Eldritch
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 pm 

BAM!  Just read about the Dark Outpost Deluxe Edition and placed my order instantly!  :D  Can't wait to get it.  I wonder what number I will get.  :)

~Kat  ^_^

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:49 pm 

Fear not, (and for those looking for additional copies) we're still in the late "teens".
I did just confirm your order- and you should have your Deluxe either Friday or Monday.  Thanks for your support... we'd like to do more of these "special editions".

XXOOCC

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm 

In other news...

The pdf of Tim's new Curse of the Weaver Queen was released today:
and we submitted the proof files to the printer as well.  This one is a corker, gang.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm 

Katchoo wrote:BAM!  Just read about the Dark Outpost Deluxe Edition and placed my order instantly!  :D  Can't wait to get it.  I wonder what number I will get.  :)

~Kat  ^_^

Hmm.. I had to pay tax for some reason..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Last edited by beasterbrook on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 am 

Thanks for the update on my order.  Looking forward to it!  :D

I'm assuming/hoping that Curse of the Weaver Queen will be out in print format sometime soon?  :)  There are some more Eldritch books I would like to order, but maybe I'll wait until that one is available in print, as well... so I can get them in one shot.  Will that be happening anytime soon?

Edit:  Ah... I just saw the bit below the cover image that said it was submitted to the printer.  Yay!  Still... any ideas when that might be done?  :)  Also, any update on the deluxe version of Lich I?  I'd like to buy that book, but I would prefer to wait for the deluxe version, asuming that is actually going to happen.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm 

fyi, Tim and I will be at TotalCon this weekend, Thurs thru Sun, Mansfield, Massachusetts.

If you're in New England, drop by!

Eldritch is a Sponsor, as usual.

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:59 pm 

Sorry, been a while; this thread dropped off our radar. :/

We've got a few more out, in both paper & PDF, at DriveThru RPG (<-- Link)

All are in generic language* (usable with your preferred RPG if you can divide 20 by 5).
The latest:

Tower of the Scarlet Wizard (Jim Ward)

A mysterious and magical message literally drops into your lap from the very air.  Unsettled by the experience, you nevertheless open it.  It seems that there is a tower at the center of a nearby town, packed with magical items and untold riches... and it seems YOU have inherited this tower!

Well...  almost. You are one of several cousins vying for ownership of this magnificent edifice. The task seems simple: convince the servants of the tower that you are the rightful owner.  Once all of the tower's servants have sworn fealty, the tower, and its riches, are yours.

It sounds too good to be true... So it probably is.

Strange Allies (Chris Clark)

Note: works stand-alone or with Forest of Deceit

A forlorn wagon lies abandoned at the side of the road.  Curious, you decide to investigate.  Suddenly goblin arrows fill the sky, and a burning sensation assaults your forehead. Goblins within the trees shout spiteful imprecations and it is all over almost as quickly as it began... except that your fellow adventurers have rags over their noses, and everyone seems to be moving away from you.

The reason for this behavior becomes abundantly clear when one of them  shouts "Dude! You stink!"

Curse of the Weaver Queen (Tim Kask)

The lunar goddess Arianhrod presides over the great wheel of life. But centuries ago, some saw the Wheel as a Web: a spider's web. And so began the Cult, and so it has festered, hidden, malignant... waiting.

Now they come scuttling out of the dunes at night, silent and deadly. Only a very lucky few have survived the ravaging horde. The bugs. The huge spiders. The Gatherers, taking what is man's and returning to their lair.

That area of the dunes is strange. You'll see. You can find it easily. And with luck, you may live to tell the tale.

Lich Dungeon Level II (Frank Mentzer)

Note: not a stand-alone; you'll need level 1 to use this.

Lich Dungeon, a city unto itself... Level One was simple, just enough to introduce the place.  This is Level Two.  The real challenges start here.

On Level 2 you'll find apartments & shops, churches & cops, and... well, monsters of course: norks, gunges, geeps, Draugur, plus the usual suspects.
For business & residential opportunities, please see the management (Chagur the Lich). You might even survive.

Prepare to laugh. Prepare to fight. Hope to survive. Have a good game.

A year in the making, this addition to the Lich Dungeon line is packed with new monsters, new treasures, and detailed maps of all areas. At 134 pages, this is far more than a 'quick trip to the dungeon'.

* Why generic? So we can nail down our IP rights before going to OGL versions (which are in progress this coming year).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:28 pm 

Ok, time to play some catch-up ball.   Sorry to have been away for so long.

Since last we met:
Dark Outpost (standard edition) has gone from this:
to this:
We have released Frank's latest edition to the Lich Dungeon series, Lich Dungeon Level II:

and wer are within a couple of weeks of releasing Jim's new Monty Haul dungeon:

ALSO
within a couple of weeks, I should have the Dark Visitor cover up here for perusal as I am heading into that layout quite soon.
So we have been at least somewhat productive lately.  Ply Frank and I with questions should you wish. :D
XXOOCC
Christopher Clark ~Eldritch Enterprises

Last edited by Chris on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm 

Let me pre-empt one potential inquiry here.

The "old version" of Dark Outpost (the original non-deluxe cover) will likely be sold off at NTRPG con, Gary Con, or a combination of cons.  I will post at what cons those old cover versions will be sold.

We have about 50 of them left.

Working on the polish draft for Rain of Terror today before I start the 100+ page layout on Dark Visitor.  Wish me luck.

XXOOCC
Christopher Clark ~ Eldritch Ent.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:09 pm 

Tell us more about Jim's Lesser Tower of Doom, Chris :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:55 pm 

Jim is starting a new series of dungeons that are classic Monty Haul dungeons - huge piles of gold, powerful magic items... and imminent death if you 'make a mistake'.

There is an entire mythos associated with Monty Haul that I find fascinating (who he is, why he does what he does), and an 'overcoat' of light-hearted game-show-esque humor... but the adventures are deadly serious.  Certainly make-or-break your character type of adventures.

I don't want to put too many spoilers out there.  Let's just say,
"Monty needs your blood, and your souls.  He's willing to place treasures in the balance that will make you wish to risk either or both of them."

These adventures are made to play in 4-8 hours.... and this is the first of three that Jim is already working on.
Nudge Jim on Facebook to get over here and comment (I know I will).
XXOOCC

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 pm 

Chris wrote in Eldritch:Jim is starting a new series of dungeons that are classic Monty Haul dungeons - huge piles of gold, powerful magic items... and imminent death if you 'make a mistake'.

There is an entire mythos associated with Monty Haul that I find fascinating (who he is, why he does what he does), and an 'overcoat' of light-hearted game-show-esque humor... but the adventures are deadly serious.  Certainly make-or-break your character type of adventures.

I don't want to put too many spoilers out there.  Let's just say,
"Monty needs your blood, and your souls.  He's willing to place treasures in the balance that will make you wish to risk either or both of them."

These adventures are made to play in 4-8 hours.... and this is the first of three that Jim is already working on.
Nudge Jim on Facebook to get over here and comment (I know I will).
XXOOCC

How about less funny dungeons and more straightforward exciting, dangerous, mysterious, well-designed adventures?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:25 pm 

That's a fairly bold statement from someone who has seen nothing of the actual text as yet. :D

I don't think you'll find Monty Haul dungeons to be by any measure "silly-funny".  That doesn't mean that they are called "Monty Haul" dungeons because they are standard fare.  I think our stuff is pretty well designed or I wouldn't participate in its production.  You are, of course, entitled to your opinion of what has been produced.

This is not the Monty Haul "single kobold atop a mountain of treasure" style adventure.... but don't trust that the rabbit sitting atop the gold pile is a pushover.  He has a mean streak a mile-wide.

I, and Jim, are big on "logical reasons for things".  You won't find things that are silly and make no sense in any of these dungeons.  I do believe that "wrapping your head around what is going on" with these dungeons will prove to be one of the biggest reasons they are fun to play.

XXOOCC

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:32 pm 

Chris wrote in Eldritch:That's a fairly bold statement from someone who has seen nothing of the actual text as yet. :D

I don't think you'll find Monty Haul dungeons to be by any measure "silly-funny".  That doesn't mean that they are called "Monty Haul" dungeons because they are standard fare.  I think our stuff is pretty well designed or I wouldn't participate in its production.  You are, of course, entitled to your opinion of what has been produced.

This is not the Monty Haul "single kobold atop a mountain of treasure" style adventure.... but don't trust that the rabbit sitting atop the gold pile is a pushover.  He has a mean streak a mile-wide.

I, and Jim, are big on "logical reasons for things".  You won't find things that are silly and make no sense in any of these dungeons.  I do believe that "wrapping your head around what is going on" with these dungeons will prove to be one of the biggest reasons they are fun to play.

XXOOCC

I don't think it is actually bold when you go talking Monty Haul and think that is somehow a plus in adventure design.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:26 pm 

Ok, fair enough.

But perhaps some history of "Monty Haul" dungeons is here apropos.  "Back in the day" the term "Monty Haul" dungeon was bandied about in Dragon Magazine and became known as, "weird dungeons with treasure that far outstripped the risk".  It was a commonly used fan term in the late 70s and early 80s... and it became associated with some of the adventures Jim wrote in that era.

Jim can defend himself on that score.

Its only a "plus" in that it refers to the history of the term and its usage.  In other words... those of us who played those adventures in the bygone days of classic 1st Edition will gain an immediate mental image of from whence the ideas about to be presented were garnered.

If you're not familiar with the history of "Monty Haul" as it relates to those old dungeons, I can see drawing the conclusion that it might not resemble, even remotely, a plus.  The series is based around Monty Haul in its historic dungeon-design context, rather than any notion that your character should dress up in costume in order to get free loot.

Hope that helps?  If not - feel free to ask for a review copy once they are made available.  For that matter - feel free to hate it  In any case, share your opinions with those gathered here, and elsewhere.  I can guarantee you that there is a back story associated with this series, and that careful planning of the adventures does occur.  I think your fears will be assuaged once you have an opportunity to see the actual adventure.  Only you, however, can make that determination.

XXOOCC
Chris Clark ~ Eldritch Ent.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 pm 

Chris wrote in Eldritch:Ok, fair enough.

But perhaps some history of "Monty Haul" dungeons is here apropos.  "Back in the day" the term "Monty Haul" dungeon was bandied about in Dragon Magazine and became known as, "weird dungeons with treasure that far outstripped the risk".  It was a commonly used fan term in the late 70s and early 80s... and it became associated with some of the adventures Jim wrote in that era.

Jim can defend himself on that score.

Its only a "plus" in that it refers to the history of the term and its usage.  In other words... those of us who played those adventures in the bygone days of classic 1st Edition will gain an immediate mental image of from whence the ideas about to be presented were garnered.

If you're not familiar with the history of "Monty Haul" as it relates to those old dungeons, I can see drawing the conclusion that it might not resemble, even remotely, a plus.  The series is based around Monty Haul in its historic dungeon-design context, rather than any notion that your character should dress up in costume in order to get free loot.

Hope that helps?  If not - feel free to ask for a review copy once they are made available.  For that matter - feel free to hate it  In any case, share your opinions with those gathered here, and elsewhere.  I can guarantee you that there is a back story associated with this series, and that careful planning of the adventures does occur.  I think your fears will be assuaged once you have an opportunity to see the actual adventure.  Only you, however, can make that determination.

XXOOCC
Chris Clark ~ Eldritch Ent.

I was around "back in the day" myself and dressing up in costume to get a washer/dryer would be preferable to the kind of dungeons that the term engenders to the imagination. I'm not sure why you guys think this is some kind of wonderful idea.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm 

Then I can but ask for your patience, and an open mind until you see the result.

"I" think you'll like where we have taken the idea.

XXOOCC

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:27 am 

Btw Jason...

Monty Haul's Lesser Tower of Doom is now available as a pdf, and I would be happy to send you a copy gratis if you would care to review it and share your findings with those assembled here.

I don't know that you will like it.  I'm reasonably certain it will allay your fears that this is a treasure-give-away dungeon series.

If you would like a review copy - just shoot me your e-mail (send your e-mail to [email protected]) and I'll get you a review copy pdf.

For those assembled, you can also find a review here:
Swords & Stitchery - Old Time Sewing & Table Top Rpg Blog: Review And Commentary Monty Haul's Lesser Tower of Doom From Eldritch Enterprises For Your Old School Horror Campaigns On The Dark Corner Blog!
Others will soon be available as well.

XXOOCC

PreviousNext