Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 34 of 111123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:43 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
TheHistorian wrote:
You have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to be known as smarmy2?"

There can be only one, smarmy1, of course.

Never fear, at The Historian's query, set a land speed record to the den to remove the offending "stuff.".  :)

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 am 

What are these books?!?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

...apparently they are related to frpgs but i never heard about them... are they interesting?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 am 

They aren't related to RPG's at all..
Time life bought out lots of those series books.. collect all 20 volumes etc that sort of thing, first one is $5.. the rest are $50 etc

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 am 

Only related to RPGs as much as Bulfinch's Mythology. Time-Life produced a series of collected myths and fairy tales back when I was a wee lad. My sister had most of these (I believe my youngest cousin has them now). They separated them into general topics, such as Ghosts and Hauntings, Elves, Tales of Valor, and one was even Christmas themed.

Very basic level stuff as I recall. You can get more thorough info on such topics elsewhere.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Ghosts and Hauntings, Elves, Tales of Valor, and one was even Christmas themed.

I like the first volume, Wizards & Witches. The concept is however stretched too thin over the rest of the series.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm 

They were cool at the time.  Solid hardcovers with nice illustrations.  Time Life printed TONS of these though, so if you want it, a complete set of Enchanted World (21 volumes) would be on the order of $100, at most.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:57 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
grodog wrote:Leading Edge Aliens board wargame in shrink, 3 hours left, $76 atm:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110954883375

Finally home from work and this was here waiting for me. I am having a Smarmy moment, though...I bought it to use, but tearing the shrink is somehow giving me pause!

LOL.  Well, Bill, I'd be happy to fix that problem for you if you bring the game to GaryCon :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:They aren't related to RPG's at all..
Time life bought out lots of those series books.. collect all 20 volumes etc that sort of thing, first one is $5.. the rest are $50 etc.

Really?  I had no idea they were worth that much.  Hmmm.....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 am 

no.. thats what they do with those series, first one is cheep to suck you in then you have to buy the rest at "full" price.. Can't rember what they were $.. but prob somthing like that

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am 

It's a mail order business model/sales technique designed to take advantage of the fact that people are lazy about writing.  They would send you the first one free or for a nominal cost, but you had effectively subscribed to the series and had to write them a letter to cancel.  Of course, your letter might never arrive, or take 6-8 weeks to process.  Meanwhile, the price was relatively high for subsequent books in the series and they just kept coming to your mailbox.

There were fantasy, magic/occult/ WW2, Civil War/ Wild West and numerous other series.  They all seem to start out with a fairly good book to get sales started.  Frequently, the second book is pretty good too.  Then they start sprinkling dross in with the occasional good book... leaving some interesting topic for the final book in the series.  Since people are 1. lazy 2. thought they were collecting and 3. don't pay attention to the value of individual books....   many people were apparently willing to buy 2 boring books they didn't want for $10 or $20 in order to get the one further in the series that they might want.  

It was quite the racket based upon the number of these we have encountered in thirty years of bookselling.  The sets are more rationally priced now.  Most full sets have over a dozen hardback books, look nice on a shelf and run $40 to $90 per set.  Like most things, they are better value now than when new... which makes it more tolerable to put up with the dogs.

The real problem with these sets for a bookseller is that they are space hogs.  You spend more shelf space on storage and/or display than you want to.   This is especially true if you try to assemble sets from loose volumes since you have them taking up space waiting to become a set worth enough to sell.  I have a tendency to put them under my pool table and end up bumping my toes on them, lol.

Almost all are fun reads, oriented toward average reading ability, with good pictures and drawn from widely available public sources.  In other words, there's no meat on 'dem bones.

Pipswich

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:27 pm 

Original CoC Keeper's Screen in nice shape at a decent price:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Not "rare", but not seen everyday either.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

Every time these pop, I think, "Wow, that's really cool cover art!"  The I reread a description of the game and realize I'd never open them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 pm 

Occasionally a game designer confuses the commitment of intellect, energy and time required to manage their game with that required to cure cancer or at least raise enough money to help eradicate polio or other now preventable illnesses.

ie..  reading the back cover was enough to give one a headache....   I suppose I could create a rpg multiverse with allergen free grass, lol, but really, why bother since I can't actually live in it.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am 

Pipswich wrote:   I suppose I could create a rpg multiverse with allergen free grass, lol, but really, why bother since I can't actually live in it.

Agree.
I much prefer to live in a world with Dragons and Pixies....  :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 am 

Jorune 2nd ed in UK, great shape, ending today:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:26 pm 

First time I've seen a Grenadier gold box set with not only one of the 'golden' minis, but the insert sheet for the drawing of an oz. of gold.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:59 pm 

Interesting misprint variant of Role-Playing Mastery:

Not $999 interesting, but still interesting :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm 

I've never seen this good of a Warpstone lot before.  Wish it had come up before I hunted them all down individually!

Should be fun to watch...

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 34 of 111123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 109110111