How much duplication is too much?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:51 pm 

I will now tell a long meandering story to get to my point, which is in the form of slightly rhetorical question:

I have a sick love of overly complex, Adventure-Path style adventures that are nearly impossible to DM or to play (you know, back when I actually use to play instead of just collect and read).  On occasion, I'll take a flyer on something new to determine if it's got the Right Stuff.  

A while back, I had noticed the 'Burning Sky' path by EN and Ryan Nock:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... 24978&it=1
But, I refuse PDF without a print copy (Luddite supreme!)

To that end, when they started doing a new one:
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=6280
I picked it up, and give it the initial rating of 'solid' (beyond 'good', not 'great' or 'holy *&@!' yet).

But I forgot the wonders of technology.
http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?f ... urning+Sky
Not only is the general print books listed, but they've also produced a single massive 700-page color hardbound:
http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/w ... 29/4550125

Ooooo.

So my question is: how much hack, exactly, will Mrs SR44 put me into if I think I need not only the individual issues but the hardbound as well?

Sunrunner44 - not entirely sure.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 pm 

sunrunner44 wrote:Not only is the general print books listed, but they've also produced a single massive 700-page color hardbound:
http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/w ... 29/4550125

$160 for a 700 page hardbound???  Ptolus, Arduin's World Book of Khaas, Frog God's Tome of Horrors Complete and Slumbering Tsar Saga all around 700 to 800 pages (or more) and only one of them cost over $100 retail (Ptolus $119 and well worth it considering all the extras that were offered on the CD-ROM).

That price is beyond retarded.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:49 pm 

On a book like this, how much does Lulu take and how much does the author get?

I'm guessing that by printing these 1 off at a time, it is a fair bit more expensive than printing the 1000+ like the other books mentioned.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:11 pm 

The B&W hardbound book of this series is by the best value for money..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:39 pm 

$160 for a 700 page hardbound??? Ptolus, Arduin's World Book of Khaas, Frog God's Tome of Horrors Complete and Slumbering Tsar Saga all around 700 to 800 pages (or more) and only one of them cost over $100 retail

Interesting point on the value proposition, but there is a B&W at half the price, and the .  But,  I wouldn't sneeze at paying $10-$12ish for a 32 page module, and 80 pages is almost always $18-$20.  3-4 pages per dollar seems pretty flat until you get to the multi-hundred page whatevers.

And Lulu always seems to have a 25% overage on price comparability (based on nothing but my gut feel so far), probably due to the one-off nature of the products.

Tsar isn't a good example (for me).  Because, uh, I might have committed to the H/C, and still purchased the individual modules as well.  Hypothetically.  'Cause I think it's cool, like that.

Sunrunner44 - noted idiot.

Last edited by sunrunner44 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:27 pm 

they regularly do 25% (sometime 30%) off so that brings in more in line with the $100 books..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 pm 

You shouldn't buy anything at Lulu without first doing an internet search on Lulu Coupons.   20% off is a minimum coupon.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
That price is beyond retarded.  :?

I agree with you in principle however in this case they are only charging a few bucks more than what lulu charges. My guess they did this for the handful of fans that wanted the full color version and willing to pay any price for it. It not much extra work for the listing and they probably used the same pdf as they did for the other hard cover versions. What really stupid is Lulu charging that much to make a color book. RPGNOw uses the same printer (Lightning Source) and is much more reasonable. (Athough they have a crappier royalty ).

Image[/img]