Tome of Horrors
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 pm 

tsathogga wrote:SW version would remain collectable, of course.

Bill

In the future I want the option for us to divide the S&W version into like 3 books and sell it through POD (needs to be 3 books because POD is not stitched binding and a big book would fall apart) so that players can continue to get hardcopies of the content if they want it. I assume that as long as there's not another printing of a one-volume, super-bound version of the S&W book that would remain cool with the collector community.

Obviously there's only going to be the one run of the S&W single-volume Tome book just because of the minimum number required for that kind of run, but I don't want to rule out the multiple-volume POD possibility or we've just foreclosed a lot of future players from being able to get hold of a dead tree version ever for the future of the game.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm 

This is what I am coming up with...thoughts on 3 volume hardcover

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 pm 

tsathogga wrote:This is what I am coming up with...thoughts on 3 volume hardcover

I like the three book deal.  With this approach, you maintain the 'limited edition' status of your original massive Tome of Horrors offering while enabling others to obtain the content in a 'non-limited edition' fashion.  Of course, the completists in the group will have to buy both releases (Single Volume/3 Volumes) in both rulesets (Pathfinder and S&W.) :)

Note to self:  Buy more shelves...

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 am 

I think for Frog God this could be a big seller, especially since Paizo doesn't mind hyping it. So it would be kind of silly to not make it available again.

I agree with that three book idea to keep the 'complete' tome limited.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm 

A second print run of the Pathfinder version seems reasonable.  Mark it slightly different on the cover in some small way.

How many copies does it have to be to make the print run viable?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:52 pm 

Making deal now--"Tome of Horrors Unlimited" and a slightly different cover...hehe should increase the limited ed value anyway:)

Guys--I gotta say thanks again. Not one bad press on the reprint idea. That's a class act from all of you (people need play copies anyway, right?).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm 

Ok; books will go to press next week on an unlimited edition.

Side note--please be patient w/ me on emails/orders etc. for a few days--I got about 500 emails yesterday from panicked Pathfinder fans;lol. I will answer all of them in turn.

I will announce HERE on this forum when i put up the sale buttons o SW--I had a pre-existing deal w/ a couple of you (Blackmoor etc.), but no one else please, send me money until the buttons are up--it makes fulfillment manual; and that is fraught w/ peril.

I have about 100 copies of SW Tome left--maybe a few more than that, so if you watch the boards Sunday afternoon the 25th you will have no problem getting one or two. Likewise--I may have  a few extras of both (don't know yet) once I send all my author copies out. I'll keep everyone here posted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 pm 

ps--the three book thing was financially untenable--price point would have had to be like $125

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 pm 

How about a smaller format? Or a softcover POD like you did with RAR?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:59 pm 

softcover would fall apart--its just too big; not sure what you mean by smaller format

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm 

tsathogga wrote:softcover would fall apart--its just too big; not sure what you mean by smaller format

font size =2

LOL

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:23 am 

tsathogga wrote:softcover would fall apart--its just too big; not sure what you mean by smaller format

Like WoTC did with 3/4 size versions of their Rules Compendium, but like you say. It's really designed to be done with paperbacks.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:22 am 

tsathogga wrote:

I will announce HERE on this forum when i put up the sale buttons o SW--I had a pre-existing deal w/ a couple of you (Blackmoor etc.), but no one else please, send me money until the buttons are up--it makes fulfillment manual; and that is fraught w/ peril.

(Blackmoor etc.).........he just pisses me off.  :lol:

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:52 pm 

Yeah, for the three book thing, I was only talking about S&W. It's not a better deal for the buyer or for us, because lulu takes a bigger middleman cut, and the binding would cause us to do three books with that middleman cut being taken from each one. I would not be surprised if, even with FGG taking a big reduction in profit margin, the total cost of those three books would be over the $100 mark that the first commercially printed one-volume book required.

But there'd be no way to do a second commercial run of the one-volume S&W book; the demand is simply from too small a niche. So the only way to keep that material out there for S&W is to bite the bullet and accept both lower profits and higher consumer costs.

Which means that for S&W, there really won't be a one-volume second printing. The PF version at least has *some* economies of scale -- the S&W version managed to squeak by with a slight discount for the numbers, but we had to buy extras even to hit that point.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:35 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Arrives to me tomorrow and will begin to ship next week. Final book count is Pathfinder 1644 and SW 549 including all overprints....

thought you collectors would like to know numbers:)

Bill

Soo...   considering the 2nd unlimited print run, how collectible would you experts judge the 1st print TOH Complete (PF)? And compared to Tsar? or the planned RAR-HC ?

I'm trying to convince myself to shell out/invest $100+ plus international postage and hunt for this monster...

Last edited by frankfromgermany on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:47 pm 

Just got my ToH today from Paizo-Man, is it massive! Very pleased with it, though it will probably be the first and last Frog God games title I buy-not because I'm not satisfied, but all I really wanted was PF updates to the multitudes of FF/MM/MM2 monsters that got left out of every other book.

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:40 am 

The limited ToH Complete is still available at Noble Knight games. (No pdf included though...)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:22 am 

A number have shown up on Ebay now too.

PreviousNext