What are these? [Runequest]
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 pm 

Some unidentified Runequest documents I got in a lot last year:

The one on the left is titled "RUNEQUEST REV 1" and starts with page 2 (missing cover/page 1?) and goes to page 65. Double-sided sheets. Staple in the upper left corner with an old rusty staple. Looks more like a print-out than a photocopy. Attached to the back are two photocopied sheets of reference tables that say "Game Aids" and have an Avalon Hill address at the bottom. The first has the name "Steve" written on the top.

The one on the right is titled "NORSE RELIGION REV 1.0" and consists of 16 sheets, numbered 1-16, single-sided.

I have almost zero knowledge of Runequest products. Can anyone identify these for me?

There's also a single loose sheet (not shown) with "Runequest Runes" on one side, and "C. Armor" (a table) on the other side.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:51 pm 

More information might yield a better guess, but from what you've provided, it could be:

1. Steve Perrin or Steve Hendersen's notes on changes to be made from Chaosium's RQ2 to Avalon Hill's RQ3, and notes for a part of the AH RQ3 Vikings supplement.

2. Some other Steve's homebrew stuff.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm 

Thanks for the info, H. Here's some more details:

I got these in a lot with a bunch of junk, which IIRC I bought it to get a beat-up copy of the Complete Warlock that lokiwookie pointed out here.

The "Steve" is photocopied on the reference sheets so it's a copy of whatever was originally labeled "Steve". The reference sheets are clearly photocopies because of the marks but the rest of the documents are free of such marks, looking more like print-outs.

The Runequest document has the following sections

Warrior Class
Knight Class
Ranger Class
Barbarian Class
Samurai Class
Bard Class
Thief Class
Ninja Class
Magic User Class including some spells, plus a list that says "The following spells are from AD&D players handbook unless otherwise stated. To learn any of these spells, the Gamemaster will review the spell and modify it to fit the RuneQuest system". List includes stuff like Feather Fall and Stinking Cloud.
Spirit Magic Spells
Divine Magic

The Norse Religion document has sections on
Odin
Thor
Tyr
Frey
Freya
Heimdall

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 am 

Interesting they use the word "class."  Isn't RQ a "classless" system?

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 am 

That's looking more and more like homebrew.  As simrion said, RQ has never had classes.

If you want to take a few more pics/scans, PM me.  I'd be happy to look at it more closely.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm 

Zach---

The left-hand page looks like it might be similar to the SPQR rules that Steve Perrin ran at the SoCal MiniCon at the end of July 2011.  I'll dig them up and see (I just ran across them while cleaning and organizing this past weekend).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/