The Sea Maidens of San Gropia
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:17 pm 

Co-writer L. Allen and I are creating a DM's game supplement dealing with buccaneers.
This comes with a big WARNING not to be used/viewed by persons under the age of 17.
It is filled with bawdy and sometimes tasteless names/terms (i.e., the Captain of "the band" is named Bonnie Ballsworth)
It will include maps of the continent(a partial), the buccaneers' island, the town/hideout they reside in, and the sloop they use.
In addition, information is provided regarding each NPC of "the band" (from the captain, lieutenant, bosun mate, ships' mates, rigging's mates and crew, MU and cleric) and several support-types that reside in the town (the tavern owner, etc.)
A short "mini-adventure" will be included (The Drinking Contest!) but, otherwise, this is not a full-blown adventure. It is a supplement, aid, accessory. It is a springboard from which a creative DM/GM/Referee/Judge can create a score of scenarios, at least.
We plan to have a limited print-run of this, and I will post some pics later as we go along.
This is not intended for the general public, nor those easily offended by raunch and innuendo.
I do not know if a pdf will be available, as of yet.
Would appreciate some thoughts/feed back from the members here.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm 

Hi,

pirates are always popular. For rapist murderers they must have a great PR team.

I have played adventures based on Captain Pugwash, which provides a certain amount of raunch and merriment. Seaman Staines anyone?

You could always release it on international Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Be interested in this!

Cheers,
KAL

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm 

I would buy this product...

May I come aboard Captain Ballsworth?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:30 pm 

Although pirates aren't necessarily my thing, I would be interested in a copy to see how you guys handle a setup like this. I've liked what I've seen of your work in the past and I like to support those that I can.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 pm 

The problem with pirates is that they only play well in D&D at low levels.  At high levels, they are either sword fodder or over blown.

Also, pirates pretty much call for firearms.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The problem with pirates is that they only play well in D&D at low levels.  At high levels, they are either sword fodder or over blown.

Also, pirates pretty much call for firearms.

This merry band of wayward women includes several mid-high level NPC. And getting onto their island and finding their hideout shouldn't be easy. In the hands of a creative DM.

As to firearms--why not? IMO, such invention in one's campaign should be introduced in a basic and fairly-weak way, as to signal the changing campaign from one of magic and fantasy to one of science. IF one wants to go that direction.

BTW, I have just solicited an artist to render me an outstanding cover and some interior art. If you are familiar with THE RIVER QUEEN then you have seen his style.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:21 pm 

I made my own rules for early firearms in my 3.5 campaign.  They worked quite well.

Cannon fire is a bit harder to replicate...they really couldn't hit small targets with a cannon except at very close range, using canister shot, or by repeated tries.  But, when a cannon does hit on or near its target, the effect should be devastating.  This is hard to replicate in the logic of D&D combat.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 am 

Update

The artist known as Shonuff has informed me the illustrations are done and need touching up.

The text is completed, and I will be inserting (pirate pun intended, arrrr!) the artwork into the layout as soon as I get my hands on it.

Will post next when this phase is completed.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:28 am 

We want a preview of the drawings :D

(I will be interested in a copy as well)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm 

I'm interested in a copy as well, thanks.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 pm 

This may be the final one. I am debating on whether to have cover art or not.

and here is a little tavern, affectionately referred to as The Goose & Giggle...

There will be maps including a partial continent, the island, the cove, village, and sloop.
The text gives information regarding the members of the crew, and support NPC that reside in the village.
There is also a mini-adventure called, "The Drinking Contest"...not much of an adventure...mostly just the PCs seeing if they can outdrink the gals while staying on their barstools!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:05 pm 

Some more eye candy (Interior cover)

The pdf of this is now available and I'd like to offer it for purchase to members.
I don't know how I'm going to do a limited print on it--yet.
I have it loaded up and ready. (Its just arranging the particulars that's creating a problem)
Perhaps we should create a list of all those interested, and go from there?

Last edited by Thork N Hammer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:38 pm 

I support most print projects like this.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm 

I like the cover art even though it is simplistic.  And the font actually works in this case.  The whole thing sounds a lot like Raggi's The People of Pembrooktonshire which I liked very much.  But what I liked about the aforementioned book was that there was a paragraph or two detailing a bit about each NPC.  So if your offering has the same type of setup then I will be interested.  But I am only interested in a print copy.

Curious as to why you dont just put it up on Lulu and offer print and pdf?  Is it the adult content?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I like the cover art even though it is simplistic.  And the font actually works in this case.  The whole thing sounds a lot like Raggi's The People of Pembrooktonshire which I liked very much.  But what I liked about the aforementioned book was that there was a paragraph or two detailing a bit about each NPC.  So if your offering has the same type of setup then I will be interested.  But I am only interested in a print copy.

Curious as to why you dont just put it up on Lulu and offer print and pdf?  Is it the adult content?

Last question first: Yes.
Next: the major NPC are described and statted out(but with enough wiggle room to allow the DM to expand upon).
Next: I like to give back to the forums I am a member of in some way/if possible. Thus I make a lot of my material accessible to members, first/or only.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:40 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:I like the cover art even though it is simplistic.  And the font actually works in this case.  The whole thing sounds a lot like Raggi's The People of Pembrooktonshire which I liked very much.  But what I liked about the aforementioned book was that there was a paragraph or two detailing a bit about each NPC.  So if your offering has the same type of setup then I will be interested.  But I am only interested in a print copy.

Last question first: Yes.
Next: the major NPC are described and statted out(but with enough wiggle room to allow the DM to expand upon).
Next: I like to give back to the forums I am a member of in some way/if possible. Thus I make a lot of my material accessible to members, first/or only.

You could do an unexpurgated version and a tame version to cater to those people who dont like all the raunchiness.  And at the same time cater to collectors who want both versions.  You'd make a killing.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:19 pm 

I'll just go ahead and express interest in a print copy, in whichever channel works best for the author :)

Perhaps I'll just mention a self-published work I bought direct, it was spiral-bound and assembled at a Kinkos type outfit... Cost a bit more than Lulu and was probably more work, but I'm sure the author did a bit better moneywise.  I would pay more for something signed/numbered/limited/special-somehow.

Good luck!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm 

I would be interested in a print version, as I have been for all your previous stuff.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Next