Habitition of the Stone Giant Lord
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 am 

Hi All,

The PlaGMaDA.org project received a very generous donation recently, The Habitition of the Stone Giant Lord.  I noticed your discussion of it in threads long closed, but thought I would let those who remember it take a look inside:

http://plagmada.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3222

Best,

Tim H

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am 

Very cool.
Thank you for posting your scans.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 am 

Mentioned it again, just the other day... ^^

Did you manage to track down the author?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 am 

Hey guys,

Tim found me through the grapevine that is this online collectible community network regarding some of my upcoming sales. When Tim showed me this online documentation project he was working on, I immediately thought of things that I had milling about my collection. By that time, we had actually already planned to meet up to look at things and hang out for an afternoon this past weekend, so I had already planned my initiative for a bit of a surprise.  

By the time he had left our meetup, I had managed to find a tidy stack of materials that I had accumulated on the collecting trail all these years. You know, those homebrew character sheets, maps, notes, addendum to existing adventures, or flat-out stand alone adventures; that you find in the bottom of rules sets or folders in the middle of all of the 'good stuff'. Items that I don't even know if a market exists for such an item if I were to try to sell it. (I recall a thread somewhere here about this sort of material)

Tim can describe it better than I could, but it seems to me the project's mission is to highlight certain artifacts that reveal the honest energy the early days of gaming, featuring the handcrafted materials of the common gamer. I encouraged Tim to post some of the materials here in the hopes that some of you guys might have a stack of this same sort of material milling about the recesses of your collection. If you do, and believe in the project, you might want to contact Tim to make a donation of your material, and keep a lookout for this purpose going forward.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:49 am 

faro:  No, I haven't been able to track down the author yet but I am doing my best.  I am just about to begin the "awkward phone call" portion of the research, as the internet isn't proving very helpful.

and:

The Play Generated Map and Document Archive was founded to preserve game play ephemera - basically anything made by players for play, especially for role playing games.  This includes used character sheets, game notes and maps, manuscripts, etc.  Most of this material winds up in the garbage as the creators stop gaming and move on to other things.  

The conceit is that these materials have cultural value to future researchers, they are bits of game play history and possibly even folk art.  They also have an aesthetic/nostalgic value, too.  Exhibitions from the collection have been organized at various educational and cultural institutions.

If any of you folks have material you'd like to donate, you can email me at [email protected] or PM me through this site.

Best,

tim h

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 pm 

The Habitition G2~squared hits the blogosphere!

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/24/homema ... -1981.html

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 am 

I tracked down the author, a somewhat difficult task with a 30 year old text written under an alias.  His name is Gaius Stern, he'd made the book when he was 14 years old, and the other four or five books he'd made were thrown away by his mother.  Alas!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:14 pm 

It just needs to be PDFd and put on one of those PoD sites.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:30 am 

copycat wrote:It just needs to be PDFd and put on one of those PoD sites.

Actually, I'm working on a book of juvenilia like the Stone Giant Lord module.  Numerous other imitiation modules have come out of the woodwork and I'm seeking out the creators with an eye towards a single book of several adventures.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 am 

plagmada wrote:I tracked down the author, a somewhat difficult task with a 30 year old text written under an alias.  His name is Gaius Stern, he'd made the book when he was 14 years old, and the other four or five books he'd made were thrown away by his mother.  Alas!

Wow, that's impressive.  Good work.  

Moms:  the ultimate devourers.   :lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 pm 

and since Tim hasn't mentioned it..

he has a Lickstarter going on at the moment..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tim ... d-art-book

"This is the first book in a forthcoming series, The Hutchingsonian Presents, texts that occupy the Bermuda Triangle between game history, game play, and high art."

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:23 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:he has a Lickstarter going on at the moment..

Oh really?!?   :lol:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:47 pm 

lol.. Dam.. I better copyright that one fast.. It will of course get more people loking at it;)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:44 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:and since Tim hasn't mentioned it..

he has a Lickstarter going on at the moment..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tim ... d-art-book

"This is the first book in a forthcoming series, The Hutchingsonian Presents, texts that occupy the Bermuda Triangle between game history, game play, and high art."

Thanks for the mention!  As a general lurker on your forums I wouldn't feel right stomping in here and yelling about the stuff I have for sale.