Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:37 pm 

AS&SH has a new character class, the CRYOMANCER exclusively available in AFS #2.

. . . The cryomancer is a sorcerer who masters the control and manipulation of snow, ice, and arctic winds. Through arcane studies and binding pacts made with glacial spirits, the cryomancer develops a spell book similar to that of a magician. Cryomancers form secret societies whose aims are oft deemed incongruous with other practitioners of the arcane. They aspire to unlock the genius of a legendary cabal of puissant sorcerer-priests who, in immemorial times, dwelled in a floating citadel of ice from whence they attended their dread master, The Ashen Worm . . .

This new subclass is inspired by Benoist Poiré, with special thanks to Colin Chapman.

• Full class writeup
  • 16 new spells
  • 1 new monster
  • 1 new magic item

Here is the AFS #2 'zine blurb and TOC:

[ Image ]

AFS Magazine Issue #2 is released! and available for purchase. It is 46 pages long, contains a cardstock cover & will be sent by parcel mail. Each copy costs $6.00 for stamp/shipping, ink, paper,mailing envelope, PayPal fees, and a small investment in the binding machinery I purchased. It includes old school gaming modules, adventures, tables, and articles with a nod to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, Robert E Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith. This is old school grass roots publishing produced in the spider filled ruins of my basement, ring bound in the style of Chainmail(1971 Gygax/Perren).

This magazine is available in print only. If you are located anywhere within the USA then shipping is included in the cover price. International orders to all countries except Canada are $11.00 (includes shipping). Canada please PM me or respond here for price to where you are.
You can either roll up $6 cash , or check payable to Scott Moberly/AFS Zine and mail it to
Scott Moberly
23733 SE 277th Pl
Maple Valley WA 98038
-
or paypal is accepted, just go to http://www.paypal.com and my paypal is srmoberly at yahoo.com. Please ensure the address paypal has on file for you is accurate.
Thanks for your support I printed up the first copy and it turned out awesome.

[ Image ]

AFS Magazine  #2   - Table of Contents

New Monsters - 1. Ziege Men 2. Giant Yellow Toads 3. Resin Constructs by Scott Moberly

Article -- Advent of the Elder Ones: Mythos vs. Man in the Lake Geneva Original Campaign, 1973-1976 by Robert J Kuntz

Fiction -- The Other Murder of Etelven Thios by Darrell Schweitzer (1981)

Adventure -- Cliff Warrens of the Corvid Birdmen by Scott Moberly

New Monsters -- 1. The Zombastodon 2. Leiber Ghuls by Chris Kutalik

Table -- The Big Table of Semi-Mundane Items -- 100 items

Variant Class -- Cryomancer: A new magician subclass for use with AS&SH and other traditional fantasy role-playing games by Jeff Talanian

New Monster -- The Muyoss (aka Cosmos Creature):  Mythos Monster from the Lake Geneva Original Campaign by Robert J Kuntz

Table -- The Big Table of Minor Magic Items

Variant Class -  The Templar by Vargr1105

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am 

Three questions.
What Do the letters AFS stand for?
Is AFS issue #1 also still available?
Where did you originally find that quote?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Three questions.

Hello Gnat,

1. Not a clue! I would ask Scott directly. I was wondering te same thing . . .
2. Again, this is not something I would know. I just wrote an article for the 'zine. I would ask Scott.
3. Here are some links where you can get in touch with the good fellow:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 21&t=59180
http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=8163
And his blog: http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea -- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:03 am 

Thanks to Ghul/Jeff for his contribution to the magazine and for supporting this.

Hi Gnat, here is a link to my blog which should answer most of your questions including what Issue#1 contains and looks like. Both issues are available. Total if you live in the USA would be $11.00 for both zines (includes shipping). http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

Cheers, and happy holidays

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 am 

I started up a Google+ community for AS&SH. So far there is one member: Me! It's so lonely being all alone . . .  :'(

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:27 pm 

Scalydemon still has copies of number one available, I just ordered one and two, can't wait to check them out :). I'm glad to see this excellent game supported with material like this.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 pm 

Thunderdave! wrote:Scalydemon still has copies of number one available, I just ordered one and two, can't wait to check them out :). I'm glad to see this excellent game supported with material like this.

Just ordered both! Thanks "Thunderdave!"  :lol:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 pm 

bbarsh wrote: ...  Just ordered both! Thanks "Thunderdave!"  :lol:

...now I'm re-considering that screenname, should have thought that through a bit more :)

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:59 am 

Scott: Scalydemon

Thank you for posting your blog link.
Just requested copies of both issues...
Looking forward to reading your magazine.

Still do not know what AFS stands for.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:10 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Scott: Scalydemon

Originally I think it was Anti-Fascist Society, but now I think it is just AFS.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:21 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Gnat the Beggar wrote:Scott: Scalydemon

Originally I think it was Anti-Fascist Society, but now I think it is just AFS.

Yes, hi. Hope this doesn't clutter up Ghul's AS&SH forum, but here is a copy/paste of the answer to this that I posted on another forum when this question came up.

I had originally started this magazine in collaboration with another friend in Houston. We both had an interest in history, war history and political history as well as old school gaming. The original concept for the zine was for it to be old school gaming content and also feature a few articles on events in history. AFS stands for Anti-fascist gaming society. ie. we had an article on Tito & the partisans, the death and hanging of Mussolini, the Spanish civil war and the fascist falange etc. (Nothing to do with current politics). We ended up bagging the idea but the name stuck. The magazine has shifted to it's current focus on old school gaming and pulp literature which seems to fit better  

Thanks for your order and interest in the magazine :)

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:07 am 

There is a new review of AS&SH posted over at Black Gate: Adventures in Fantasy and Literature. Nicely done! :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 am 

Here is Ian Baggley's rendition of the new AS&SH class, the Cryomancer:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 am 

Scalydemon wrote:

Thanks to Ghul/Jeff for his contribution to the magazine and for supporting this.

Hi Gnat, here is a link to my blog which should answer most of your questions including what Issue#1 contains and looks like. Both issues are available. Total if you live in the USA would be $11.00 for both zines (includes shipping). http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

Cheers, and happy holidays

Issues #1 and #2 arrived.
Still reading, but I like what I have read so far.
THANKS!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 am 

Fellows,

I'm pleased to announce that our latest free resource is now available at the AS&SH web site!

Drunken Debauchery! is a fun resource created by Colin Chapman. This 2-page document features a random generator designed just for those special times when the adventurers are between adventures, and they have returned to civilization to carouse and spend their hard-won gold. Some results are humiliating, others glorious, and others still might serve as excellent springboards for further adventures.

This table is a lot of fun, and I look forward to utilizing it in my own campaign. The author went through great lengths to cobble it together, and something tells me that some of the results may be based off errrr . . . personal research. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:27 pm 

I had the camera out so thought I'd share a pic of these beauts... sets & 'zines still available on Jeff's site and from Scalydemon, pick 'em up if you can :)

Attachment:
DSCN1664.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:49 am 

Great pics, ThunderDave! Much appreciated. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 pm 

AS&SH Players' Manual

A Compilation of Volumes I, II, and III of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea

The AS&SH Players' Manual is ideal for groups who have the AS&SH boxed set, but wish to have one or more extra copies of the Players' Manual at the gaming table.

Please note that you do not need this product if you already own the AS&SH boxed set, because it is included. Also note that you cannot effectively play a HYPERBOREA campaign with just the Players' Manual. At least one player (ideally the referee) must have a copy of the AS&SH boxed set.

Text: Jeffrey Talanian
Illustrations: Ian Baggley
Editing: David Prata
Foreword by Stuart Marshall

Contents Include:

• Introduction (brief introduction to game)

• Dice Conventions (how to use dice)

• Character Creation (steps to creating a character)

• Attributes (strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, charisma)

• Races (Common, Amazon, Atlantean, Esquimaux, Hyperborean, Ixian, Kelt, Kimmerian, Kimmeri-Kelt, Pict, Pict Half-Blood, Viking)

• Physique (height, weight, age determination, etc.)

• Classes (fighter, magician, cleric, thief)

• Subclasses (Fighter) (barbarian, berserker, cataphract, paladin, ranger, warlock)

• Subclasses (Magician) (illusionist, necromancer, pyromancer, witch)

• Subclasses (Cleric) (druid, monk, priest, shaman)

• Subclasses (Thief) (assassin, bard, legerdemainist, scout)

• Alignment (Law / Civilization vs. Chaos / Barbarism; Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil, Neutrality)

• Other Statistics (armour class, fighting ability, hit dice, hit points, movement, saving throw)

• Background (secondary skills, languages)

• Weapon Skills (favoured weapons, adding new weapon skills, weapon mastery, melee attack rate / missile rate of fire)

• Money (gold, electrum, silver, copper; exchange rates; starting gold)

• Equipment (armour, shields, melee weapons, missile weapons, general equipment, provisions, religious items, clothing, livestock, tack and harness, vehicles, services)

• Spells (starting spells, acquiring spells, spell memorization, spell casting)

• Spell Tables (seven disciplines of magic: magician, cleric, druid, illusionist, necromancer, pyromancer, witch)

• Spells A--Z (over 400 spells)

• Adventure (adventuring party, hirelings, henchmen, loyalty and morale, base of operations, adventure preparation, adventure actions and procedures, non-standard action resolution, etc.)

• Time (10-second round, 10-minute turn)

• Movement (dungeon movement, wilderness movement, transportation methods, getting lost, encumbrance, etc.)

• The Encounter (encountering beasts, monsters, and men; reaction and evasion rules)

• Combat (melee, missiles, magic, movement; attack roll, combat matrix, attack modifiers, combat steps, action resolution, morale)

• Combat Actions (charge, flaming oil, holy oil / water, magic, melee, missiles, mounted combat, movement, turn undead, unarmed combat)

• Advanced Combat (Optional) (22 advanced combat actions, critical hits)

• Saving Throw (saving throws, spell resistance, item saving throws)

• Damage (wounds, death and dying, healing, falling damage)

• Special Damage (energy drain, lycanthropy, madness, poison)

• Experience Points (gaining XP, gaining levels of experience)

• Aerial Combat (rules for aerial melee, missile, spell casting, etc., covering a variety of flight methods)

• Waterborne Expeditions (vessels, weather, wind, icebergs, whirlpools, getting lost at sea, and sea encounters; naval combat is discussed, including rules for catapults, ballistas, grappling, oar shearing, and ship repair; underwater combat)

• Castles and Strongholds (castle and stronghold construction, costs, personnel, resources, and of course: the angry villager!)

• Warfare and Siege (rules for handling mass combat using a calculator system that accounts for a variety of circumstances from troop types, to locations, to PC / NPC involvement, siege weaponry, troop movements, provisions, etc.)

• Cooperative Gaming (closing advice for all participants of the game)

Product Type: Game manual
       Product Format: 252-page, 7 x 8.5-inch, spiral-bound manual
       Product Code: NWA101A
       Product Price: $20.00
       Product Availability: Available Now! Order at our online store.

PreviousNext