Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 111123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:44 am 

Mars wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Dreadmire still being flogged on Ebay by the author - still trying to get anything he can get for the book:

It really is a solid book at that price.  The author put a lot of time and effort into its creation.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 pm 

I picked up one of these a while back.  I actually thought it was a pretty good resource and well worth the money.  I'd recommend it for any swamp style encounters or adventures.

I think a couple of items were weak on the info, but overall a good book.  :)

Carpe DM!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:54 pm 

Actually, the book clearly worth his price. It is a very interesting setting. I am surprised that he didn't sell better.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:56 pm 

Agree with the guys above....

This book should have sold better than it did when originally published.

Mars wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Dreadmire still being flogged on Ebay by the author - still trying to get anything he can get for the book:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Anyone who does not have a copy and passes on one at this price is missing a great value.
I can understand why this book did not sell at the original price to be honest as it was priced too high when so many supplements were being pushed out the doors by so many companies at the same time.
But now.... for less than the cost of a burger and fries, this is an Excellent value and a nice resource for any RPG system.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:13 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:I am surprised that he didn't sell better.

Aside from the high price, didn't this book also have a number of people accusing the author of stealing and publishing their material without there permission?  I seem to recall we had a discussion about this a while back.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 pm 

Mars wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:didn't this book also have a number of people accusing the author of stealing and publishing their material without there permission?  

Really?  :?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:50 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:
Mars wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:didn't this book also have a number of people accusing the author of stealing and publishing their material without there permission?  

Really?  :?

Yes, it was a big controversy way back when.  Basically the author took material on other sites online and used it in his book without attribution, then lied about it.

That being said, it's a good book for the price. I have to believe he printed far too many of these bitd and now is still stuck with boxes and boxes of them (sort of like my Judges Guild piles).

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:33 pm 

That's bad :/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

cdenham wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Don't know anything about this one....  Anyone???

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thanks for bringing this one back up.  I'd lost it off my radar.  I have tracked down and contacted the author so will see how many extra copies he has or even if he would be interested in doing a reprint.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm 

You are welcome.   :D

Please keep me posted on what you find out.  I'd certainly be interested but I this current asking price is a bit much for me.  :)

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:48 am 

cdenham wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Please keep me posted on what you find out.  I'd certainly be interested but I this current asking price is a bit much for me.  :)

Yes. the seller's asking price is ridiculous.  The current pricing puts it at Daystar West or TSR tournament edition module prices whereas this items is simply a small press item where the author overstepped is using D&D branding.  

Off hand this would be the 3rd copy I have seen (assuming the is the same one this seller asked about a while back here on the Acaeum).  You start going down the list and I believe a couple of the higher paying collectors already have their copy so probably $100 is really where this one is probably at.

If the author ends up having half a dozen extra copies then that price plummets to probably around $40-$50.  If the author has a dozen copies or a box full then this will become very cheap.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 am 

Not sure if this is a good price for a well-used copy.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:03 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Carpe DM!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Get them while they're hot.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm 

That BIN was set up for me so thanks to whoever picked up both copies...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 am 

dbartman wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:That BIN was set up for me so thanks to whoever picked up both copies...

harami2000 - I will reveal speculators without remorse.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:
dbartman wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:That BIN was set up for me so thanks to whoever picked up both copies...

harami2000 - I will reveal speculators without remorse.

Excuse me, but who is speculating here?

Making multiple purchases on a very small number of occasions to help justify otherwise extortionate international shipping costs is not "speculating", as such. Indeed, it's rather difficult to "speculate" when copies are given away free of charge (Castle Zagyg Upper Works, PotVQ and Misty Isles reprints, etc.) or deliberately swapped for items of lower value (some of which were given away to people who would actually use them). It was, however, amusing to see two of the PotVQ reprints that I'd given away/swapped for near-zero value be resold by the recipients for $125+ each.

If, for any reason, you have a bee in your bonnet about the more recent set of John Scott Clegg items, I think you'll find that - as expected - there are still a large number of those requiring to be shifted: at least $1,500 of otherwise "dead stock" which Doug and co. would presumably prefer to have for con funds and/or to pass back to the author within a sensible timeframe. With that many copies to shift, there was no way on earth these were going to vanish in a couple of days/suddenly become more valuable and anyone who wanted a set could have, and still can have, one at $75. The only difference my so-called "speculation" made was to add $750 to the sales total and ensure there would be a number of sets on this side of the pond for easier distribution - as freebies, swaps or whatever - at local postage rates: I cannot personally see that these will increase in value in any way above-and-beyond what a reseller could easily make (several times over?) from bulk lots or items that slip through eBay on the cheap.
Not that I should need to "defend" myself, anyhow, as I thought we were all meant to be "Acaeum buddies" around here, but having just checked back to the thread, even if I was "speculating" you yourself stated that was "cool" ( Re: Tombs of Valla and John Scott Clegg Productions ). Why the sudden apparent change of heart/tone of voice?

Anyhow; with regards to Escape from the Minotaur's Lair, a more sensible question might be "why $100"? If $100 is a "fair price" then the other copy currently listed at $150 (zero bids, thus far) will presumably go unsold.
As the seller can confirm, I was underbidder on the original auction and they set me up a second chance BIN at $169.99. I sent them an email the same day to ask whether they had any other copies as I could round up other interested people depending on how many others they had to sell but they chose not to reveal that in their delayed response -- delayed enough that I missed my own BIN.
Thank you, Jason, for the post here: I'd probably have been too late by the time my email notification arrived from eBay.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:24 am 

faro wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:*
Thank you, Jason, for the post here: I'd probably have been too late by the time my email notification arrived from eBay.

No problem. What is this? The People's Republic of the Acaeum. It's capitalism, baby. Don't they do private sales on ebay anymore?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 111123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 109110111