Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 31 of 111123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 am 

increment wrote:
ExTSR wrote:It's more than a little strange that BoardGameGeek seems to lack a picture of 'big pink' from 1959, the 1st printing of Dip. Its cartoon cover portrays 1950s Americans in a cocktail-party setting, and its overall color is pink. The only one I've ever found was owned by famed boardgame designer/collector Sid Sackson, and I'm extremely glad I grabbed that ultra-rare copy.

Yeah those self-published editions are quite rare. I turned over quite a few stones trying to find one. This one here is a Games Research edition, probably from the early 1970s. The board in it is still a rendition of the original Calhamer board from 1959, though. Rarer still would be the Game of Realpolitik pre-pub, but fortunately there are scans online.

http://www.diplom.org/~diparch/diplomacy_rules.htm

I have never played this game, but i am glad to see that in the maps of the game my home town seems to be the capital of former Yugoslavia!  8O

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 am 

aia wrote:I have never played this game, but i am glad to see that in the maps of the game my home town seems to be the capital of former Yugoslavia!  8O

Austria-Hungary and Italy have the distinction of being the only countries in Diplomacy that have abutting cities.  This results in a lot of friction.  Trieste attacks Venice or Venice, Trieste.  Usually it is the Italians that start it, though. :o

LB

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 pm 

aia wrote:I have never played this game, but i am glad to see that in the maps of the game my home town seems to be the capital of former Yugoslavia!  8O

Your mean Trst? On this map, it appears on the wrong side of the Istrian peninsula. In general there are some funny borders that only existed for a short time in the period depicted, such as the Aegean coastline of Bulgaria.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

Spring 1901

Fleet: Naples to Ionian Sea
Army: Rome to Apulia
Army: Venice to Trieste ("pssst, just a ruse, it will bounce back if you hold, I don't want Turkey to spot what I am up to...")

(whistles innocently...)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:25 pm 

red_bus wrote:Spring 1901..

Looks like I'll have to win the auction in order to submit my move in accordance with the rules. In the meantime, I'll just improvise: 1910 Fruitgum Company. Flying saucers to Prague, Superman attacks Paris. Your turn!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:46 pm 

Ack! not the Czech Saucers outmaneuver. All is lost !!  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:58 am 

sauromatian wrote:Your mean Trst?

oh, please, dont call Trieste that way... it'd be considered offensive here... Trieste has a very very complicated history, especially in the 19th and 20th century... Trst is the yugoslavian translation of the real name of the town, Trieste (btw, Trieste comes from the latin "tergeste" which means "built three times": it's likely that in origin my town was destroyed and rebuilt 3 times... i am ref to Roman age!)... and due to huge problems we had here during WWII with Yugoslavia and Tito's army, this is not the nicest way to call it (in the past those who want to hurt citizens used to write on walls "Trst je nas" which means "Trieste is our").

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 am 

aia wrote:oh, please, dont call Trieste that way... it'd be considered offensive here... Trieste has a very very complicated history, especially in the 19th and 20th century... Trst is the yugoslavian translation of the real name of the town, Trieste (btw, Trieste comes from the latin "tergeste" which means "built three times": it's likely that in origin my town was destroyed and rebuilt 3 times... i am ref to Roman age!)... and due to huge problems we had here during WWII with Yugoslavia and Tito's army, this is not the nicest way to call it (in the past those who want to hurt citizens used to write on walls "Trst je nas" which means "Trieste is our").

An interesting perspective on history. If I understand you correctly:
1st century BC - Spartacus invades Italy, forcing its native inhabitants to let the Balkan aggressors do their menial/unpleasant/dangerous tasks of labor & entertainment.
1941 - Tito kidnaps thousands of Italian troops, compelling the hapless soldiers to spend several years in the bleak Yugoslavian lands with naught but ungrateful local women to sleep with, & civilians who kept getting in the way during target practice.
1945 - The natural order of things is disrupted. But don't worry, someday it will all be made right again.
1999 - The Serbs need help in filling out their European Union membership application, once again requiring Italian assistance to show the way. It's just as Quintus said to Russell Crowe, "A people should know when they've been conquered."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:07 am 

TOSSERLAD!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 pm 

This guy has a pile of new/sealed MERP up for crazy prices. But they are all re-listed as they did not sell last week. Now might be a good time for someone to drop him a message and suggest a bulk purchase at a lower price (maybe).  :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Let's go fly a kite

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:01 pm 

They haven't sold for months at the least. It's been so long, I don't recall when they first appeared.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 pm 

Year(s)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:57 am 

SimperingToad wrote:They haven't sold for months at the least. It's been so long, I don't recall when they first appeared.

It is costing him $6 a year at the prices he is asking (if the are all priced at his The Shire level). I doubt these are ever going to reprinted and the Tolkien estate seems to have moved from licensing RPGs to Miniature games. Is he ever going to be able to replace them and at what cost?

I have no idea who this guy is, though people selling these kinds of MERP items are probably benefiting immensely from his high asking price. It is always nice to have someone to undercut.

There are definitely two very different philosophies between a collector looking to sell unwanted or extra items and a reseller looking for top dollar. I have no idea what a shrinkwrapped 2nd edition MERP Shire book should go for. How off-base is his pricing?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:16 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
SimperingToad wrote:They haven't sold for months at the least. It's been so long, I don't recall when they first appeared.

It is costing him $6 a year at the prices he is asking (if the are all priced at his The Shire level). I doubt these are ever going to reprinted and the Tolkien estate seems to have moved from licensing RPGs to Miniature games. Is he ever going to be able to replace them and at what cost?

I have no idea who this guy is, though people selling these kinds of MERP items are probably benefiting immensely from his high asking price. It is always nice to have someone to undercut.

There are definitely two very different philosophies between a collector looking to sell unwanted or extra items and a reseller looking for top dollar. I have no idea what a shrinkwrapped 2nd edition MERP Shire book should go for. How off-base is his pricing?

If he's dropping these in with his 50-free-per-month listings, it's not costing a thing to list them.

When I had a bunch I was selling off a couple of years back, I not only checked here, but used the acaeum wiki price list. http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Prices:MERP Generally, the books sold within about 10% of the prices listed. There were a few surprises/disappointments. The Shire and Palantir Quest did not live up to expectations, for example, but River Running exceeded significantly.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:18 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:If he's dropping these in with his 50-free-per-month listings, it's not costing a thing to list them.

They are strictly BIN listings not auctions with BIN so they don't qualify for the 50-free-per-month.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:45 pm 

Mars wrote:
SimperingToad wrote:If he's dropping these in with his 50-free-per-month listings, it's not costing a thing to list them.

They are strictly BIN listings not auctions with BIN so they don't qualify for the 50-free-per-month.

They must be doing things differently in Canada. In the U.S., I've been getting the 50 free for quite some time (lost track it's been so long) with or without BIN.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:08 am 

Uncommon boardgame from IT (internation team):

http://cgi.ebay.fr/120980428016

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 am 

Quest of the ancients, good BIN, few hours to go:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 31 of 111123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 109110111