Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:42 am 

Lou Zocchi used to sell photocopies of PotVQ, and his 'reprints' of many other products were near as damn it photocopies.
Does that not make his product line 'fake'?
Besides, every fanzine I've ever seen has been the handywork of some enterprising kid or club on their photocopier.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:29 am 

Phentari wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay: I suppose it's sort of like saying that a Gutenberg isn't an original Bible, eh? :)

I get the point but that was Not the best analogy you could have chosen.
The Guttenberg Bible, was in fact a first print.
The original first original first print of any major book in the history of the entire world.

So, no not even close to the same things.....   :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:23 am 

This was an interesting lot:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I've never heard of the Stone of Sandor.. nice pick up :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:55 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:This was an interesting lot:

Awesome deal 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 pm 

No kidding...
Right after Aaron's BIN listings, too.

Thunderdave wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:This was an interesting lot:

Even if "never heard of", a search locates one of the usual suspects more often than not. ;)

(Can't be that rare if I have a copy although I'm needing to hunt down a "missing" box as I've not seen In Quest of the Hand of Vecna, Wenches and Winekegs, The Quirp Quarp, Of Teddies and Toenail Gin, Quests for Adventurers and some other odds-and-ends that should be nearby for some time :?).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:06 pm 

Including the always tough to find issue 2:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 pm 

(Interesting additional item in with their OCE + supps., too.)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:47 pm 

Bracton wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Unsurprisingly, Jon put the point far better than I did.

It is certainly possible that the copies were made by the subscriber, to just have extra copies.  That would indeed be, in my view, an item of very little value (other than the novelty of being able to read something where likely ten or fewer copies are in existence).  And, if that is how these copies came to be, Zen's and Gnat's objection to giving any real value to them absolutely makes sense.

That, however, was not my assumption, based upon the fact that duplicate originals were not being sold, along with Jon's earlier posts and the opinion of another Acaeum member much more experienced in evaluating these types of items than I.

As Jon suggested, the original distribution of the Domesdays often appear to have been done via photocopies, made by Gary or others in the C&C Society.  IF that is the case with these copies, then they are in effect originals, just without the color paper cover.  It is impossible to tell from the pictures in an eBay auction whether this may be the case, and without provenance it may be forever impossible to be sure either way.  That being said, a few members on this forum (myself certainly not included) may be able to look at the copies and make an educated guess as to whether they were in effect part of the original distribution.

If they were, then I stand by my valuation.

I thought I would update the Domesday post.  I was the winner of the Domesdays.  I rarely comment on my purchases but I believe my EBay purchases have become not as secretive over the past couple of years.  There are quite a few of you that know me and I am apparently one of the "usual suspects" now.  As I had posted earlier, I believed with Stratochamp and Increment that there were 2 solid and obvious original DBs:  #6 and #10.  I also highly suspected that #12 was an original DB because the photo showed the staple in the upper left corner, the fold in the middle for mailing, and the staple mark in the top middle and bottom middle of the page where it was stapled together for mailing which was consistent with the original distribution for the later DBs.  In addition, I could tell in the dog ear on the upper left corner that the cover was a different color from the other pages.  #11 was too hard to tell and there was hope that it may be an original which was also why Increment did not rule it out.  

Upon receiving the DBs, the good news is that the covers of #11 and #12 are light blue green and different from the other pages.  Reviewing this information with the experts, we were able to confirm that #6, #10, #11, and #12 are indeed original DBs.  The remaining copies do appear to be period photocopies that could have been made by Gary or someone else in the C&C Society at the time of the C&C Society.  The fact that the later DBs #10-12 are originals could indicate that this individual acquired originals and the copies around the same time in early to mid 1971.  Overall, the exact time and origin of the copies may never be known.  The staple rust, fading and aging does indicate that they are old but there is not an exact date as of yet.  One other item that I was very pleased to discover is that stapled to the DB #4 are DBs #1, #2, and #3.  I was thrilled to behold these extremely rare DBs.  They are also copies likely produced at the exact same time as DB #4.

Overall, I personally am pleased to come away from this with 4 original DBs and what are likely 8 period copies of DBs.  It would have been interesting to see what the individual DBs would have sold for in the market today.  Until we see some come up for auction, it will likely be a lot of speculation.  It was a bit of a roll of the dice for this auction.  I may not have rolled a 20 on the D20 but I feel like it was at least a strong 18 or 19.   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Last edited by Melnibonean on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:04 pm 

Congrats!  Great pickup and thanks for sharing. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:25 pm 

Awesome buy!

I am personally very glad that you won these because I've seen some of your collection and I love that you are pulling together an amazing amount of gaming history.  :D

Congrats on the bonus finds too!

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 pm 

Wow, grats on the extras! Always great to pick up extras along the way. Also, thanks for being open with the results of the auction. I know I appreciate it, and I suspect others do as well. Taking all that into consideration, you got quite the deal for 14 grand. My hat's off to you!

Zenfinite

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:37 pm 

That is awesome Scott, what a great buy!

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 am 

Congratulations! Incredible auction.  Great to see these end up within the Acaeum community.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 am 

That's amazing, Scott!  I had thought you had a good buy originally, but confirming a fourth original, and with DB #1, #2 and #3 to boot, you really got a steal.  I can't wait to see them in person.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:26 pm 

Melnibonean wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay: The remaining copies do appear to be period photocopies that could have been made by Gary or someone else in the C&C Society at the time of the C&C Society.  The fact that the later DBs #10-12 are originals could indicate that this individual acquired originals and the copies around the same time in early to mid 1971.

I've seen contemporary letters indicating that Schleicher (who edited 6-11) was a bit lax in his mailings, and that Gary picked up the slack. So it's not at all unreasonable to find a C&CS member who received a #6, got nothing until a #10, wrote mail complaining to Gary, and Gary offered to supply copies. Getting a little more specific, I have a 1971 letter where Gary offers to actually send his own copies of those middle issues (#8 and #9) to a C&CS member, so the member could duplicate them and return them, provided that the member paid for all postage and did the copying themselves. Remember that this was a point where Gary was slightly underemployed. By the time he wrote that letter, even Gary only had a photocopy of DB#9, perhaps because he had loaned it out to someone who never returned it. Given the value we'd now attach to Gary's own copies of the DB, it is kind of funny to think of him shipping them to random people this way...

So yes, it's a great find Scott!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:54 pm 

Awesome snag Scott, especially to get period copies of 1, 2 and 3 as a bonus!  It's very unlikely that we will see an auction like that again.

Would be nice to get The Acaeum updated with some of those pictures...

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:48 pm 

Melnibonean wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:
Bracton wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Unsurprisingly, Jon put the point far better than I did.

I thought I would update the Domesday post.  I was the winner of the Domesdays....

[snipped]

Overall, I personally am pleased to come away from this with 4 original DBs and what are likely 8 period copies of DBs.  It would have been interesting to see what the individual DBs would have sold for in the market today.  Until we see some come up for auction, it will likely be a lot of speculation.  It was a bit of a roll of the dice for this auction.  I may not have rolled a 20 on the D20 but I feel like it was at least a strong 18 or 19.   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Dude you just won at Dungeons and Dragons!

And it wasn't Advanced!!!

individually that lot would have sold for twice what you paid for it...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:19 am 

This might be interesting for some of the fellow collectors:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111