Old School White Box Sets
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:16 pm 

Long time non-use of magical re-chargeabe storage devices....

Perhaps instead of loosing spells, a magical re-chargeabe storage device simply looses Charges when stored or unused for long periods of time.

Example 1: If left in a dungeon for centuries, the staff (or whatever) must be recharged to work.
Maybe a staff would loose one charge per one year of inactivity.
A hundred charge capacity staff looses all charges after 100 years of inactivity.

Example 2: Perhaps a ring might hold the charges much longer but could not store nearly as many charges as a staff would.
Perhaps place a limit of 10 charges (Max) for rings, loosing one charge per decade of non-use.
Unless of course an un-dead creature is wearing that magical ring...  :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:19 pm 

One year per charge would not affect player characters and would only cause problems for the DM.

Better just to go with the rules as written rather than hassle over this rule varient.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:56 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Maybe a staff would loose one charge per one year of inactivity.
A hundred charge capacity staff looses all charges after 100 years of inactivity.

Example 2: Perhaps a ring might hold the charges much longer but could not store nearly as many charges as a staff would.
Perhaps place a limit of 10 charges (Max) for rings, loosing one charge per decade of non-use.

What if the magic item uses dark energy, should an inverse function of the above work?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:38 am 

sauromatian wrote:
What if the magic item uses dark energy, should an inverse function of the above work?

Meaning the staff, ring, or scroll gains spells over time?
That'd give advantages to evil magic users.
Unless you only play law, neutrality, chaos alignments, in which case morality wouldn't/shouldn't matter, right?

My brain is half-fried from our Griswold family Christmas -- so forgive my dumb question -- but how did wizards cast spells in REH, Moorcock, or Zelazny?
Any of those use anything that could be incorporated into an old school rules set?

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:34 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:how did wizards cast spells in REH, Moorcock, or Zelazny?
Any of those use anything that could be incorporated into an old school rules set?

Maybe someone can fill in for REH, but I mostly recall a barbarian's perspective, that magic is too weird to understand. Moorcock's wizards summon spirits to perform the work, while Zelazny used a number of descriptions - Amber had the Cosmological Anthropic Principle from quantum physics, alongside gnosticism.

Players of magic users could incorporate these systems into gaming like so:
Howard inspired: I'm too dumb to figure out this magic chart.
Moorcock inspired: Will you figure out this magic chart for me? I'm too much of a prima donna, & besides you owe me for the last pizza.
Zelazny inspired: The DM doesn't properly understand this magic chart, only I do, for I am a god among rules lawyers. I'm going to march off in a huff to form my own gaming group, although I might return with obnoxious friends from time to time, just to cause trouble.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:15 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Maybe someone can fill in for REH, but I mostly recall a barbarian's perspective, that magic is too weird to understand. Moorcock's wizards summon spirits to perform the work, while Zelazny used a number of descriptions - Amber had the Cosmological Anthropic Principle from quantum physics, alongside gnosticism.

Players of magic users could incorporate these systems into gaming like so:
Howard inspired: I'm too dumb to figure out this magic chart.
Moorcock inspired: Will you figure out this magic chart for me? I'm too much of a prima donna, & besides you owe me for the last pizza.
Zelazny inspired: The DM doesn't properly understand this magic chart, only I do, for I am a god among rules lawyers. I'm going to march off in a huff to form my own gaming group, although I might return with obnoxious friends from time to time, just to cause trouble.

Well said!  LOL.

As a physicist, I can say with authority that the cosmological anthropoid principle from quantum mechanics is something that I can pronounce.

Perhaps the more prudent approach is this one:
FormCritic wrote:Better just to go with the rules as written rather than hassle over this rule varient.

That'd solve a lot of problems ;-)

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Previous