Non tsr collectors out there?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:24 pm 

Just wanted to know how many non tsr collectors are out there.   In your opinion whats the hardest thing about collecting non tsr items? For myself it would be the availability of some of the non tsr items.   For example, I don't see Matt Whalley's Wizard Aide for sale on ebay, newsgroup, etc. I can find St1s, Daystars, lost tamoa, jade hares, etc but I have a hard time finding non tsr items. It could be due to their unpopularity perhaps or even obscurity.  If there are any non tsr collectors,  let me know and lets each other out ;-)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:18 am 

I guess I fancy myself as one, although I do collect TSR items mostly.  I think the underlying reason why you don't see many of these items is as you mentioned, they were not popular in most cases, and quite honestly not well written or pictorally presented a lot of the time.  In addition, just like in the early days of TSR, there usually isn't a lot of cash floating around to produce mega quantities.  I myself grabbed up a few things in the early day primarily out of curiosity at various hobby shops that would bother to carry them (another issue - distribution!!!.  Most of these obscure products were localized to one particular area).  In my case some of these items were either disposed of to make room for more "important" items or, if they were decent, stuffed away into some dark recess and forgotten about.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:41 am 

Hi Doug, feel free to introduce yourself to the Introduce yourself page. I myself have taken a fancy to collecting non tsr. I've gone out of D&D to collect non tsr. I like how weird and unusual some of the non tsr items are. Though they don't fetch high prices such as lost tamoachan, I find that many non tsr items are as rare or even rarer but at a much affordable price :-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:09 pm 

Early White Dwarf!  Starstone!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:30 pm 

[quote="nn"]Early White Dwarf!  Starstone![/quote]  I'm the proud owner of a beautiful copy of Starstone, the British 'fantasy RPG' mini - campaign published by The Northern Sages and written by Paul Vernon. The amazing thing is I paid it just £ 2.50!  Anyway, what I'm most interested in is not collecting TSR items but magazines. I'm an avid collector of Dragon, Different Worlds, Nexus, White Dwarf, Imagine and so on. About TSR, I'm collecting their catalogs (I recently acquired a copy of the TSR Press and Retailer kit for the - if I recall correctly - 1983 Toy Fair) and everything useful to better tracking TSR activities, especially newsletters and bullettins for the trade.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:00 pm 

I don't see how what NN briefly posted early white dwarf and starstone is relevant to a topic about non tsr collectors......  Feel free to introduce yourself nn and tell us about yourself.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:23 pm 

I collect old D&D, for nostalgia. Quality of contents rather than rarity & physical condition.  Anyway:  White Dwarf was the lifeblood of D&D in the UK. Up to about issue 80 it was far far superior to Dragon and Imagine.   Starstone by Northern Sages is the best non-tsr adventure ive found.  Its not that rare though, in the UK - around 3000 were printed. And no, Im very sorry, but the sequel, "Ristenby Town" was never written. (anyone homebrewed it?)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:03 pm 

Starstone by Northern Sages is the best non-tsr adventure ive found.
 The best non tsr adventure? I'm going to have to pick up a copy then and see how it is.  Do you have CH2 Seren Ironhand? I hear that its very well written and James Sinks wrote on Afterglos Non Tsr page that its the best adventure. Perhaps pick up a copy for yourself and let me know how it compares to Starstone.  3000 is a fairly small print run and as you can guess its pretty hard to find in the US. I'd bet there are much less than 3000 copies now due to age, wear and tear, people throwing away collections, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:43 pm 

Never seen Seren Ironhand.   You can judge Starstone by the "Embertrees" scenario in White Dwarf 34 by the same author, which might be a bit easier to get hold of.  I also rate "Irillian" (White Dwarf 42-47 (approx) / best of Scenarios 3) equally highly.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:40 pm 

Seren Ironhand was made by Challenges International. Search for a copy, it shouldn't be too hard to find or perhaps maybe someone can lend you a copy or their could be a pdf file. Either way when you get it, let me know how it compares to Starstone.  I'm going to get starstone just to see what the fuss about it is :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:39 pm 

I actually like collecting the early FASA Traveller stuff - great quality adventures but really crappy proofreading - The Sky Raiders series was classic.  Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:01 pm 

White Dwarf was an awesome magazine. It introduced me to a few other UK magazines: Adventurer, GameMaster Publications, Imagine, and Tortured Souls!  I ended up collecting WD 1-99 and the specials.  Issue 100 and beyond, WD became a "house" magazine for Games Workshop :(  I miss the Thrud the Barbarian cartoon.  Not sure what issues Thrud was published after 100?? :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:52 pm 

White Dwarf used to be a great magazine but now its all about GW warhammer game. Nothing against the game but its so dang expensive. What a ripoff. I could have more enjoyment for $10 by buying a players handbook than having to spend $10 on one small figure.   Sucks to see a lot of great magazines vanish or some that still exist not be of the best quality these days. The old dragons were great. Now to me they aren't that great. Also look at the selection of rpgs magazines. I only know of two: Dragon and Dungeon. There used to be many more rpg magazines.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:43 am 

Although inactive at the time, I still would call myself a non-TSR collector. It is both interesting to see that one can a) locate very rare items for a good price (ever got a 1000-print-run-TSR-thingie for 10 dollars?) and b) wait an eternity or two until a specific item is auctioned.   I agree that White Dwarf before #100 was the best magazine around. Curiously, these are (were?) not that expensive in the UK, I got almost  all of my WDs, Imagines and so on from various sources in England,  and the only Imagine issue I spent more than $5 on was #1... maybe searching Ebay UK can be of help.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:49 pm 

Hangover, you wouldn't happen to be Matthias Bock would you?????  8)  :lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:09 pm 

well his web page address is and hangover is also his nic :wink:  Good to see you back Matthias :lol:   Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:54 pm 

Were was he during the last year or so? Hiding or ??? 8O

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:32 am 

No, not hiding.   I just never really felt comfortable with Ebay and when   a) the newsgroup auctions vanished  b) the exchange rate to the Dollar worsened every week (at peak prices last year I would have had to pay 60% more in German currency than in 1995/96) and c) prices for almost everything went through the ceiling,   I took a little time off this hobby. However, I have not lost interest, and will stay among you.   I even promise you to do some updates to the page over the coming weeks. There is a little bit of interesting stuff in my e-mail...

Next