S2 Prisoner of Destiny
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:31 pm 

The Pacesetter Games & Simulations FREE 2011 CLP module will be sent to qualifying members with the purchase of I2 Beyond the Black Wall - release date of February 28, 2012. The CLP module, S2 Prisoner of Destiny, will ship with I2.

Below you will find a "draft" of the module's introduction:

Introduction
Prisoner of Destiny is an AD&D adventure designed for 6 -- 8 characters of 2nd to 4th level. The scenario is balanced for a total of approximately 24 character levels. The party should have a good mix of character classes, including at least three fighter types. All characters should possess at least one magic item and one magic weapon.
The scenario takes place in the World of Greyhawk campaign setting. The two countries involved are Furyondy and the Pomarj. The actual geographic locations are the village of Hommlet in Furyondy and the plains above the Drachensgrab Mountains (hex Y3102) in the Pomarj. This adventure takes place immediately after the PCs have completed T1 The Village of Hommlet.

DM's Background
This adventure represents the story of Thrommel II, the lost prince of Furyondy. Thrommel is the only son of Belvor IV, the current king of Furyondy. The PCs, at the conclusion of T1 The Village of Hommlet, will be approached by an emissary of King Belvor IV as they celebrate their victory over the denizens of the moat house. Word of the PCs encounter with minions of the Temple of Elemental Evil quickly reached King Belvor. The king recently received a report that his son, Thrommel, is a slave somewhere in the Pomarj and that a known operative of the temple had recently purchased him in a slave auction. It seems Thrommel has not been recognized and that has kept him alive.
Belvor is dying and he is desperate to find his son and the only blood successor to the throne. Thrommel was captured by the forces of Iuz after the battle to defeat the Temple of Elemental Evil. However, Thrommel managed to escape from the temple but was captured by a bandit raiding party while trying to escape from the Pomarj. The bandits did not discern the true identity of Thrommel. He was eventually brought to a slave market.
Good fortune finally fell upon the prince when he was recognized by a spy from Furyondy. The spy, masquerading as a slave dealer, attempted to buy Thrommel, but the bandits had ironically sold him to an agent of the Temple of Elemental Evil. The spy learned that the agent was buying slaves to support a troop of hobgoblins that were on a secret mission for the temple. He learned nothing more. The spy returned to Furyondy two weeks later and immediately informed the priestess Syrillia -- Belvor's most trusted advisor. Syrillia informed the king but to their consternation, no rescue mission could be planned. They had no idea where the hobgoblins had taken Thrommel. Then came news that the PCs had discovered and destroyed a contingent from the temple in a decrepit moat house near the village of Hommlet. An emissary was quickly dispatched and entrusted with the ability to make a decision to plan a rescue mission if any fortunate information could be had.
Luckily, the PCs found the journal of Lareth the Beautiful and reference to a keep and slaves was discovered. The emissary will immediately dispatch the PCs to rescue Thrommel, if he is indeed at the keep. Of course, Thrommel is at the keep. But things are not as simple as rescuing a slave. The hobgoblins have excavated a massive domed building and discovered a dark, deep pit. The massive pit descends into darkness but only a short way down from the surface, rooms and corridors were discovered. Tashar the Hideous, leader of the hobgoblin troop, has moved to explore and discover the Felbanner, a magical flag that can summon an army of evil. But things go horribly wrong for Tashar just before the PCs arrive. The PCs will eventually find Thrommel, but the young paladin has no plans on leaving while there is evil deep within the pit. Unknown to Tashar and the temple, they are digging into the Prison Vault of Balir -- an ancient prison that contains a balrog and its minions.

Sequence of Play
This adventure starts in the Inn of the Welcome Wench as the PCs are having a private meeting with Viskane, emissary of King Belvor IV. Viskane is a hardened and wise man. He was once a general in the service of Furyondy. He is an elderly man now, but still on his game. Viskane will carefully detail what the PCs are to accomplish and that travel in the Pomarj is perilous. If discovered, the PCs will certainly be attacked.
Viskane will locate the keep on a crude map, with the help of Lareth's journal and his own knowledge of the Pomarj. He also has a small painting of Thrommel. The PCs will not be allowed to take the painting with them. It is too dangerous and if it falls into the wrong hands, could be deadly for Thrommel. Viskane will pay for any equipment the PCs request including riding and pack animals. He will not pay for henchman or servants.
The PCs will then travel into the Pomarj. You may use the World of Greyhawk or use maps included in this module to handle the trek to the keep. There are a series of encounters and events included for the trek portion of the adventure. The keep is detailed as is the pit and the "dungeon." At the conclusion of the adventure the PCs will have more information on the Temple of Elemental Evil as well as a nefarious slaver organization. The PCs will still be deep in the Pomarj and more adventure is close at hand.
This adventure is separated into three sections. Section One: Into the Pomarj includes several encounters and events for use with the trip to the Lost Goblin Inn. Section Two: Death at the Lost Goblin deals with the events at the Lost Goblin and the search for information on the keep. Section Three: The Prison Vault of Balir details the ruins of a prison vault that contains a Balrog and its minions. This section also includes the discovery of Thrommel by the PCs.

What the Players Know
When the PCs destroyed Lareth the Beautiful they discovered his journal which includes some very interesting details. Of course, there is nothing related to Thrommel, but the journal mentions a keep, abandoned and in ruin. Lareth noted that something evil and powerful is hidden somewhere in the keep and that a detachment of hobgoblins led by Tashar the Hideous was sent by the temple to recover the item. A large group of slaves was procured as excavation and was most likely required. Lareth was insanely envious of Tashar as the job was certainly more to his liking than simply manning a moat house in the backwoods of nowhere.
The emissary of King Belvor will tell the PCs that there is a chance that Thrommel is among the slaves at the keep and the king has graciously accepted their offer to rescue his son. Clearly, the PCs are expected to accept the mission. Lareth's journal makes note of the location of the keep and the PCs are to leave immediately. The emissary will pay for any equipment they require (that is available in Hommlet). Note, the agents running the general store have been chased from town and a new, and honest, proprietor now runs the store.

Player Introduction
It has been a glorious two weeks since your victory at the moat house. What had started as a simple investigation into some local banditry quickly evolved into a deadly series of events ending with the confrontation of one Lareth the Beautiful. The incredibly handsome, but evil, Lareth was the most dangerous foe you have ever encountered. First his silky tongue nearly put you at ease, but his treachery soon became evident. In a battle for your very lives, you managed to defeat Lareth. No longer beautiful, his corpse lay at your feet in a crimson pool of blood and gore. What opponents remained in the moathouse quickly fled the area. Your group, battered and bloody soon discovered treasure, both monetary and magical. You limped back to Hommlet and the celebration began.
For several days the revelry was epic. Merchants arriving in town joined the throng as the story of your victory over the evil in the moat house grew in legend. People from surrounding communities came to hear the story and see the heroes of Hommlet first hand. All the while you recovered and consolidated your strength. But after nearly two weeks of celebration, the crowds thinned and life began to return to normal around Hommlet. You became aware that while you would always be celebrated as the heroes of Hommlet, the villagers were eager to get back to their peaceful lives. Inwardly, you know it is time to move on. You are not the innocent and naïve adventurers who blindly stormed the moat house. You are stronger, smarter and eager to meet your next challenge.
Then came the small retinue from Furyondy. Led by an old man, yet noble and strong, they arrived in Hommlet last evening. A request was delivered for a private breakfast meeting with the old man called Viskane. He introduced himself as General Viskane, retired, emissary of King Belvor himself. After a congratulatory speech, Viskane sat down and the doors to the private room were sealed. Viskane questioned you, with little delicacy, about the moat house but in particular about Lareth and his minions. Learning that you had acquired a journal, Viskane immediately set to reading it while you sat in silence. As accustomed to being the heroes of Hommlet as you chaffed inwardly while sitting like a school child in the principal's office. But Viskane was not someone to be trifled with; that was plain. After many long minutes, he closed the journal and stood. He paced around the table, deep in thought, for several minutes.
"You are hereby, and immediately, conscripted into the service of the King. You shall be rewarded for your actions at the moat house and for further additional duties that I will offer you at this time. You will leave within the day to perform a critical and dangerous mission. Do you agree or do you have reservations?" Viskane announcess with the authority of man who clearly has the power to deliver.
(DM's Note: If the PCs agree, read the following. If they balk at the "offer", Viskane will place them under house arrest for an undisclosed period of time, but not less than one month. Each PC will receive 250 gp after the one month time period.)
"The king thanks you for your service and willingness to undertake this critical mission. You surely know of the local history and the destruction of the Temple of Elemental Evil and its forces almost 10 years ago. What you do not know is that Prince Thrommel, only son of King Belvor, was lost in that terrible battle. His body was never recovered and king has held out hope that his son would return one day. It was simply a father's hope that one day he would learn what had happened to his only son.
"That word has come. Two months ago one of our spies, on a mission deep into the Pomarj, was shocked to see Thrommel alive and well, in a manner of speaking. The prince was ragged and unkempt, but the spy had now doubt. He had known Thrommel since he was a child. Strangely, the spy adamantly says the prince appears as youthful as he was when he disappeared almost ten years ago. The prince was being sold in a slave auction in Highport. The spy attempted to buy Thrommel but he was too late. An evil priest had purchased the prince as well as dozens of other slaves. The spy soon learned the priest was one Tashar the Hideous and he is in service of the Temple to Elemental Evil, or what remains of that vile cult. It was clear, albeit ironic, that Tashar clearly had no clue as to the prince's identity.
"It took our spy two weeks to return and relay the news. Unfortunately, the spy lost Tashar and the slaves. At some point they simply vanished into the wild lands of Pomarj. The king, overjoyed at the news that his son yet lives, was equally devastated that he is lost once more. Several spies have been sent to the Pomarj, but no news has returned. It is a large area and danger lurks in every shadow. Then news of your expedition and victory at the moathouse reached the king. Not overly inspiring but with news that an agent of the temple was involved, a stone suddenly appeared in need of over-turning. I came here to overturn that stone. In reviewing Lareth's journal I find an entry regarding this Tashar. It seems Lareth and Tashar are, or were, rivals. Lareth noted that Tashar recently received an envious assignment to excavate a keep, as he puts it, in the northern reaches of the Pomarj. Lareth laments that the keep is somewhat near his favorite inn, the Lost Goblin. I know of that place. It is a haven for evil not far from our border. It is a refuge for those who cross into our lands in to raid and spread their malice.
"There is no keep anywhere near the Lost Goblin. But there is an old ruin about 20 miles from the inn. I am not certain of its exact location, but I am sure you will have no problem finding it. Your mission should be obvious now. Go and find the ruins and Tashar, fore I am sure they are connected. Locate and rescue the prince and return him to this village. I will wait here for your return.
"But there is more. This sudden resurgence of the temple is disturbing. Learn what you can and stop Tashar. They want something that is hidden in those ruins and whatever it is, they must be denied. Make your way to the Lost Goblin. One of our spies, by the name of Gorthuk, occasionally visits the inn. He is a half-orc and he wears a dark blue cloak. If he is there, approach him and introduce yourself as a friend of Viskane. He will then help you if he can. I cannot be sure he will be at the inn, but possibly, fate will be on our side.
"In that chest," Viskane points to a large chest near the door, "you will find your reward for dispatching Lareth and a pre-payment for your service to recover Thrommel. I will have a map ready for you in the next hour. Take that time to equip yourselves and make ready for travel. There is additional coin in the chest to pay for any equipment and animals you may need. You must move quickly as it is imperative you leave today.
"Which leads me to my final point. If I know of your deeds at the moat house, you can be assured agents of the temple have been informed. They too have spies. Trust no one and do not speak of your mission. The true identity of Thrommel must be safe-guarded. If the temple discovers that one of their slaves is the heir to the king of Furyondy, it would bode ill for him and many more. But it is not only Thrommel's safety that is in jeopardy but your own. In killing Lareth you have brought attention to yourselves. Some of that attention is certain to be followed by action -- the type of action that ends with you dead."

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:14 am 

I could not find I2 listed at your web sites products page (no purchase link either), nor is the purchase price listed where I looked.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am 

I don't think we can order it til the 28th, Gnat.  I'm up for a copy :-)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm 

davidc wrote:I don't think we can order it til the 28th, Gnat.  I'm up for a copy :-)

Actually, if you are in the CLP, you MUST order your copies of I2 prior to February 24th.
The remaining printed copies go on sale to the general public later...
Perhaps on the 28th.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
Actually, if you are in the CLP, you MUST order your copies of I2 prior to February 24th.
The remaining printed copies go on sale to the general public later...
Perhaps on the 28th.

I2 Beyond the Black Wall goes on sale to CLP members on February 27. CLP members who wish to purchase extra copies of S2, must let me know by February 24. You do not need to pay for anything until February 27. I just need to make sure I have correct quantities for the printer. I will only print as many S2 modules as exactly needed plus a few for the Pacesetter archive.
I hope this helps. And thanks for the fantastic support.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm 

Thank you for the clarification.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 pm