Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 108123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 106107108
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:01 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So what were the gems in there? I was after Black Tower and Chainmail. I don't know about most of the other stuff. I just took a gamble.

*LOL*. You crazy person! :D

So you don't want those other Midkemia publications, then?

As to others, well the "Authentic Thaumaturgy" is a good start.
(Albeit the last one on eBay looked though it was gonna go for a reasonable price, I stopped looking when they never bothered responding to my emails).

Kinda regretting reducing my max bid- couldn't afford much more, given the other auctions, ongoing. *shrugs*.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:06 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Kinda regretting reducing my max bid- couldn't afford much more, given the other auctions, ongoing. *shrugs*.

I sniped in at $455.66. I was pleasantly surprised it was low. Still I'm still smarting from my PoVQ and the one you just picked up has a cover. :evil: . Will be happy to offer goods up for swap. I wouldn't mind the Wyrm's Footnotes in their other lot, but I don't want most of the rest of it. My WF2 just sold for £33. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:No I don't think its to low, not at all. I just see you guys go head to head with your snipes a lot and it just makes me laugh. Those silly other bidders think they have a chance at getting a great deal and then BAM 8O oh look they are in 3rd place. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heh. I'm pretty sure there are at least one or two other "invisible" snipe bids which didn't make it into the system.

Brette and Christophe prolly don't mind too much anyhow... ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:42 pm 

Ralf is, as usual, dead on. Those were the gems. That is only the third copy of that printing of Thaumaturgy I've ever seen, I have one and Burnie has one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:43 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Ralf is, as usual, dead on. Those were the gems. That is only the third copy of that printing of Thaumaturgy I've ever seen, I have one and Burnie has one.

There have been (at least) three in eBay auctions within the last year. Only one of those was listed here, IIRC.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:57 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:My WF2 just sold for £33. :D

Your so-called "fanzine"? Congrats.
Heh, heh... that was generous, but helped (eventually) by that other copy "taking off" ;)

As is mentioned elsewhere, the WF prices fell somewhat after the release of the "Wyrm's Footprints" paperback.
They're still pretty solid, though; possibly even making a bit of "come back".

Just don't believe that "25 copies" quote, for WF #1! :?
Chaosium (also) gave them away as freebies to anyone who returned the market research card in the first print of WB&RM (as noted in O&W #21).
...And even if the high-end figure of "200 copies" is closer the mark, that makes a rather interesting comment on the scarcity of early WB&RMs.
(Not that I'm complaining about that, either).

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:24 pm 

harami2000,

The PoVQ you won could be a first or second print, despite the fact that it says first print, based on The Acaeum's info. Once you receive could you provide more info? Just trying to figure out how to classify it.

Also please let me know your assessment on the condition.  It appears to be VG to Fine condition based on the sellers description and the photos.

Thanks

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:45 pm 

1st print Traveller Box Set here with a $100.00 BIN:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:56 pm 

dbartman wrote:harami2000,
The PoVQ you won could be a first or second print, despite the fact that it says first print, based on The Acaeum's info. Once you receive could you provide more info? Just trying to figure out how to classify it.
Thanks

No probs.

I'm sticking with the official TSR and TSR distributor line for now, though!
If they say it should have a black folder, then I'm expecting a black folder rather than a ziploc.

The double-sided copies are interesting, especially since these appear for both the stated "1st" and "2nd" prints per your current list, Mike <invincible>'s "2nd" being the latest such; Palace of the Vampire Queen).
If all the double-siders went with either the ziploc or black folder, I'd be more inclined to push for one of those versions possibly preceeding the other...
(The other theory about the folders not being ready in time- as with them running out- is, of course, difficult to tally with the distribution of double-sided copies).

=

Questions;
Does anyone know where their ziploc copies were originally bought, if not first-hand?
Or whether all the ziploc bags are the same?

Heh. And I still get a chuckle when I read "(otherwise, who wouldn't just toss the folder and claim their copy was a First?)"

=

aside: With regards date, would the TSR reference be closer to late-1976 than mid-1976, even though the title page states "June 1976"?
Anyhow, I suspect the third print was pushing into 1977, otherwise would have been reviewed here, rather than the "black folder" version.
(ref. also the first Dwarven Glory).

That "cheap" 3rd PotVQ still needs listing along with the other realisations, too.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:37 pm 

Re: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955924934

dbartman wrote:Also please let me know your assessment on the condition. It appears to be VG to Fine condition based on the sellers description and the photos.
Thanks

Thanks. I won't take that as an insult!

<...>

(*uses hairdrier to remove copyright sheet and sells cover to Ian for $200*). Sorry, actually, it's a NM 1st print without its ziploc! :D :D

Get the hint? :twisted:

The current grading system has many fundamental flaws in its derivation, words/expressions used, variable nature of the items being described, etc.... and that's even without "quirks" such as the PotVQ!
(Combine all that with the "trashing" of valuations for lower grades and you're gonna get some extremely narked off individuals around here).

VG-F??
Even judging by the pics and description, alone, I'd've said no worse than VF (faults as noted on the folder and not damaging the copyright sheet, with loose pages EX or better); and I'm usually fairly tough on grades.
Anyone else here care to say they were bidding on the basis of a grade as low as "bog-standard-average"? (= $330 on the The Acaeum list).

And please DO regrade Mike's copy from NM right down to G-F, whilst you're at it, if you're thinking anything like VG-F! ;)
'Coz even if he throws away the folder there's still a "damaged" sheet of paper to explain away, a detached copyright page, age-toning and other small faults...
Tadashi's copy; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923791619
"Level five referee's map is tri-folded and seems to be a copy. Minor creasing at top of folder. Slight age discoloration. Otherwise near mint."

=

p.s. If you're gonna try "tricks" like that, would the valuation board please provide estimated gradings of all rares which come up on eBay BEFORE the sale ends. OK?
And "block wipe" (*chuckles*) every single grading listed on the existing auction histories!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:09 am 

harami2000,

Please don't take offense at my comment.  I'm merely providing my initial assessment of the condition based upon what is visible and described in the auction, not on the opinion of the seller, which can be inflated to boost the selling price.  I would rather start conservative and base the final grade upon a detailed description, which you can provide once you have received it.  If you receive the item and it is actually in better condition than it appears, then it would be reflected in the grade assigned.  Bear in mind I am not recording this information to affect your resale value, if you would choose to sell it, I'm merely documenting it for historical purposes and valuation trends.  In reality if all Fine copies were to go for the amount you paid then the valuations would increase based upon the work being performed by valuation board members.  Besides, the valuations set on the Acaeum are guideline/estimates.  Many other factors, such as desire to have an item, come into play when an item is bid upon, as I'm sure you are aware of.

The sellers description:

"This item is in great shape, I would say near mint, the only problem is it apparently was stored in a box with shorter items and the folder is bent slightly at the upper edge and slightly at the spine in the middle. The interior pages, maps etc. are pristine and the folder design is in great shape."

Without looking at the contents it is really hard to judge what condition they are in but based upon the seller description and looking at the photos of the folder it is not in NM condition.  There are at the very least several large creases/folds visible on the folder.  Could it be in VF condition?  Perhaps, but probably not based on the visible damage to the folder.

Here's the descriptions of Fine & VG:

FINE: Many "high grade" items are actually in FINE condition (or degrees of Fine such as Fine/Very Fine or Very Good/Fine. At first glance, a FINE item may appear to be a higher grade, but on closer inspection flaws can be clearly seen.

There may be several smalls creases or even one slightly larger (1" or 2cm) crease. The top/bottom of the spine may show some heavier abrasion, perhaps even a small 1/8" (3mm) tear. Other possible flaws include: several heavier spine stress lines (either vertical or horizontal), a "scuff" to the surface that removes some of the color, rust to the staples (though at least 75% should be rust free), a tiny tear or very small piece missing from a corner (no more than 1/16" or 1 ½ mm) or a few small stains.

Often, Fine items simply have an greater accumulation of lesser flaws.

Though insert/maps may be detached and have some minor writing, they should still be intact (i.e. Character sheets should not be "cut out". )

VERY GOOD: This is the typical "average wear" grade. Spines show stress and may be slightly "frayed" or have minor tears. Module covers can have "splits" as long as 2" (5cm). Corners are often rounded, creased or frayed and edges may show similar wear. Other common flaws are "color fading", small stains, small tears, and writing on interior pages (perhaps even some highlighting). A slight warping and/or faint "musty odor" (usually from storage in a basement) may also be allowed.

Tape may have been used to "repair" the item, but it should be (at most) one or two small pieces.

A Very Good item can simply be an accumulation of several minor and moderate flaws or it may have very few minor flaws and one major detractor (such as a fold that goes the entire length of the cover, heavy rust on the staples, a page separated that was not designed to be "detachable", a large spine split or a writing on the outer cover.

FYI, Tadashi's copy was graded as fine.  Unlike what was mentioned in the description.

With respect to your PS.  I don't perform "tricks", nor would any other valuation board member.  We are responsible for recording the information in an unbiased and as accurate manner as possible for use in improving the information provided on The Acaeum.  We all take that job seriously, and, I would venture to say, have extensive experience in determining the condition of items.

Ultimately, what an individual chooses to pay for an item, based on the facts they have available, is entirely up to them.  The condition is just one factor in the equation.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:24 am 

dbartman wrote:FYI, Tadashi's copy was graded as fine. Unlike what was mentioned in the description.

No it was not. Get your facts right, please.

I just posted both the links (auction & Acaeum).

But just to remind you...

Page Not Found
Palace of the Vampire Queen (2nd): .... NM: $610 (10/04)

Tadashi's copy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923791619
invincibleoverlord ( 30)         US $610.00         Oct-03-04 21:20:09 PDT

I sure as heck didn't see another one go through!

dbartman wrote:Ultimately, what an individual chooses to pay for an item, based on the facts they have available, is entirely up to them. The condition is just one factor in the equation.

Don't believe you.

You list that copy I won at VG-F and, should I choose to sell, there's gonna be a large number of people who won't bid as far beyond YOUR "estimated value" as might have done previously, before the valuation board started messing around.

This was not as large an issue before with relatively flat pricing structures and only one grade "in the middle".
It is getting very much more serious now.

===

p.s. You just graded the entire item on the folder, ignoring the fact that the internal pages are "loose leaf".
Which is rather like grading an OD&D box from the outside without looking at, or caring about, the books, IMHO.
Or turning a blind eye to missing reference and/or errata sheets, even!

(Your grading descriptions are also NOT those listed on Page Not Found .
In fact, the above post is the first time I've ever seen those!
And if you adopt the "one strike and your out" approach, a huge number of other NM items are going to drop straight down to F.... and not just on staple rust).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:53 am 

Hey, don't feel bad, my Rahasia win was never posted, nor was my Inverness sale. Or my 2nd print brown box. Or my 1st print Chainmail............... etc. etc.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:06 am 

harami2000,

First, I'm afraid you have blown this out of proportion. I haven't formulated a final opinion on the grade of this item since I don't have all of the facts. That is why I asked for your input. Secondly, my opinion alone isn't necessarily the final opinion. Third, you are free to sell the item at whatever grade you deem it to be. The buyer will ultimately judge if you were truthful, just like anyone else that sells an item on eBay or anywhere else. The Acaeum is not a grading service, it is a resource.

With respect to your response to the following comment:

FYI, Tadashi's copy was graded as fine. Unlike what was mentioned in the description.

The records that I am currently maintaining are not reflected in what is on The Acaeum. That information, to my knowledge, is a direct input from the description of the condition provided in the listing. Also, the grading conventions that I'm using are not published on The Acaeum. They were developed by the Valuation Board members. Please see the following information for more details on what is transpiring:

The Acaeum Valuation Board

I hope this provides some enlightenment.

On your response to the following point:

Ultimately, what an individual chooses to pay for an item, based on the facts they have available, is entirely up to them. The condition is just one factor in the equation.

Why do you dispute this? You bought the PoVQ based on the facts that were available to you. There was no guarantee that the item was NM as indicated. In your case, perhaps condition was the ultimate factor, but not necessarily to everyone else.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:33 am 

dbartman wrote:First, I'm afraid you have blown this out of proportion.

A $200 difference, mental or real, is worth discussing/debating.
Please don't tell me I'm blowing anything out of proportion in that context.
And at the least you're giving me a very bad taste to go with this win...

A lot of this also impacts on future confidence in collecting, which I'm rather shaky on in the context of this radical overhaul.

Hey, but presume silence to mean everyone else is happy, no?

dbartman wrote:
FYI, Tadashi's copy was graded as fine. Unlike what was mentioned in the description.

The records that I am currently maintaining are not reflected in what is on The Acaeum.

:?:

You never said that was your personal opinion.

"FYI, Tadashi's copy was graded as fine" looks very "official" to me.

dbartman wrote:Also, the grading conventions that I'm using are not published on The Acaeum. They were developed by the Valuation Board members. Please see the following information for more details on what is transpiring:

The Acaeum Valuation Board

I hope this provides some enlightenment.

Please don't appear to treat me as stupid or use that "form letter"/talking-down tone of voice.
Do you really think I could possibly have missed that thread?

Keeping the full grading criteria hidden from the list is NOT acceptable, IMHO.
The one's we've currently got to use are wishy-washy at best; almost overlapping in some cases and depending on glasses/x-ray vision for others.
Page Not Found

dbartman wrote:Why do you dispute this? You bought the PoVQ based on the facts that were available to you. There was no guarantee that the item was NM as indicated. In your case, perhaps condition was the ultimate factor, but not necessarily to everyone else.

The extreme price/grade variations on the new-look Acaeum valuation listings are clearly wrong in that case, since all it takes are a few people to go for the rares which might turn up in poorer condition to blow the mechanically computed values straight out of the water.
As will happen, of course.

But the extra sensitivity which has just been introduced for the higher grades has just made things even more awkward than they already were given that people DO base their bids on the information available here.

(And no, neither did I think it was "NM as indicated". :roll:).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:02 am 

So does anyone know what grading Burnies copy was given?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:10 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So does anyone know what grading Burnies copy was given?

Presumably the same grade as the one I won, once I'm finished with the hairdrier. (Thanks again to Mike <invincible> for the tip).

:?

===

WDs #12 upwards. OKish copies in a short US auction, so might well be worthwhile for interested parties given current UK prices!
eBay listings
$2.99 each, with 2 3/4 days to go.

(No legal pdfs yet available ;))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:50 am 

harami2000 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:So does anyone know what grading Burnies copy was given?

Presumably the same grade as the one I won, once I'm finished with the hairdrier. (Thanks again to Mike <invincible> for the tip).

You really get pissed at that sort of thing, don't you? :( Presumably mine is the Mint copy sold in February 03. That ties up with the price and sale date on Burnies index card in the module. :D If mine is mint (and other than the slightest brushing to one corner it appears to be), the one you've bought doesn't look that far off. I'd swap mint for VF/EX to get a folder like that. :D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 108123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 106107108