Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 94 of 111123 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:30 am 

Bracton wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Less than an hour to go on a nice looking, first print Thieves' World.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I know I've said this before but I'm going to ask again...why so high on this? I won one of these in the $20 range. Great shape

is there something about this one that is special?

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:34 am 

If you look at the bidding you see that two bidders both wanted it and, I presume, got quite excited bidding against each other. Plus the box looks nice and there is an extra booklet (the thieves world "traitor" one).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:38 am 

The first print is also a bit harder to find than the later prints, especially in nice condition.  Although I have no idea if the bidders even knew it was a first print . . . .

Also, it's actually a good product.  Not that that necessarily has anything to do with price.   :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:48 am 

I really should look at my stuff before I post.. :idea:

I do not own this. It's the Mayfair Games version I have. Sanctuary or something. Doh  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:11 am 

Traitor is fairly easy to find and maybe only worth $10.  The Blue Camel is the tough Thieves World item to find.

I think $70 is a bit high for this one too unless it is mint or in shrink, etc.  I'm sure we have hashed out the printing sequence before but I forget if we ever obtained consensus (maybe for 1st and 2nd but later prints are a mishmash) - similar to Chaosium Stormbriger.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:02 pm 

Aren't the first printings of Chaosium boxed sets designated by a numerical sequence followed by an X?

I have an Elfquest and Pendragon and they both have the 1234-X which somewhere, someone told me meant 1st Printing?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:56 pm 

webrik33 wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Aren't the first printings of Chaosium boxed sets designated by a numerical sequence followed by an X?

I have an Elfquest and Pendragon and they both have the 1234-X which somewhere, someone told me meant 1st Printing?

Mark's going to know a lot more than I do about the printing sequences for Thieves' World.  But if I've got it right, the first one is 2007-X, and on the back, there is no text to the left of "ROBERT L. ASPRIN's" at the top.  The second print is also 2007-X, but has the words "SECOND EDITION" to the left of the name on the back.  Later printings have a starburst on the front of the box on the left side.  I have no idea if there are any differences in the interior material.  It did take me quite a while to find a really clean first.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:09 pm 

webrik33 wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Aren't the first printings of Chaosium boxed sets designated by a numerical sequence followed by an X?

No I don't think that is true.  I have 3 Thieves World boxes (all different prints) on the shelf and each one is labelled 2007-X.  Also 2 Stormbringer boxes: 2006-X (big box - 1st print) and 2101-X (later print).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:57 pm 

Right for Thieves World (all my boxes are 2007-X but it is not correct for Stormbringer. My four boxes are:
- big box 2006-X with green book
- small box 2006-X with red book
- small box 2101-X with red book
- small box 2101-X with 3 books.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:29 pm 

Here's the link for the Thieves World prints:  Thieves World different prints

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:30 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:Right for Thieves World (all my boxes are 2007-X but it is not correct for Stormbringer. My four boxes are:
- big box 2006-X with green book
- small box 2006-X with red book
- small box 2101-X with red book
- small box 2101-X with 3 books.

Thanks for posting that, I picked up a Stormbringer box not too long ago and haven't had a chance to look up where it fits in the printing sequence.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:46 pm 

i have four distinct printings of thieves world, but since they decided to refer to the 2nd print as a second edition, i have always described them that way on my lists. but for prior clarity i will use printings to compare to the points raised in the prior thread. my first print exactly corresponds. actually it's in the shrink, so who knows what is inside, but all the first prints i've seen look exactly alike. my 2nd print exactly corresponds. both of those printings have all brown text on the back. My 3rd print say second edition on the back, has the circle on the front that mentions the h.g. wells award, BUT all four of my prints have the large thieves world lettering on the long LEFT side of the box (where Mars had indicated for this print that his was on the right side). the back of the box for the 3rd print (and my "4th" print) is all in black text. it's in the shrink, and to save Ryan Simms life, I will refuse to remove it. Now the "4th" print is where things get interesting. on the box bottom in the lower right is a box (about 2.25" wide by 1.25" tall) with a barcode inside it and at the bottom of that inset box reads TW . $19.95 . ISBN 0-933635-01-X   Also the picture on the back of Lythande is in blue. The books inside are all different as well. The players guide to sanctuary has a burnt sienna cover, the game master's guide to sanctuary has a lime green cover, and the personalities of sanctuary is a light blue.

inside my 2nd print is a winter 1981 chaosium catalog. inside the "4th" print is a fall/winter 1986 catalog; however all of the books are still copyright 1981.

i decided to look more closely at the books. the "4th" print books are basically the 2nd prints with the cardstock covers removed (but they have not just been removed, this is definitely a different printing). the one slight change is that the 2nd print back cover of book 3 the personalities of sanctuary IS the back page of the book in the "4th" print and what had been page 64 (a list of the contributors and their bios) is gone.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:48 pm 

The -X notation for Chaosium was simply the early code used to identify box sets.  It has nothing to do with printing/version.  Similarly, -H was occasionally used to note hardcovers.

Strat is basically right on TW printings.  Here's a quick guide that might be a little easier to digest:

1st - lettering on back and sides is brown, back doesn't say second edition near the top, no white award circle on front, brown maps, contains two players' guides, personalities cover is purple, largest TW logo on box sides is on left, books have cardstock covers

2nd - lettering on back and sides is brown, back says second edition near the top, no white award circle on front, brown maps, contains one players' guide, personalities cover is purple, largest TW logo on box sides is on left, books have cardstock covers

3rd - lettering on back and sides is brown, back says second edition near the top, white award circle on front, black maps, contains one players' guide, personalities cover is red, largest TW logo on box sides is on right (or you can think of it as the cover art being printed upside down), books have cardstock covers

4th - lettering on back and sides is black, back says second edition near the top, white award circle on front, black maps, contains one players' guide, personalities cover is blue, largest TW logo on box sides is on left, books have paper covers

Putting that all together, it is possible to identify printings of sealed boxes.  Which is a nice change.

Stormbringer is more complicated.  Geraud and I have been working on this for a long time.  When I get a hold of the last version (well, we think it's last), I'll post a summary like the above.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:06 pm 

Good luck to you both on the Stormbringer printing identification.
That would be really valuable (and v. much appreciated here!!)   :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm 

Steve is very efficient in finding new variations in Chaosium boxed sets (even for CoC). Perhaps too efficient :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:36 pm 

what about Elfquest and Pendragon? or some of the other assorted boxed sets they produced? i haven't searched the forums for info so it may already be on here somewhere

also, are there multiple printings of tsr non D&D boxed sets? not editions per se, but does each edition have 1st, 2nd, etc, printings?

like boot hill, star frontiers, gamma world..

also just to pester you all, what about FGU boxed sets? any info out there other than what's on boardgame and rpg geek?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 am 

webrik33 wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay:what about Elfquest and Pendragon? or some of the other assorted boxed sets they produced? i haven't searched the forums for info so it may already be on here somewhere

also just to pester you all, what about FGU boxed sets? any info out there other than what's on boardgame and rpg geek?

CoC and RQ - lots and lots, I do have I-hate-to-risk-jinxing-it-but-I'm-going-to-say all of these, but I'd have to check my notes, as it's nearly as nuts as Stormbringer
Elfquest - 1st has books with small cover art, 2nd has books with full cover art
Superworld - 1st is 2011-X, 2nd is 2401-X
Pendragon, Ringworld, CoC and RQ supplements, Hawkmoon, Worlds Of Wonder - one each, as far as I've ever seen

I know a lot less about FGU.  I know of no variations for Bushido, Privateers & Gentlemen, Other Suns, Daredevils, Gangster!, or Lands Of Adventure boxes... but I'd have to admit that I wasn't really looking either.  There are two printings of the Bushido adventure Valley Of Mists - 1st is a two tone cover, the 2nd is full color.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 am 

Have the Call of Cthulhu ones been discussed somewhere before ? I'd be very interested to see those. (I will probably regret asking this if it turns out I'm missing a bunch of those boxes  :D  )

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 94 of 111123 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 109110111