Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 111123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:23 pm 

bbarsh wrote: Libraries, schools, etc, don't distribute (they may loan, but not distribute). Archive all you want. I don't give a care. But I simply pointed out that distribution is the key with IP issues.

Distribution is covered under § 108, including "deposit for research use in another library or archives." Surely a wargamer must remember what happened to the library at Alexandria, & the strategic need to protect against the possibility of invading hordes of barbarians.

Last edited by sauromatian on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

There was a BIN at $50, I don't understand why the bidder didn't buy it...

If I had been the first bidder there would not have been a 2nd one.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 pm 

bbarsh wrote: (rest of quote did not copy over)

It is not legal to obtain a pdf copy of a product that you did not purchase. It is that simple. No speculation involved. Also, it is not legal to distribute pdf copies of an item that you do not own, or have distribution rights. Again, no speculation involved.
Owning a copy of X1 does not give the owner the right to obtain a pdf copy of X1 from the internet unless it is purchased/obtained from the IP holder or distributor of X1. No speculation there either.

I am not an expert on "personal" use. I really could care less what you do with your copy of the legally obtained X1 in the confines of your home. Nobody does. Make a thousand copies and wall paper your house. But just don't supply your friend, or anyone else, with copies so they can wall paper their house. That is the line in the sand.

I know this does not anwer specifically the question about what can a person do to "back up" their purchased products. But I really don't care. Sort of like making a cassette tape of that old lp. Whatever.

Curiously, I think the law in Scotland is different to this. It is illegal to download a PDF from the internet (if you have not paid the IP owner for the right to do so), or to buy one from someone in another media format (CD etc). But, once the deed is done, it is perfectly legal to own and store them on your computer or removable media. The onus is on the prosecutor to prove that the downloading deed was done by the accused.

It is also illegal for someone who has not paid for the PDF to view it (use it), but again, possession, and a log indicating when it was last accessed is insufficient. The prosecutor must prove the accused has actually used the illegal file. Possession of the file is not an offense, just as possession in the UK of a flick knife is not an offense. It is illegal to buy, sell, trade, transport, distribute or use them, but ownership is perfectly legal. The same goes for illegal software, and any number of other illicit items. We have fairly bizaar laws.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Distribution is covered under § 108, including "deposit for research use in another library or archives." Surely a wargamer must remember what happened to the library at Alexandria, & the strategic need to protect against the possibility of invading hordes of barbarians.

Like I said, what you do in your own home is your business. Archive away. My personal beef is with distribution of illegal PDFs.

Watch out for those invading barbarians!  :D

Time for me to drop out before I get blasted for being part of the thread jack. Too late, I'm su.   8)

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:22 pm 

tiro wrote:
Seriously, there was a $50 BIN on this?

Yes, I hesitated, but since I already own this stuff, I decided to let another one get the chance to have it for a fair price. Finally, he won't...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:
Yes, I hesitated, but since I already own this stuff, I decided to let another one get the chance to have it for a fair price. Finally, he won't...

Hey Geraud,

Oh man if only I had known... :(

C'est la vie.

Best regards,
Ronald

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330684090079?ss ... 1431.l2649

An example of an item that had a BIN that should have been tapped.

Starting price was $59.99 and the Bin was $79.99 IIRC

It is at $81 now with 1 day 11 hours left for higher bids.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

An example of an item that had a BIN that should have been tapped.
Starting price was $59.99 and the Bin was $79.99 IIRC

It is at $81 now with 1 day 11 hours left for higher bids.

Umm....so why didnt you "tap" it?  You are the first bidder after all.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:37 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Umm....so why didnt you "tap" it?  You are the first bidder after all.

:roll:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:43 pm 

Maybe just expressing regret?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:52 pm 

Snarky comments brushed aside...
tiro wrote:Maybe just expressing regret?
This...

And not that I should have to explain... but at the time I was already watching another copy.
I won the other copy at $75.... and stopped bidding on the one above.
In the end, it turns you I should have just BINned the one above.
And avoided bidding on the first one.
You will have to make guesses as to why yourself, or just do some more detecting.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:08 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Snarky comments brushed aside...This...

Who are you calling snarky?  I was just genuinely curious.  Most people dont usually try to underbid something like that with a BIN that low unless they dont have a clue what it is or how much it normally goes for (like I did a few months back with a couple of Chaosium products).  The fact that you do know the item in question very well made it a valid question.

:?

I believe a few people are looking for this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weapons-Compend ... 4ab3f53af1

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Umm....so why didnt you "tap" it?  You are the first bidder after all.

Remember Rule #2, "Double tap." ;)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 pm 

Don't forget to limber up, first.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:51 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I believe a few people are looking for this:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I haven't seen this version of the cover before (although it is documented on yog-sothoth.com):  anyone know more about it?  The version I have is the plain jane black and white cover with horizontal lines:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/cocdbdetail.php?IS=L&ID=40

I also haven't seen the one with the sniper sights style cover.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:52 pm 

grodog wrote:I haven't seen this version of the cover before (although it is documented on yog-sothoth.com):  anyone know more about it?  The version I have is the plain jane black and white cover with horizontal lines.

No, but if you let someone with no copy (me) win, I'll tell you anything you want to know.  :D

The only thing I can guess is that the one you have is a later version, because it has a higher price.  Y-S notes a version up to 1.4d existing; that would seem to imply four printings.  Does yours have a notation of that sort?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:33 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:No, but if you let someone with no copy (me) win, I'll tell you anything you want to know.  :D

Hmmm, I'll give that due consideration, Steve :D :D

TheHistorian wrote:The only thing I can guess is that the one you have is a later version, because it has a higher price.  Y-S notes a version up to 1.4d existing; that would seem to imply four printings.  Does yours have a notation of that sort?

Mine is version 1.3 from 4/94 with a cover price of $20.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:29 am 

Non-D&D items of the early days but still interesting for the current price:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 111123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 109110111