Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11112, 3, 4, 5 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 pm 

Well, the maps were sh'te, so I can only assume people though the little green books were a rarity.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:
Can someone tell me why this went for over $150?

Did I miss a hidden module somewhere?

Same reason as always - someone was interested in it.

*I* wouldn't have paid $1.50 for it, but hey, whatever makes 'em happy.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm 

Soon, we will see a lot of homebrew items pop up on ebay....

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:27 pm 

They desired that orange character sheet with original art.
That has to be it... :)

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:33 pm 

I know a dude with literally thousands of maps like this. And he could use the money...

Same seller is also offering Magic: the Gathering cards by the pound!  :lol:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:58 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Well, the maps were sh'te, so I can only assume people though the little green books were a rarity.

Well duh, the maps lead to treasure. A magic sword is worth way more than $150.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Never heard of this company and know little about miniatures.  This pumpkin head looks really cool.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am 

Rackham is (was?) a collectible miniature wargame company.  You could put together units based on points values with very powerful single or multiple minis and each had a card listing it's abilities, strengths and weaknesses.  I don't own any of the minis but I did play a few skirmishes using a friends collection.  Fairly easy game to grok and quite fun.  I think it ws intended to compete with WoTCs Chainmail minis line/game.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 am 

Rackham tried to compete with WotC Chainmail, GW's Warhammer and Reapers Warlord.

They are based in France and their Mini's were exquisite.  With a price that told you how much they thought of them.  
They were designed to run smaller skirmish type battles, but I never actually saw anyone try the game out.

I was into Warhammer and ended up buying up a ton of their Centaur models and built an entire Centaur army.  It was quite impressive and I had a great time playing it.

As their sales slumped they started retooling their miniatures instead of a heavier metal and individuals, they went to thinner models and sold them in sets of 3.  These, while I also got a bunch, were a nightmare.  Some of the weapons and parts were so delicate that simply touching them would break them.  I spent more time repairing those guys than I care to remember.  I couldn't go to a tournament without having to repair at least half a dozen.

Finally they did away with metal miniatures completely and I heard they were going to try selling pre-painted plastics for their game.  I haven't heard anything about them since then.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

From the price for the miniatures this seller has listed, I would have thought they were all nine inches tall. 8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:22 pm 

I had about 300 or so blisters of these last year.  Some of the original prices were $30-$40 each (pack of 1 mini).  The detail on some of them is excellent.  Last time I checked, the company had switched to doing plastics and then had gone out of business.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 pm 

...just speculating....

Out of business possibly because they sold single miniature blister packs for $40?

Good plan, guys.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:51 pm 

FormCritic wrote:...just speculating....

Out of business possibly because they sold single miniature blister packs for $40?

Good plan, guys.

Actually out of business due to bad business decisions.  This company was doing great until they went public.  Pressure to cut costs and grow the compnay put these guys under.  They were doing just fine selling top quality miniatures (some of the best ever made) then little by little they cut the quality of there product.  Going from a clientelle that craved highly detailed quality product to pre painted junk.

They left there core audience behind in an effort to make more dough and it fell flat, kinda reminds me of another compnay we all used to hold dear to our hearts doesn't it!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:07 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:They left there core audience behind in an effort to make more dough and it fell flat, kinda reminds me of another compnay we all used to hold dear to our hearts doesn't it!!

I was thinking that as I read:  "This sounds really familiar."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:55 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Actually out of business due to bad business decisions.  This company was doing great until they went public.  Pressure to cut costs and grow the compnay put these guys under.  They were doing just fine selling top quality miniatures (some of the best ever made) then little by little they cut the quality of there product.  Going from a clientelle that craved highly detailed quality product to pre painted junk.

They left there core audience behind in an effort to make more dough and it fell flat, kinda reminds me of another compnay we all used to hold dear to our hearts doesn't it!!

Have to love the continual growth and expansion mentality of capitolism, neh?

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:13 pm 

Scathaigh wrote:
Have to love the continual growth and expansion mentality of capitolism, neh?

Making bad business decisions has nothing to do with capitolism. In fact, the opposite is true. Investing in a company and then running it into the ground does not make for a happy investor.

In this instance, it sounds much more like, they were not making money doing what they were doing and they made changes. Many business start off in the negative and have fantastic products with extremely loyal customers. Then the bank loans start coming due and they can't pay them because the business model is just not working.

Afterall, if things were going so great, why change? Chances are they had problems before going public, or whatever they did. Do not confuse a great product line with business success. The two do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

What sucks is that a quality product is now gone. I don't know anything about them, but I know Blackie is on his game with miniatures. If he says they were quality, then I have to believe they were. But again, we just don't know how their bottom line worked - or most likely, it did not.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 pm 

Well, if Blackmoor's comments are accurate, I will sustain my snarky, if generalized, comment.  Though I should change it from capitolism to business...yes.

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 pm 

Sorry to yet again move off the on-going OFF TOPIC discussion...

But

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Canada listing.

Beast Maker Mountain with cover, seller also has Nanorian Stones with cover.

Apparently this seller knows which cover goes with which book... :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11112, 3, 4, 5 ... 109110111