LOVIATAR Fanzine
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 pm 

http://loviatarzine.blogspot.com/

I have mentioned LOVIATAR before, but it was in the context of the Pathfinder RPG.  Things have changed.

LOVIATAR no longer features Pathfinder material because of space limitations.  Instead, editor and writer Christian Walker has gone totally Old School with stats and adventures.

After a bit of fiddling around with material for other RPG's in the early issues, Christian has found his focus and is covering one hex from a generic D&D campaign setting in each issue.  The storylines in the hexes are interconnected.  Each issue of LOVIATAR is an interesting read and is full of good ideas to drop into any campaign.

LOVIATAR is published monthly and Christian blogs about the creative process throughout the month.  Right now, he is working on LOVIATAR #8  The issues keep getting better.  Issue #8 is up to 28 pages and I am looking forward to it.

At $14 for a six month subscription, LOVIATAR is a bargain.  (That price includes shipping.)  It is a fun read every month.  Back issues are still available...I believe they cost $3.

If you're an Old School collector/gamer at all, I suggest supporting and reading LOVIATAR.

*  I am not associated with Christian Walker or LOVIATAR in any way, other than as a subscriber who was very happy to renew his first subscription today.

(And, if you aren't capable of inserting Pathfinder stat blocks to OSR materials on the fly, then you probably shouldn't be game mastering.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:56 pm 

I also renewed my subscription today..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:57 am 

LOVIATAR #8 is in my hands and it's worth your time to check it out.  Christian Walker is the writer, editor and publisher.  He keeps threatening to re-visit articles for Vampire: The Requium and X-plorers, but thankfully his current obsession with Dungeons and Dragons hex crawl adventuring still holds power over him.  (Here's hoping he won't lose focus and veer off into those less productive games.)

LOVIATAR #8 describes Hex 004.

In the center of Hex 004 is the hamlet of Dorim.  There are roughly 100 citizens of Dorim, which is mapped and keyed with five locations described.  The five locations include an inn (with three interesting NPC encounters), a pit with a mated pair of otyughs (whose offspring are up for auction), a thugish constable (who kills any visitor who gets out of line), the shrine of a local goddess and a merchant who sells hallucinogenic mushrooms.  The text keeps mentioning the Freecity of Haldane, which is apparently nearby.

Tables for daylight and night encounters in Hex 004 take up six pages (including artwork), but this isn't just a lengthy chart.  It is a collection of six well-described events that player characters might get involved in.   The encounters include being robbed by gnomes, meeting a wagonload of prisoners on their way to the mines and a conversation with a local good guy.

Hex 004's main encounter is with a giant, intelligent pit viper that lives in some hills near town.  Apparently, the local constable disposes of the victims of his violent law enforcement by feeding them to the snake...which has become intelligent by eating humans and absorbing their memories.  (The snake tells the party all about this if they pause long enough to let it talk.)  The snake lives in a small cave complex with some other areas and encounters described.

If you never use the hex crawl series, there are plenty of good ideas just in this one issue.

LOVIATAR is cheap and very interesting and you're missing out if you haven't gotten around to subscribing.  All of the issues of LOVIATAR are still available.  Anyone who likes OSR products or enjoys reading a good adventure scenario will like both the quality and price of LOVIATAR.

Christian Walker blogs each month's magazine at:  http://loviatarzine.blogspot.com/

He does a great job keeping up with orders while still working on the next issue of LOVIATAR.:

On a normal month, I mail out 75 zines. Last month I processed 400.

I am all caught up! This week's orders will go out in the mail tomorrow

My advice to to check it out.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:03 am 

FormCritic wrote: Christian Walker blogs each month's magazine at:  http://loviatarzine.blogspot.com/

He does a great job keeping up with orders while still working on the next issue of LOVIATAR.:

On a normal month, I mail out 75 zines. Last month I processed 400.
I am all caught up! This week's orders will go out in the mail tomorrow

My advice is to check it out.

The Acaeum affect factored into that jump in activity I would wager.
I know it did so after reading the first post in this thread.
I visited the web site and decided to order the Fanzine and all back issues as well.

beasterbrook wrote:I also renewed my subscription today..

As mentioned above; I purchased the back issues and started a new subscription as well.
The back issues and issue 8 arrived a couple of weeks ago, but I have not had time to check them all out yet.
Looking forward to some great reading.

Did scan through Issue 8... that 5 HD Viper is a deadly menace.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 pm 

I don't know anything about Christian Walker outside of his LOVIATAR blog, but from what I can tell he is one of the good guys.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:34 am 

LOVIATAR #10 is on my desk.

Christian Walker is producing a monthly fanzine of excellent quality for which he charges almost nothing.  You should check it out.

This issue starts with a funny introduction in which Christian tells about his attempts to playtest his hex crawl series with gamers who are either too stubborn or too wierd to actually look for adventure.  One guy, for instance, deliberately avoided all the encounter areas and just tried to find people to murder.  Anyone who played D&D in junior high should remember these kinds of gaming sessions.

In the second part of the introduction, Christian describes trying to recruit a new gaming group.  He held a meet and greet to which he invited 10 people.  Unfortunately, the people he invited (and Christian should have known this) were a combination of LARPers, Call of Cthulhu players and Vampire: The Requiem enthusiasts.  This group of gaming puffs is too eccentric to cotton to D&D and have all sorts of strange and selfish RPG expectations...all of which should be unsurprising to hardcore D&D players.

LOVIATAR #10 has two sections:  

1) A waste of paper and ink about a Vampire: The Requiem vampire and his blood victims.  (You might like this game.  I don't.  Vampires need to be retired with stakes...not slept with.) IF you are a vampire enthusiast and like this sort of thing, I apologize for my attitude...but it's not a sincere apology.

2)  A continuation of Christian's hex crawl D&D series.  Hex 006 has a witch, a flock of winged cats, goblins trying to go straight/civilized and Harrowminder the Yew...a diseased treant who has gone mad and violent.  The party may try to heal Harrowminder or chop him down to save themselves.  One hex in the series always leads to another hex...and the witch has an evil abode "a few hours ride to the east."  There is a wolf that has strayed from a pack mentioned in Hex 002 (LOVIATAR #6) and a gnome who tries to get the party to eradicate the would-be civilized goblins.  The interconnected hex crawl series is what I look forward to each month.

As is usual with LOVIATAR, issue #10 is filled with good to excellent artwork and has a fairly high quality cover.

In spite of the occasional mention of games other than D&D, LOVIATAR is worth subscribing to.  There are good ideas to steal...and a paper and ink fanzine available for cheap is an idea good enough to support in itself.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:11 pm 

I'm with FormCritic on this one for sure.....I've been loving this little zine since last August and in December started to use the Hex installments with my 3 kids.. you should see the excitement my 8 year old daughter has when she opens the mailbox and the latest issue is in  :D  

I would highly recommend this zine and it's freaking cheap (3.50 and you can still get all the back issues to boot I think) PDT_Armataz_01_34

Matt

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm 

Sorry to bump this old-ish thread, but I'm curious how many issues were printed and if anyone had a line on back issues?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:45 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in LOVIATAR Fanzine:Sorry to bump this old-ish thread, but I'm curious how many issues were printed and if anyone had a line on back issues?

I'd check with Christian. I think he is still posting. I can't remember when he stopped Loviatar.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 pm 

13 issues printed

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:55 am 

Somehow I missed this zine, and now I can't seem to figure out where to buy it.  The blog at Blogger gives me "access denied". Can someone point me to another source for Loviatar issues or PM me Christian's email so I can request access to his blog?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 pm 

I had the camera out, here's my modest Loviatar collection... I too am hoping they become available again, I think they're quite good...
Attachment:
DSCN1062.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 am 

Thunderdave wrote in LOVIATAR Fanzine: I too am hoping they become available again, I think they're quite good...

Is this zine OOP???

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 pm 

If anyone here is attending NTRPGCON,  I will have some issues for sale or auction there, not sure yet which.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:21 pm 

Back in print... one of my favorites :)

LOVIATAR: Zines Will Rain Down Like A Monsoon

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:00 pm 

These are still listed as available for order from the site.  Has anyone tried that?  :)

Carpe DM!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:48 pm 

Yes, and I got a message from Christian thanking me for my purchase and saying that he'd post soon.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:52 am 

I think i subscribed the first year... now how many issues are out?

Next