F3 Many Gates of the Gann PREVIEW
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm 

I'm overdue for another preview, so here's Andy "ATOM" Taylor's awesome (and very moody!) illustration which will appear on the back cover of the module:

And also the black & white version that appears on the title page of the module:

Local legend says those enormous ape head statues devour anyone who approaches the entrance during the day. Want to find out whether it's true?  :twisted:

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm 

IMO The black and white version catches the perfect mood.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:33 am 

Eerie!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:49 am 

FormCritic wrote:IMO The black and white version catches the perfect mood.

i agree but there's the drawback that you loose the dark-red gloomy eyes within the shadow...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:12 am 

It's been a while, but it's time for some news, plus another preview. First, the news:

Artwork is finished (woo!), and F3 Many Gates of the Gann is in the proofing stage. The print house has the digital files, and the first proof should be in my hands tomorrow! If the first proof looks good, I'll place the order for the print run, which means the module might be available for purchase as early as next week. (Fingers crossed!)

Earlier previews already showed off some of the cool illustrations by Stefan Poag and Andy "ATOM" Taylor, but the module also features the awesome talent of three other artists: Jason Sholtis, John Larrey, and Zhu Bajie. So here's a preview of those three in action...

First is an illustration by both Jason Sholtis and John Larrey. Or rather, just part of an illustration. What are these guys stalking? And hey! Did that one just look at me?

Second, here's one of the super-detailed illustrations by Zhu Bajie. That dude on the iron throne can't see, can he? His gem-studded helm has no eye slits. Wanna fight him? I'm sure you can beat him ;)

Guy Fullerton

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:I'm overdue for another preview, so here's Andy "ATOM" Taylor's awesome (and very moody!) illustration which will appear on the back cover of the module:

[ Image ]

And also the black & white version that appears on the title page of the module:

[ Image ]

Local legend says those enormous ape head statues devour anyone who approaches the entrance during the day. Want to find out whether it's true?  :twisted:

I like the black & white better.
Fantasy art can get too "realistic" for my taste.
The B&W evokes that sense of wonder that I enjoy.

Also like the module's cover: As I mentioned on your blog, it reminds me of M.C. Escher.

Good luck!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:
That dude on the iron throne

[ Image ]

Why is he holding a huge sewing needle?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 am 

Good eye, FormCritic! ;)

Guy Fullerton

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:07 pm 

The first proof was ready on March 21 as expected, but there were some color and trim issues, so I had to make a couple small tweaks and re-send the digital files to the print house. The second proof was ready yesterday, and it turned out perfectly! F3 is now officially in the printing stage; I will be picking up the first print run next Wednesday (March 28) and it will be available for purchase shortly after that ... probably as soon as March 29.

Here's a look at the proof. The images are intentionally small, to help avoid spoilers. Even so, some MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW...

The retro-style detached cover and the interior 28 page module booklet. The front cover artwork is by Stefan Poag, and the title page illustration is by Andy "ATOM" Taylor:

Page 2 includes a brief Introduction (background), Notes for the Dungeon Master (with 7 rumors/seeds), and General Features describing the mundane and special physical features of the "dungeon." Page 3 begins the Key to the Upper Level, and has a sidebar describing the Servitor Apes.

Pages 14 and 15 describe areas 62 through 72, including the "Lodge for Erstwhile Cannibals," and "Scriptura-Morphu." Two of these illustrations are by Stefan Poag, with one by Jason Sholtis.

Page 26 describes the last two keyed areas (119 and 120) and features a super-detailed illustration by Zhu Bajie. Page 27 is the New Monster description (Zerpanax), with an enormously cool illustration by Stefan Poag.

The inside of the detached cover for F3 Many Gates of the Gann has the maps for the Upper Level and Middle Level. Portions of the maps are obfuscated in order to avoid spoilers.

Grainy (sorry!) closeup of a portion of the Upper Level map on the inside of the detached cover.

Grainy (sorry!) closeup of a portion of the Middle Level map on the inside of the detached cover.

Guy Fullerton

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 pm 

Great! The module looks wonderfull!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:19 pm 

Ditto :)  I'm on board - looks great!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:05 am 

This is the one I played while visiting CA last in Sept or Nov, right, Guy?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 am 

Yes :D

Guy Fullerton

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 pm 

Guy, I have to say these - F1 and F3 - are the nicest looking D&D modules in twenty years. I think Kuntz had some nice one's too (CAS1, etc.), and the DCC's are obviously well done. But these look stunning.

Looking forward to F2.

I understand how some would want to do something different, but the retro look will always sell. It's classic. It's perfect. I know artwork is expensive, but (good) artwork is worth every penny. It sets the feel for the adventure, and brings the reader right into it. I'd rather have top notch artwork, and pay 15 or 20 bucks, than have a cheaper product for 10.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 pm 

Looking forward to reading more about the complex---I enjoyed our carouse through the first level :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Previous