White Wolf stuff
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:24 pm 

I've been picking up White Wolf stuff lately, mostly because I think they do the best settings in all of RPG land.  1e/2e Werewolf, Vampire, and Wraith I just think are fantastically well done fictional settings -- original but still approachable.

Anyway, most stuff is pretty easy to get for cheap, so this isn't really "collecting" as much as "acquiring", but I've noticed that Changeling stuff goes for exorbitant prices (relatively speaking) and that Wraith has held its value REAL well.  A typical hardcover sourcebook in a WW series will fetch 50% or less its cover price, but Wraith: The Oblivion approaches its cover price, and some of its supplements do as well.  It's a dead line (hahahah...), which I'm sure adds some value, but it's not like 1E Vampire goes for much.

Clanbooks, for example, are basically free -- $3-5.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:56 pm 

You should see the Collapsing Bookcases of Doom here in Colorado ...

One local store (Black & Read) stocks close to 1,000 used White Wolf books.  Vampire and Werewolf are always everywhere.  Notably, Wraith moves quickly, and Changeling never hits the shelf - it goes straight back to the rare display behind the counter.  It's the Sandman/Gaimanites - Neil Gaiman's writing style was a major influence on Changeling.  People that have nothing to do with gaming read it for pleasure.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:12 am 

darkseraphim wrote:You should see the Collapsing Bookcases of Doom here in Colorado ...

Heh, I wish.  I keep wanting to open my own comic/RPG/CCG/wargaming shop, I have a perfect location out here, I just don't know enough about it...*sigh*

Vampire and Werewolf are always everywhere.  Notably, Wraith moves quickly, and Changeling never hits the shelf - it goes straight back to the rare display behind the counter.

I think Changeling has a pretty large cross-over with people interested in faeries as well.  But the big thing is that Changeling and Wraith simply weren't as popular, so the material is harder to find.  It's hard NOT to stumble across old Vampire stuff, it was just too popular.  Werewolf almost as much.

The settings they have are brilliant, although I'm not familiar with either Demon or Changeling directly.  I think Wraith was just fantastic, and I'm disgruntled its holding its value so well, since I can't find good bargains on eBay for it.  There's only two copies of "End of Empires" on eBay.  TWO!

I'm not even sure if I'll bother collecting Changeling, the prices just seem ludicrous.  If I can stumble across an amazing deal I might go for it, or if I can find it on clearance somewhere (very doubtful).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 am 

Changeling originally seems to have had lower print runs, specifically on some of the Kith books, like the ULTRARARE Pooka book.

I've sold off most of my non-Wraith stuff, which is easy to find because Vampire and WW were big sellers.

I actually have several of the orignal guildbooks for Wraith, the ones with the cool covers, and some other stuff like the Companion.

My favorite Wraith supplement, and a solid supplement all around, is Wraith: The Great War. As a gamer andWWI buff, it really makes my day.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:42 pm 

Changeling tends to go for exorbitant prices because of it's rarity.
However, that only applies to a limited number of books such as:
Land of 8 Million Dreams
Dreams and Nightmares
The Shadow Court
Inanimae
Fool's Luck
(And from time to time.. one of the "Book of Houses")
(Note: I'm likely overlooking another book in here)

The print runs are small, the fan base fanatical.
Thus, supply meet demand, demand meet supply..

CA

YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:46 pm 

Wraith is a bit unique in some ways.

1) White Wolf did some funky things with some of the books using 'glow in the dark' inks (or card-like paper stock) for the cover printings.

So, the 1st Edition is prized _as_ is Dark Reflections: Spectres.
(The original had a textured cover, which differs from the reissue)

Other 'prizes' to look for:
"The Quick and the Dead" (Year of the Hunter is still relatively collectible)
"Mediums" (Year of the Helper)

"Ends of Empire" - outside of a cool cover.. darn thing is nary impossible to find anymore..

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:37 pm 

It's sad but true. Up until the beginning of 2000, I had nearly every White Wolf book published for Vampire, Wraith, Mage, World of Darkness and most of Changeling. Then, I ran into some dire straights without a job and had to piecemeal it out to the local used bookstore. I think I had sold about 75% of my collection before I finally got a job and was able to reacquire some of my collection.

Funny thing is... I now work for that very same used bookstore that I sold my books to. I still don't have nearly the same books, but I figure I've got about 70% of what I had plus about another 70% of what's come out new since then until they stopped printing them.

Now I'm trying to fill in the holes of my collection. I just started learning the goodness that can be had in Werewolf, so I've been working hard to complete that first.

That's it from me for now.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM