritch Guy
Inner City Games Guy
Fixer of Broken things &
Trophy Husband

A couple of things here. A book of fiction isn't usually high on a gamers list of wants from an RPG company so I am a bit dismayed that it is the first choice for a hardcopy general availability product. 2nd, Deluxe versions are next? How about doing the regular versions that have already been released at Garycon? Deluxe versions sound nice and expensive but why not get the regular edition out in the hands of customers who want them? Why not a POD version of them at least? Or is this in the works?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 pm 

A book of fiction isn't usually high on a gamers list of wants from an RPG company so I am a bit dismayed that it is the first choice for a hardcopy general availability product. 2nd, Deluxe versions are next?

Ok, perhaps I was less clear than I should have been.

Dark Outpost was the first choice, and is nearing full print (softcover) availability.  I have ordered a blueline print version for it and unless there are problems there, it will be the first made available in print.

The other three original titles (Forest, Snakes, and Lich) were next, having been submitted eleven (ten yesterday) days ago, but still languishing in the Drive Thru RPG approval process.  It takes a while.

The FIFTH choice was the anthology, and was mentioned as the latest pdf release.  For those wondering why the process takes so long, I wanted to offer it as an example.  The pdf and print versions were submitted same-day to Drive Thru.  Those needing reassurance that the delays are not on the Eldritch end of things can actually track how long it takes to get a print copy approved over there by tracking this one.  It was the LAST title submitted for print approval.

How about doing the regular versions that have already been released at Garycon?
The print process I am in the midst of incepting is one that will last for the forseeable future.  There were a few problems with the copies for GaryCon that we hope to resolve with this process.

Deluxe versions sound nice and expensive but why not get the regular edition out in the hands of customers who want them?
Its not an either-or situation, I assure you.  They will be nice.  They will be expensive.  They will not be the only copies available; in fact, only 50 of each deluxe title will ever be released to the general public.

Why not a POD version of them at least? Or is this in the works?
That is the current plan.  Its just that the approval -for-print-process is taking far longer than (in my opinion) it should.  As we are not performing the POD process, I am a bit at the mercy of those who are.  As mentioned, Dark Outpost should be available in a week or so, altho I am waiting on the receipt of the blueline copy , so that is not bird-in-the-hand as yet.  At the very least, cover and interior were approved for POD.

Hope this clarifies.
XXOOCC
Eldritc Guy
Inner City Games Guy
Fixer of broken things
Trophy Husband

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:39 pm 

So to sum up, POD versions will available as soon as drivethru gets their act together and then there will be some sort of deluxe editions too.  Is that right?  Any more info on the deluxe versions?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:13 pm 

Correct.  The plan is:
Get the drive thru versions up and running (print version)
While that is in the process, finish the layouts for the Deluxe versions.  What is a "deluxe" version?

1) Hardcover/stitched for durability.
2) Additional material - in the case of Dark oupost, its about 24 pages... altho that may change
3) additional collector's add-ons.  For Dark Oupost, this is a frameable deed that grants ownership of the space station.  Its pretty cool (IMO).
4) A signed and numbered authentication page.

50 of each adventure will be produced for the general public.  In addition, all contributors get personalized copies, so in reality there may be as many as 70 that will be produced, although only 50 will be numbered.  ALL deluxe versions will be signed by the authors.
I am in the midst of the Dark Outpost deluxe version layout today.

...and for those hoping that these deluxe versions won't eat up all of our EE time... fear not, Jim, Frank Tim and I are all working on round#2 of adventures right now as well.
More than that I can't say, although you may be able to get further info out of Tim and Jim. :D.

XXOOCC

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm 

Jim Wampler also cobbled together a new cover for us for Snakeriders of the Aradondo.  That means two things:
1) If you got the original print version at Gary Con, its going to be collectible.
2) The new cover is now what you get if you order either the pdf or the soon-to-be-available print copy.

I did the original, but I like this one better.  A LOT better.  Our hugest thanks to Jim Wampler.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:08 pm 

Good info.  Do you envision deluxe versions for releases too or just this first group?  Or is that as yet undecided?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 pm 

I really dig that new cover for Snakeriders!  Just started running that module for my kids.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm 

.. an more importantly.. were can I put my name down for one..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am 

We will likely do deluxe versions of all adventures and sourcebooks (but not anthologies or rule sets - if we do any) but allow me to assure one and all:  They will only be in addition to the Standard Versions, never in place thereof.

I was really impressed by Mr.Wampler's ability to depict Tim's story myself.  Let's just say I needed little convincing to adopt the new cover.

...and I will announce here when the deluxe versions are done, as they will be in strictly limited supply.  If our website is functional by then, there will be a link as well.

XXOOCC
Eldritch Guy
Inner City Games Guy
Fixer of Broken Things &
Trophy Husband

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 am 

Chris wrote:Jim Wampler also cobbled together a new cover for us for Snakeriders of the Aradondo.  That means two things:
1) If you got the original print version at Gary Con, its going to be collectible.
2) The new cover is now what you get if you order either the pdf or the soon-to-be-available print copy.

I did the original, but I like this one better.  A LOT better.  Our hugest thanks to Jim Wampler.

[ Image ]

Very nice cover, cant wait to get one!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:54 pm 

Toric!  By the way....  If you have one of the print copies (with the original not-as-good-cover), those will be very rare.  Only 100 were produced, and we will not be re-printing that original cover.

Short form: Those original 100 copies are going to be highly collectible.
XXOOCC
Eldritch Guy
Inner City Games Guy
Fixer of Broken Things
Trophy Husband

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 pm 

Sadly no, I only have the first five releases in pdf form.  Didn't make it to Gary Con.  I am however attending North Texas RPG Convention next weekend and hoping to score a print copy or two if Frank, Tim or Jim have any in hand.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 am 

Tim shipped some of each title to the show this week... how many I can't vouch for, but there will be copies of all four at the show.  I think the Snakeriders he sent have the original cover.

XXOOCC
Eldritch Guy
Inner City Games Guy
etc...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:20 pm 

We hope to have a Print Announcement by next weekend (if the new bluelines are satisfactory).

F

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 pm 

We are still having a few problems getting everything right (correct) with the printer on the first four adventures.  Don't hate me but Heroes and Magic (the anthology) is available in print, likely because it lacks interior art. :D

There should be more news early this coming week, but this is not as yet bird-in-the-hand.  It is quite definitely our top priority.

XXOOCC
Eldritch Guy
Inner City Games Guy
Fixer of Broken Things &
Trophy Husband

PreviousNext