Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:43 am 

Nice! This ranks among my most favorite Bingham pieces, maybe even at the top.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:26 am 

I first chanced upon the work of Del Teigeler at Google+. Impressed by his style, detail, and eye for composition, I asked him to illustrate a series of dinosaurs for Joseph Salvador's AS&SH module, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess. Well, before you knew it, Del got involved with other releases at that time, including Ben Ball's Beneath the Comet, and my own Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes. Months later, I asked him to be a feature artist for The Mystery at Port Greely. Del kept getting better and better, so it was without hesitation that I asked him to join us in the development of AS&SH 2nd Edition. Since that time he's been quietly finishing piece after piece, his work more impressive each time. The following illustration features a new subclass of the fighter called the HUNTSMAN.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:54 pm 

Very cool! Keep the art teasers coming.  8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35 pm 

Yes, very nice illustration work.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:22 am 

Jason Sholtis is a newcomer to the AS&SH fold, perhaps best known for his work on "The Dungeon Dozen". His art has a weird Clark Ashton Smith vibe that immediately caught my eye -- grand and alien in scope. Jason and I first spoke at North Texas RPG Con 2015 about working together and then resumed talks at Gary Con VIII earlier this year. Since then, Jason has begun work on AS&SH 2nd Edition, illustrating some frightening critters! Behold!

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:12 am 

Jason's a great guy and has created some really cool art - glad that he's involved in AS&SH.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:52 am 

Preparing my budget to back this plus get some art...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:28 am 

mrmanowar wrote in Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea:Preparing my budget to back this plus get some art...

Guard well the secret of steel, Mr Manowar...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:54 pm 

Logan Talanian is another newcomer to the AS&SH fold. At age 14, he is by far our youngest contributor. He's been taking art lessons for seven years, honing his craft with pencils, inks watercolors, and more. This will be his first published work. Logan Talanian, my son!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:29 am 

Kudos to Logan!  I wouldn t be able to draw the grass of his wonderful artwork!!! All the best for him!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 am 

Charles Lang is the horror and weird fantasy painter who is responsible for the original cover of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. Charles has also painted the covers for "Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes" and "The Mystery at Port Greely".  

I first met Charles in the early 90s, and I've admired his work for decades! He was the first person I went to as development began on the 2nd Edition hardback of AS&SH, for which we needed a brand new cover. Charles Lang is contributing the front cover, back cover, and some interior pieces for AS&SH 2nd Edition.

Here is a paint study of the BACK COVER of the book. It features the same barbarian hero as seen on the original boxed set, and the front cover does, too. The front cover actually was in several weeks ago, but I'm waiting for the right moment to share it...

We are 14 days away from launching this Kickstarter! (October 21)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:28 pm 

Yesterday, I ran a fun session of my forthcoming adventure module, The Sea-Wolf's Daughter, at Sticks and Stones. The players really liked the 32 X 40-inch canvas map of HYPERBOREA that I brought, seen here in this picture. Soon to be made available as an add-on when the Kickstarter launches for the Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition hardback on October 21!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 pm 

Daisey Bingham is the feature colorist for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. Her creative vision has been applied to the art of Val Semeiks, Del Teigeler, and of course her husband, the talented Johnathan Bingham. Here we see Daisey bringing her unique vision to an amazing illustration submitted by none other than Val Semeiks. This piece will serve as the chapter divider (or "frontispiece") for AS&SH Vol. II: Sorcery. Here we see the picture in full colour, but actually printing it in colour (as well as the other five frontispieces) will be one of the early stretch goals of the forthcoming Kickstarter campaign, set to launch on October 21.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:29 am 

Johnathan Bingham was the first artist I contacted to add new illustrations to the interior of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition. After seeing how he excelled as the primary interior artist for the adventure modules, Beneath the Comet, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess, and Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes, it was an easy decision! In fact, this is partly why John did not contribute illustrations for The Mystery at Port Greely. He was already hard at work, up to his armpits in the development of a series of full page illustrations for our forthcoming Kickstarter campaign, set to launch on October 21.  

This is John's rendition of the witch, a subclass of the magician. Her eyes are what really grabbed me -- her whole face, really. John has great vision and imagination, and he brings something new, unique, and valuable to each picture he draws. And what a pleasure to work with. I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I do!  

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:32 am 

Russ Nicholson is a man whose art I have admired since I was a teenager in the 80s. I remember staring at his art in the Fiend Folio for hours on end. Such a strange and unique style. I took a shot, contacting Russ to see if he might be interested in producing some art for the second edition of AS&SH, and I was delighted to find him agreeable. So far Russ has turned in 17 illustrations. Here is one of my favorites. I hope you like it!

AS&SH 2E Kickstarter Launches on October 21!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 am 

Charles Lang is the cover artist for the second edition of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. As a follow-up to his painting that was featured on the original boxed set of AS&SH, this new painting takes our hero (and his cast of companions) into some bold action and adventure in the hoary wilderness of Hyperborea, illumed by the light of a bloated red sun.

Our Kickstarter campaign goes live this Friday, October 21!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:02 am 

Looks great! That cover makes me want to roll up some characters and go adventuring.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:21 am 

Del Teigeler did an amazing job illustrating the RUNEGRAVER for the forthcoming second edition of AS&SH. Want to play a character like Egill Skallagrímsson, straight out of The Sagas? The runegraver, a subclass of the cleric, is described as "a mystic warrior who carves rune spells on bone, metal, stone, and wood". The runegraver possesses many interesting abilities, such as the "ale rune", turning water to a healing ale; "casting lots" which allows the runegraver to make predictions; and "nithing pole" which allows the rungraver to create a special device that lays a curse. 

AS&SH 2E Kickstarter to Launch this Friday, October 21!

PreviousNext