OSRIC
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:31 pm 

PapersAndPaychecks wrote:OSRIC v1.00 was a tool for publishers.  OSRIC v2.00 was intended to play.

I think this is right on target. I don't think Stuart and I disagree about the objectives of OSRIC, it's just that OSRIC 1.0 was written in anticipation of an audience of maybe a couple hundred. OSRIC 2.0 was written with the knowledge that it's actually many thousands*, and that they're using it to actually game, rather than as a publication reference. If I'd known that was going to happen, I'd have thought up a sexier name than OSRIC.

*Not kidding. I've sold in the vicinity of 2,000 copies of Swords & Wizardry (OD&D equivalent of OSRIC) at this point, and that's the printed copies, not counting the free pdf downloads. OSRIC is obviously many times bigger than Swords & Wizardry, so I'm perfectly comfortable with guessing that there's an audience well over five thousand for OSRIC.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:11 pm 

There could be no better name than OSRIC for a gaming system. One of the last long running campaigns I GM'd was accompanied by the Ozrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL1n7gtdFTA

Many of the adventure sites were based around ideas weaved from themes: the Domes of G'Baal, Oakum, Al-Salooq, Phalarn Dawn etc

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 pm 

obiter wrote:There could be no better name than OSRIC for a gaming system. One of the last long running campaigns I GM'd was accompanied by the Ozrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL1n7gtdFTA

Many of the adventure sites were based around ideas weaved from themes: the Domes of G'Baal, Oakum, Al-Salooq, Phalarn Dawn etc

Of course the clone for 2nd Edition is going to have to be called Findo

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:52 pm 

Nice literary reference.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:51 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Nice literary reference.

Indeed. Two n's though. Shame he never wove them into the 2nd series somehow. As I recall, it wasn't clear that they were both dead.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm 

Is that the Terry Brooks character?  (Or am I missing something... not unusual)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:02 am 

davidc wrote:Is that the Terry Brooks character?  (Or am I missing something... not unusual)

Thought it might be Zelazny's Amber series but not sure as I don't have the books with me right now.

Best regards,
Ronald

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:01 am 

davidc wrote:Is that the Terry Brooks character?  (Or am I missing something... not unusual)

Zelazny, in Nine Princes in Amber. Osric and Finndo were two older brothers of Benedict (I believe by the same mother, and sons of Oberon of course). I don't have the quote right in front of me and don't have the time to look it up right now, but IIRC they're only mentioned briefly and it is implied that they displeased Oberon somehow and thereafter "disappeared" or were killed. I seem to recall that it was pretty clear one was dead (Osric?), but not as clear about the other.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote: Osric and Finndo were two older brothers of Benedict

Ah yes, I looked at that reference all week without getting it! Zelazny's phrasing was something like "it became necessary for them to lose their lives for the good of the kingdom" or somesuch. The Old Testament tradition of failure by the older brother must be a shadow of this one true model. I've been working on my Zelazny collection of late, such as:
The Illustrated Zelazny, original large edition.
Issues of T&T's Sorcerer's Apprentice, with Dilvish stories.
The Ron Walotsky illustrations, including the boxed set "The Four Amber Novels," obviously from A DIFFERENT SHADOW THAN OUR OWN where only four volumes were ever written; there are some desolate hell-shadows where only the last five exist.
The Galaxy Magazine serialization of vol.s 3-5, including an illustration by Wendy Pini of ElfQuest.
Changeling, with the adorable near-nekkid cutie-pie on the spine who informed so many of my adolescent fantasies.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:20 am 

sauromatian wrote:I've been working on my Zelazny collection of late, such as:
The Illustrated Zelazny, original large edition.
Issues of T&T's Sorcerer's Apprentice, with Dilvish stories.
The Ron Walotsky illustrations, including the boxed set "The Four Amber Novels," obviously from A DIFFERENT SHADOW THAN OUR OWN where only four volumes were ever written; there are some desolate hell-shadows where only the last five exist.
The Galaxy Magazine serialization of vol.s 3-5, including an illustration by Wendy Pini of ElfQuest.
Changeling, with the adorable near-nekkid cutie-pie on the spine who informed so many of my adolescent fantasies.

Hey sauromatian,

Nice pick ups there.
I was happy to find a 1st Edn Eye of the Cat, the last time I was in Toronto.

Best regards,
Ronald

Previous