Tome of Horrors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 31, 2, 3
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6427
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:27 pm 
 

Slumbering Tsar
Why the change to greyscale for the maps?
Each of the previous ones had coloured maps. The greyscale maps jar a little with the feel of the product. Seem incongruous.

Tome of Horrors
Are these available in two flavours, or just Pathfinder?
I realise numbers are gonna be extremely limited.  :D


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:04 pm 
 

we can't afford color interiors--nothing was ever planned in print/color interiors. Pdf color is obviously free...

Both flavors--will have a few of each book--maybe 100 PF and 150 SW



 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3828
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 07, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:06 pm 
 

tsathogga wrote:we can't afford color interiors--nothing was ever planned in print/color interiors. Pdf color is obviously free...

Both flavors--will have a few of each book--maybe 100 PF and 150 SW


I prefer greyscale. I think the first few maps in the pdf might have been more brownish.


"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:07 pm 
 

I think I will even impress you w/ these bindings--it was worth the extra money for sure...this book is a weapon



 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6427
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm 
 

I meant the PDFs.
I too prefer greyscale with printed products, especially if the cartography is designed with that in mind.
I just meant that it was the first PDF that you'd put out with the maps in greyscale.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2459
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 06, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:17 pm 
 

Looks like Paiso has some.. email just sent
'


But no more! Original Necromancer Games partners Clark Peterson and Bill Webb have teamed up with Pathfinder superstar Greg A. Vaughan to produce an all-new Tome of Horrors, the Tome of Horrors Complete! This 800-page volume, which contains all three previous volumes plus new material fully updated to the Pathfinder RPG, contains more than 750 stat blocks, and dwarfs our own Core Rulebook and the legendary Ptolus campaign setting to weigh in as the largest roleplaying game book I've ever seen.

A project of this magnitude had to have a catch, of course, and in this case the catch is a doozy. The Tome of Horrors Complete was printed in extremely limited quantities, and once that first print run is gone, it's gone for good. By special arrangement with the publisher, paizo.com has managed to secure the lion's share of the print run, but even these (we're talking hundreds of copies, here) are sure to sell out in record time.

As a special offer to paizo.com customers, we're offering $10 off our price for the Tome of Horrors Complete print and PDF bundle ($99.99). This offer extends only until Thursday, September 22, 2011, but we don't expect the full print run to last even that long.
"


Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 am 
 

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/f/frog ... 48btpy8mqb

Here is the link to Paizo's current listing.  It is good only for right freakin' now.  As the email I got says, the offer is good only until  September 22, 2011 and probably won't last that long...maybe not even 24 hours.

Get there and order one while the offer is still good.

This is a piece of gaming history...the publication that broke the OGL wide open and made everything possible, including the existence of Pathfinder.

This link is for the Pathfinder version being sold by Paizo.

Even if you don't like Pathfinder or D20 gaming or anything to do with the D20 phenomenon, you might want one just because it's going to go up in price right away.

There it is.

(Full disclosure:  Yes, I'm a Frog God Games partisan. You should still listen.)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 588
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Last Visit: Oct 06, 2021
Location: Hong Kong

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:16 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:Here is the link to Paizo's current listing.  It is good only for right freakin' now.  As the email I got says, the offer is good only until  September 22, 2011 and probably won't last that long...maybe not even 24 hours.

Get there and order one while the offer is still good.

(Full disclosure:  Yes, I'm a Frog God Games partisan. You should still listen.)


Hey FormCritic,

Well I can never pass up a good deal, even with the shipping to Hong Kong (damn near gave me a heart attack. :P )

Best regards,
Ronald

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 141
Joined: Jul 11, 2008
Last Visit: Oct 14, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 am 
 

I'm just curious, I know the answer might be "hell yes," but are these books really going to go up in value from a starting point of $100 (ok, $90 with that special)?

I realize that Paizo is likely to sell out in a flash, but it would seem like (and I am NOT a serious collector) that a higher initial price would slow down the price-climb more than it would for a less expensive book like the first Insidious printing.

Or does the combination of the high price plus the rapid transition to out of print actually increase the collectable value? Because I want to have one of these to use, and I don't want to be KICKING myself for not getting an extra one while they're available.

Obviously they're going to appreciate, I'm just wondering about the speed and extent of it, really.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6427
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:04 pm 
 

I read somewhere that the PDF was released already.
Purely from a collector's pov, I suspect the non-Pathfinder one will be the more collectable, although maybe the Pathfinder one will be the one most played with.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 pm 
 

Mythmere1 wrote:I'm just curious, I know the answer might be "hell yes," but are these books really going to go up in value from a starting point of $100 (ok, $90 with that special)?

I realize that Paizo is likely to sell out in a flash, but it would seem like (and I am NOT a serious collector) that a higher initial price would slow down the price-climb more than it would for a less expensive book like the first Insidious printing.

Or does the combination of the high price plus the rapid transition to out of print actually increase the collectable value? Because I want to have one of these to use, and I don't want to be KICKING myself for not getting an extra one while they're available.

Obviously they're going to appreciate, I'm just wondering about the speed and extent of it, really.


I guess the speed of appreciation might be slower because of the initial cost.  That is true.  Down the road it will be a sought-after item.

I am enthusiastic about the book because it won't appear again.  I think it is like Castle Zagyg, The Upper Works.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 870
Joined: Apr 16, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 22, 2021
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:20 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I read somewhere that the PDF was released already.
Purely from a collector's pov, I suspect the non-Pathfinder one will be the more collectable, although maybe the Pathfinder one will be the one most played with.


The PDF looks great, but I am ready for my dead tree copy.  In preparation for their arrival, I spent the past weekend reinforcing the bookcase to support the Pathfinder and Swords and Wizardry copies side-by-side.  8O

Agreed, Pathfinder has a much wider audience and will probably sell out first.  Best to buy two of each, one to have and one to sell later. ;)


Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 17, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:45 pm 
 

smarmy1 wrote:
The PDF looks great, but I am ready for my dead tree copy.  In preparation for their arrival, I spent the past weekend reinforcing the bookcase to support the Pathfinder and Swords and Wizardry copies side-by-side.  8O

Agreed, Pathfinder has a much wider audience and will probably sell out first.  Best to buy two of each, one to have and one to sell later. ;)


Who is selling the S&W version beside Frog God (sold out) and Paizo (Sold Out).  I got one from Bill, justcurious who else is selling them?


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
 

Have you tried the Paizo link, Blackmoor?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 17, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 pm 
 

FormCritic wrote:Have you tried the Paizo link, Blackmoor?


I did, it takes to to the Pathfinder version not the S&W version, after doing a search all paizo has available for the S&W version is the PDF  :?


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:12 pm 
 

Try to latch on directly to tsathogga to get hold of a Swords and Wizardry copy.

I got a feeling he's gonna get a lot of requests.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:26 pm 
 

buttons for both up on the 26th--I have very limited quantities left of both



 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 pm 
 

I just got an email from Erik Mona.  I was able to order Pathfinder version from the email.

I now should be getting both versions.

Martin

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:18 pm 
 

Who would be pissed off if I did a second printing of the Pathfinder Tome--I could slap a "secvond edition" stamp on it.

Reason I ask is I just got off the phone w/ Paizo--and they have 63 copies left after 4 hours...over 900 sold.

SW version would remain collectable, of course. Figure if it pissed anyone off it would be you guys; so wanted to vett the idea.

Bill



 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4504
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 22, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:36 pm 
 

I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Course I don't own the Tome of Horrors Complete, I do think the desire for this makes sense to keep it available.

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 31, 2, 3