Map ID requests
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:24 am 

Who amongst the collectors here does not have this come up on occasion?

You buy a small collection close to home, or a small collection here or some other RPG Board, or perhaps a medium sized lot on e-Bay and when you get it all home to go through you find that there is a thick folder with MAPS MAPS MAPS galore (or maybe the maps are just loose in the package).
Sometimes you might also find that parts and pieces of Modules and Box Sets are NOT together...

Sigh...  Well, here I am... asking for help with IDing a stack of maps.

What I am asking of the Acaeum Membership is help in IDing and placing the maps as to which Adventure Modules, or box sets they belong with.  
My thanks in advance...

Some of these maps I know go with certain Settings for TSR as they are very obvious.
I think most of the maps are from one of three settings.
Maztica, DragonLance, Forgotten Realms.

Below I have listed (when I could) place names and I give a brief description of the format of the maps.
They are described as to the media used in two forms;
Paper, just what it sounds like, thick paper.
or
Glossy, which is more of a modern magazine type of media.

Some of the maps have obvious titles and if so, I list them under the Map Type.

EDIT:
As stated by Mike below: ALL of the maps have a STOCK Number which I have now wrtten on the first line below my map number for this post... and I posted the year shown on each map as well (if present)

THANKS MIKE!

1) Single sided (Paper)
1066XXX0704    ...  1991
Overall title: The Valley of Nexal
I think this is one of the maps for a central Mexico setting (Azteca, or some such)
Place names: Scared Square of Nexal (looks like a small city/walled town Small inset at lower right corner); Active Volcano (Mount Zatal) at the Lower left corner; Lake of the Gods (center of map, with Island of Nexal in the middle of the lake.

2) Double Sided (Paper)
1074XXX0701    ...  1992
No overall title; this is a very cool looking map with a LOT of dangerous looking places.
Each side of the map has a LOT of small insets with individual maps of various places.
Place Names:
Side A: (my name, not on map):  Xak Tsaroth; Ice Wall Castle; Pax Tharkas; The Floating Tomb; Tower of the High Society; Cursed Lands; The Seeker Lands; Tower of the Sun (and a lot more)
Side B: Foghaven Plains, with The Hidden Vale, Uma's Tomb, Wood's of Peace, Two different Dragon's Lairs; The Ruined Keep; Windpipe from Huma's; The Perechon (Details of a sea going ship); Sanction; Mt. Nevermind; High Clerist Tower; Temple of Darkness; Neraka; Palanthus area map, includes the Bay of Branchala
The Upper Right Corner has a small inset with a bunch of town buildings (one being the Inn of the Last Home)

3) Double Sided (Paper)
1074XXX0702    ...  1992
Title side A: The Continent of Ansalon on the world of Krynn
Title Side B: Dragonlance (left 2/3 of the map); Battleground (Right 1/3 of the map)
Roughly half the map is a Wilderlands map with hexes and numbers that represent places and/or encounters for a adventure.
That said I suspect this one belongs with one of the DL Modules...

4) One Sided (Paper); this looks to be the south half of a double part HUGE map.
1066XXX0702    ...  1991
Place Names: Gulf of Qotal; Lopango (Land of Fire); Brown Sisters; Sea of Azul; Payit; Coxamutt Island; Kolan and a lot of other place names including towns, mountain ranges, jungles, and islands.
I suspect this is one half of a Maztica Wilderlands Map.

5) One sided (Paper)
1066XXX0701    ...  1991
Overall Title: Voyages to the True World (Upper left corner)
The Shining Sea; Trackless Sea; Evermeet; Sea of Swords; Tayola (the Eastern Ocean); Gulf of Cordell; Patzcoatl (The Western Ocean); Moonshae Isles; Waterdeep; Sword Coast; Payit (see map 4 above); Lopango (Land of Fire); The House of Tezca; Mt. Zetal

6) Two Sided (Paper)
1077XXX0703    ...  1992
Overall Title DragonLance
Side A: A note at bottom right corner states: MODULARS - Most of the maps on this mapsheet are meant to be cut out and used to build other maps...
Various small insets with Wilderlands, caverns, or town areas shown, all of the insert maps have numbers for places or encounters.
This seems to be a Module Adventure (DMs) Map with the encounters marked on the map.
Side B: Same as side A...

7) Single sided (Glossy)
1085XXX0703    ...  1994
Overall Title: The Forgotten Realms
Place Names (from left to right): Sea of Swords; Sword Coast; Trollbark Forest; Fields of the Dead; Cloak Wood; The Wood of Sharp Teeth;
Fields of the Dead; The High Moor; Serpent Hills; The Forest of Worms; Trielta Hills; The Reaching Woods; Hill of Lost Souls; Sunset Mountains; The Far Hills; Greycloak Hills; Marsh of Chilimber...

8.) Single sided (Glossy)
1085XXX0702  ....  1993
No title: This maps long side is vertical (up and down) rather than side to side as most of the maps in this post are.
Place Names (from center out): Sea of Fallen Stars (The Inner Sea); Aglarond; The Great Dale; Thay; Narfell; Sossal; The Great Clacier; Sunrise Mountains; Anauroch the great desert; Thar; Vaasa; Damara; Sembia; Cormyr; Turmish; Chondath; Sepech; The Akanal
Chessenta; Threskel; Mulhorand; Unther; Eastern Shaar; The Shaar; Shaareach; Border Kingdoms

9) Single Sided (Glossy)
1107XXX0703    ...  1994
Overall Title: Dragons Clans of Ios' (Or Jo's) Blood Island (This is not a map, but a poster sized Chart of Dragon Clans, a family tree of Dragons)
Metallic Clans; Gem Clans; Chromatic Clans

10) Single Sided (Glossy)
1107XXX0701    ...  1994
Overall Title: Io's Blood Island Chain (This map is longer going Vertical rather than side to side).
Place Names (from bottom up): Fireshore; Land of the Fire Giants; Burning Sea; Bloodtide; Blood Sea; Inferno; Aridia; Azure Sea; Coral Sea; Starshine; Io Bay; All Clans Island; Exaurdon; Ice Sea; Glacianta; Maelstrom Reach; Land of the Frost Giants

11) Single Side (Paper)
1031XXX0701   1987...
Name Places: Sword Coast; Cloak Wood; The Wood of Sharp Teeth; Fields of the Dead; The High Moor; Misty Forest; Troll Hills; The Laughing Hollow; Serpent Hills; Marsh of Chilimber; The Lonely Moor; Greycloak Hills; Hill of Lost Souls; The Far Hills...
Yes this has a lot of the same stuff as the map I numbered 7 above...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 pm 

Gnat;

You need a copy of the TSR trivia quiz fold out poster, on the other side lists every published TSR product up to 1996 and stock numbers....most of those maps should have a stock number hidden somewhere on most of the corners.  I can probably help you with a few of these next time I see you.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 pm 

Agreed.  Much easier to ID from the stock numbers than anything else.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:33 pm 

How about a scanned resource with ID numbers and products done. Not full rez scans or anything, but enough to recognize which map is which and what it belongs to? Seems like a valuable reference library for collectors.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:27 pm 

I think the first four digits corresponds to the product number of the complete item, so for instance 1085... map belongs to the #1085 FR campaign setting box set.

This is an excellent resouce:

http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/index.htm

Also, a quick google search for (in the above example) '1085 TSR' gets you sorted out pretty quick too.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:38 pm 

Here you go...

#1066 Maztica campaign box set
http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/fr/maz.htm

#1074 Tales of the Lance box set
http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/dl/dl-tales.htm

#1077 Al Quadim Land of Fate box set
http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/aq/aq-lof.htm

#1085 Forgetten Realms campaign setting 2nd edition
http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/fr/frbox2.htm

#1107 Council of Wyrms box set
http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/dd1/wyrmbox.htm

#1031 Forgotten Realms campaign setting - first edition
http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/fr/frbox.htm

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 pm 

AWESOME!
Thanks David.

I love this place!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 am 

Ciao John, my reccomendation is to look up in a TSR catalog the first 4 digit of the codes you find in a map: this should match with the overall product code.
ciao
axel

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!