Looking for 1980s dungeon stand alone game.
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Collector

Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 01, 2011
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2011

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:06 pm 
 

I am looking for the name of a dungeon, stand-alone card game that I played in 1983-1985.  It only consisted of 1 deck and did not have a board or other role playing devices.  I remember the cards had pictures with words below the images.  I believe the game had the word dungeon in the title but am not sure.  The game may be Dungeon Encounters by Quixotics but I can not find any information on the game. (The game is NOT Dungeon, Dungeoneer, Talisman Dungeon, King's Court, The Sorcerer's Cave, Dungeonquest, Dungeon Quest, Dungeonrunner, Dragonslayer, or Shadowlord).  

It appears that Dungeon Encounters is a RPG and NOT a card game?

Does anyone have more information on the cards for Encounters by Mayfair Games?  Are there dungeons in this card game?


Last edited by Cleric on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6211
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm 
 

Dungeon Encounters by Quixotics comes in the form of a book.
There was a website called Tome of Treasures that used to list things like this, and it was deffinately pictured and listed there, but they seem to have deleted all their listings and removed access to them from their menu.

http://tomeoftreasures.com/index.html

But some of the pees here have been major contributors over on that site and they may be able to come up with a link to the stuff they don't want the public to see anymore. The listings may still be on the server. They may just have removed the front end.

That said, the site seems to have been down for a long time now.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2491
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 03, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:48 pm 
 

Actually, everything is on the forums

Dungeon Encounters
http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=874


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6211
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 pm 
 

Which selection of choices do you make to get to the list of all the non-TSR stuff? I could only find a page with about two dozen active links, and even that was just histories of the likes of Balboa Games etc.

Where is the link to the A-Z or Index page?

All said, doesn't look like Dungeon Encounters is a card game. Reads like a generic adventure, but then I think the copy Kynan has/had is the only copy I've seen pass through eBay.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:All said, doesn't look like Dungeon Encounters is a card game. Reads like a generic adventure, but then I think the copy Kynan has/had is the only copy I've seen pass through eBay.


There have been about 4 maybe 5 pass through Ebay - I don't remember it being a cardgame.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4746
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:39 pm 
 

Cleric wrote:(The game is NOT Dungeon, Dungeoneer, Talisman Dungeon, King's Court, The Sorcerer's Cave, Dungeonquest, Dungeon Quest, Dungeonrunner, Dragonslayer, or Shadowlord).


You didnt list Dragonmaster:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2/dragonmaster

There is no "dungeon" in it, but I'm not really sure what you mean by that anyway.  It is the only stand alone fantasy card game with no board and/or role-playing elements from the 80's that comes to mind.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:You didnt list Dragonmaster:


Thanks for listing that.  I knew I had one of these card games (this one) but couldn't remember the title and am not sure where I put it right now - but its been bugging me all afternoon.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2491
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 03, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:26 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Which selection of choices do you make to get to the list of all the non-TSR stuff?


I guess you have to be logged to see the complete list.


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:35 pm 
 

You shouldn't have to be logged in but there are a lot of sections in that forum.  Here's a link to where the nonTSR stuff is:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/index.php?c=16

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 393
Joined: Jan 30, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 27, 2021
Location: Chicagoish

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 pm 
 

Cleric wrote:I am looking for the name of a dungeon, stand-alone card game that I played in 1983-1985.  It only consisted of 1 deck and did not have a board or other role playing devices.  I remember the cards had pictures with words below the images.  I believe the game had the word dungeon in the title but am not sure.  The game may be Dungeon Encounters by Quixotics but I can not find any information on the game. (The game is NOT Dungeon, Dungeoneer, Talisman Dungeon, King's Court, The Sorcerer's Cave, Dungeonquest, Dungeon Quest, Dungeonrunner, Dragonslayer, or Shadowlord).  

It appears that Dungeon Encounters is a RPG and NOT a card game?

Does anyone have more information on the cards for Encounters by Mayfair Games?  Are there dungeons in this card game?


If you're looking for board/card info, bgg is the source.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1127/encounters
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardga ... encounters

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1