Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 43 of 111123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:17 pm 

I've seen 3 or 4 of these sold - none topping over $100.  But it seems like $300+ has become a going rate lately.  I've passed on it a couple times too - I heard it wasn't very good (surprisingly that has stopped me).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:43 am 

Mars wrote:I've passed on it a couple times too - I heard it wasn't very good (surprisingly that has stopped me).

You have limits?

8O

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 am 

Ha, limits.  We had an interesting conversation about this recently.. just for fun, weigh some books, multiply by the number per shelf, then the number of shelves, then the number of bookcases... then add something for the wood... finally, look up your local building code's weight-per-square foot limit and compare.    :D

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:52 pm 

Thunderdave! wrote:Ha, limits.  We had an interesting conversation about this recently.. just for fun, weigh some books, multiply by the number per shelf, then the number of shelves, then the number of bookcases... then add something for the wood... finally, look up your local building code's weight-per-square foot limit and compare.    :D

All my stuff is in storage, and was weighed.  I'll just say that I own a LOT of paper and leave it at that...

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:02 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:You have limits?

I know - its very strange.  I don't what turned me off of this book.  The only other one that I can think of (off hand) that I have very little interest in is "Akbar's House" or something like that.

I will be updating the "Stump the Forum" thread fairly soon with a couple small press gems :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm 

Thunderdave! wrote:Ha, limits.  We had an interesting conversation about this recently.. just for fun, weigh some books, multiply by the number per shelf, then the number of shelves, then the number of bookcases... then add something for the wood... finally, look up your local building code's weight-per-square foot limit and compare.    :D

Exactly!  I moved recently and I planned to store my collection in my upstairs office.  However, running a quick calculation:

Ontario building code builds structure to support 30 pounds per sq ft in the room.
The office is about 12 feet X 17 feet X 30 lbs = 6120 pounds max for the room or it may collapse.

One shelf of books weighs approximately 60 pounds, 5 bookshelves per bookcase + ~100 lbs per bookcase itself => 400 pounds per bookcase.
12 bookcases * 400 pounds each => 4800 pounds.
Add another 1000 pounds for other furniture: desk, tables, chair, etc
Add another 500 pounds for the boxed sets that sit on top of the shelves, ...
Allow 1000 pounds for a few people to be in the room as well, ...
----------
Total weight: 7300 pounds
Allowable weight - Actual weight:  6120 - 7300 => need extra structure for an additional 1180 pounds => Crap! These are just guidelines right?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:41 pm 

:lol:

This is why I like to live in lofts carved out of converted factories/warehouses.  Poured concrete floors eliminate the issue of how much paper I'm stacking on top of them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm 

Finally, someone who could have fairly used the word rare, but didn't:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

(If anyone wants more info, I can post the whole story about versions and variations of this book)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:45 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Finally, someone who could have fairly used the word rare, but didn't:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

(If anyone wants more info, I can post the whole story about versions and variations of this book)

I neither play nor follow Warhammer, so I have no idea what this is.  But it sure looks cool.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:56 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:(If anyone wants more info, I can post the whole story about versions and variations of this book)

Happy to hear more, Steve.  IIRC the original ms. was available online back in the pre-web internet days, and my assumption (ha!) was that it eventually got published.  I'd love to hear more.

OT:  since Warhammer FRPG essentially didn't have a magic system (as I recall it---perhaps we just didn't like what was there?), we just used the Ars Magica system in our games back in university.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:46 am 

Bracton wrote:I neither play nor follow Warhammer, so I have no idea what this is.  But it sure looks cool.

The short version of the history of Realms Of Sorcery: It was listed as the "coming soon" magic supplement in the original 1986 WFRP HC.  A few missteps, and a mere 15 years later... it was released!   8O  That's basically why this seemingly random book has a limited edition, but not, say, the core book.

As for looks, it's great.  Real leather, nice and supple, not like most of the hard leather limited editions that come out (also nice, but not quite as nice to hold, I think).

grodog wrote:Happy to hear more, Steve.  IIRC the original ms. was available online back in the pre-web internet days, and my assumption (ha!) was that it eventually got published.  I'd love to hear more.

OT:  since Warhammer FRPG essentially didn't have a magic system (as I recall it---perhaps we just didn't like what was there?), we just used the Ars Magica system in our games back in university.

The original version by Ken Rolston, c. 1990, was completely different from this work.  He also wrote a companion manuscript, Realm Of Divine Magic.  Neither came to be officially published.  Both were (and presumably still are) easily available online.

This one was written by Ken and Jo Walton.  The name similarity probably adds some confusion.  It's completely different, and aside from the title, has little to do with the other idea.

WFRP did have a magic system before this, but it was just a thin conversion from WFB 3E, and thus focused only on battle magic.

Anyway, now some words on this limited edition, from an email from James Wallis (head of Hogshead) that I was smart enough to save:

Aha, the leatherbound Realms of Sorcery... the problems we had with that book. Here's a potted version of the history.

We planned to produce 120: 100 signed and numbered, and 20 unsigned and unnumbered--the former for sale, the latter as complimentary copies to creatives and business partners (e.g. Games Workshop Licensing). What actually happened was that we printed and shipped all 120, and then discovered that about 25% of them had the pages in the wrong order. Massive recall, reprint, loss of face, etc. etc. and there went our profit margin. I believe that all bar one of the screwed-up copies were destroyed.

Signed-limiteds have an A5-size cream bookplate on the inside front cover, stating their authenticity and signed by the authors and (I think) me. The unlimiteds don't, though some do have a personal dedication from me thanking the recipient for their work. Though now I reactivate that part of the cortex, I recall a couple were put aside for charity auctions, and may have an inscription saying so. But the bottom line is that 120 copies is all.

The colour of the leather doesn't mean anything. When people ordered a copy we gave them a choice of red, cream or black (I think--it's been ten years. There were only three colours anyway). The unnumbereds were, I think, evenly split between the three.

His memory mostly gels with what I've turned up on my own.  I have Graeme Davis' presentation copy (red) and a "regular" limited edition (#68, black).  I thought I had a pic, but apparently not.  I have never seen a third color, whatever it is - James said cream, another source mentions maroon (although why they would have done red and maroon is questionable).

These seem to come up on average about a little less than one per year, but there was a weird period in the middle of 2010 where several popped up (coincidence - sellers on multiple continents), which skewed the average a little higher - one every other year is probably more realistic over the longer term.  In total, I think I've seen five (counting the current one) since 2007-8.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 am 

when i bought the personal unnumbered copy of james wallis back in august 2005, he had indicated in a letter to me that 102 (undamaged) copies had been made, with 100 being distributed. the remaining two (unnumbered) copies went to james wallis and someone else. when this topic last came up i posted the contents of the letter he had written to me.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm 

Right.  So it's James' memory vs. James' memory.  No way to know which version is right, unless at least one more unnumbered copy surfaces.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 pm 

Hi,

James Wallis is actually back in the Hobby, after a few years away from the fold.

Cheers,
KAL

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 pm 

Indeed.  I think he was working on the new version of Dragon Warriors, along with a couple other things.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 pm 

Not sure if this is "interesting," but figured I'd call attention to it:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 pm 

sixth printing Feb 1978 (in the third pic)
Fourth Edition
Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am 

For the complete geomorphicisit:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 43 of 111123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 109110111