Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am 

I also just got my boxed set yesterday. 5 / 200 :P

It's pretty nice. I checked all the corners, they seem pretty solid, verified "my" mountain is on the map.

Browsed through the books, no time to read them yet.

Looks like Chainsaw got some multi-colored dice, my set was all one color (not that it matters, just noticed)

If these go up for sale somewhere, people need to get a copy, especially if it's a limited print run

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am 

Looks like Chainsaw got some multi-colored dice, my set was all one color (not that it matters, just noticed)

I bought four copies (one to save, one to use, two for gifts) and each had multicolored dice. capitalbill's two copies both had all orange dice. I think Jeff mailed mine first - maybe he decided mixing dice colors was going to waste too much time (over hundreds of orders that he's hoping to get out in a very short period of time). I am happy to trade up to three of the multi-colored sets away to anyone who cares.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 am 

Thanks for the photos, Chainsaw. That box set kicks so much ass it's unreal.  

Jeff, this has gone to the top of my must-buy list, congratulations on what looks like a quality product here!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 am 

Badmike wrote:Thanks for the photos, Chainsaw.

You bet, man. A few of them are blurrier than I'd prefer; you can blame my unsteady hand and crappy camera phone. Still, I thought the project turned out very well, so I wanted to post them. We'll have to convince Jeff to attend NTRPG Con next year to run a few games.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 pm 

dmkastmaria wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:Well, well, well... look what I got in the mail today!  :mrgreen:

Man! It looks fantastic! Can't wait to get mine!  :D

I hate waiting!  :evil:

Looks awesome! Really, really awesome!  :D

Now, I must wait....  :evil:

Thanks for posting the pics.  :D

Now, I must wait...  :evil:

I know! It stinks, the waiting, but this really is a small home-grown operation, a "love for the hobby" type of venture, so thank you for being patient as I continue to leak out small batches at a time. When your game is shipped, you will know, because I will email you personally. I hope you like the game and that it is worth the wait! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and interest -- it really inspires me to work hard and get things done.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 pm 

grodog wrote:
Thank you for your lengthy reply, Jeff:  I owe you a beer when we're at GaryCon next!  I definitely got the strong literary vibe from your games at GaryCon, in which the inspirations shine through clearly (with Ian's art always as a great accompaniment too!).  

Glad to help! I love beer! Wait, I owe chainsaw a few beers for those great photos. We shall drink together at Gary Con! :)

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:Thanks for the photos, Chainsaw. That box set kicks so much ass it's unreal.  

Jeff, this has gone to the top of my must-buy list, congratulations on what looks like a quality product here!

Mike B.

Thanks Mike! That really means a lot to me. You and Doug are such great proponents for classic gaming, so I'm thrilled that you find the game interesting and worth looking into. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:I also just got my boxed set yesterday. 5 / 200 :P

It's pretty nice. I checked all the corners, they seem pretty solid, verified "my" mountain is on the map.

Browsed through the books, no time to read them yet.

If these go up for sale somewhere, people need to get a copy, especially if it's a limited print run

I had a lot of fun collaborating with you on Mt. Forptycle, and your ideas and thought processes melded perfectly with my own. Thank you! I'm glad the game looks good to you and that the box is solid enough to meet your expectations. Flimsy boxes never last long.

As far as the dice go, I'm afraid there is no set method going on here. There are some solid sets and some mixed sets.

Thanks for the positive words, encouraging like-minded gaming fellows to check it out. That's very kind of you.

Soon I will have the game up for general sale, and I'll be sure to announce it here when it goes live.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm 

Ghul wrote:As far as the dice go, I'm afraid there is no set method going on here. There are some solid sets and some mixed sets.

Ah, but Jeff, the all-important Q is, "which is more uncommon?" :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

Got mine in the mail today.   :D  :D  :D

Jeff, you've done a magnificent job.  I've only had a little time to read through the books, but -- and I knew this from our game at GaryCon -- it really does capture the Weird Tales feel of the Lovecraft/Smith/Howard stories.  And Ian's artwork is simply terrific, perfect for the tone.  And the quality is first rate.  I'm very happy to have been able to support you and this project.

Oh, and my dice are multicolored.  So I hope that ends up being rarer.   :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:04 am 

Ghul wrote:
dmkastmaria wrote:
Man! It looks fantastic! Can't wait to get mine!  :D

I hate waiting!  :evil:

Looks awesome! Really, really awesome!  :D

Now, I must wait....  :evil:

Thanks for posting the pics.  :D

Now, I must wait...  :evil:

I know! It stinks, the waiting, but this really is a small home-grown operation, a "love for the hobby" type of venture, so thank you for being patient as I continue to leak out small batches at a time. When your game is shipped, you will know, because I will email you personally. I hope you like the game and that it is worth the wait! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and interest -- it really inspires me to work hard and get things done.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Oh, lord! I hope you didn't make too much of my  :evil: emoticons. It was an exaggerated dig at my own impatient nature.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 am 

@Bracton -- I'm so happy you are enjoying the game! Thank you so much for your kind words. :)

@dmkastmaria -- No, no, no, I didn't take it like that. I just feel sorry that this process is going to continue to take weeks. It makes me feel bad that some folks will have their game a long time before others. :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am 

Hi Jeff,

when will you start to ship overseas? Just an estimate :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:11 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Hi Jeff,

when will you start to ship overseas? Just an estimate :)

I haven't been delaying international shipments; in fact, as I recall, packages have been sent to Chile, the UK, France, and even a pesky Canadian or two. The order fulfillment is all based on my spreadsheet organization. So, it's in progress, my friend -- a little bit at a time, which is the best I can do. This truly is a small, home-grown operation, so please accept my apologies if some packages are mailed weeks after others, and thank you kindly for your patience.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Last edited by Ghul on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 pm 

While I am looking forward to receiving the boxed set I was overjoyed to get the pdf today. Much reading to do and the rolling of dice.

Thanks Jeff!

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:15 pm 

Fellows,

The PDF of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea is now available at RPGNow.

For your $10, you get PDFs of the Players' Manual, Referee's Manual, the Hyperborea map, a character sheet, and the box cover art.

There will be a more official announcement when I list for general sales the physical boxed set.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:While I am looking forward to receiving the boxed set I was overjoyed to get the pdf today. Much reading to do and the rolling of dice.

Thanks Jeff!

Glad to hear it, Jason! Thanks for the note -- very kind of you, and much appreciated!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 pm 

Ghul wrote:I haven't been delaying international shipments; in fact, as I recall, packages have been sent to Chile, the UK, France, and even a pesky Canadian or two. The order fulfillment is all based on my spreadsheet organization. So, it's in progress, my friend -- a little bit at a time, which is the best I can do. This truly is a small, home-grown operation, so please accept my apologies if some packages are mailed weeks after others, and thank you kindly for your patience.

Thanks Jeff! And no problem for waiting, I am very patient. It was just for my information :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

PreviousNext