Old School White Box Sets
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm 

I'm looking to start a collection of those OD&D clones (aka simulacra) that are published as white box sets, as well as digest-sized supplements.

Do any of you know which rules sets are available in this format?

The most common OSR rules appear to be:

OSRIC
Basic Fantasy RPG
Swords & Wizardry
Spellcraft & Swordplay
Microlite 74 or 75
Labyrinth Lord
Dark Dungeons

I love box sets (OD&D, C&C, Traveller) and would be interested to hear thoughts from other collectors.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Do any of you know which rules sets are available in this format?

Swords & Wizardry came in various White Box versions.  I do not know which printings are which.  The S&W White Boxes are out-of-print.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I'm looking to start a collection of those OD&D clones (aka simulacra) that are published as white box sets, as well as digest-sized supplements.

Good luck.  Only Swords & Wizardry and Spellcraft & Swordplay came in box sets.  The S&W box set may be easy to get a hold of since there were quite a few printed and a few people have more than one copy.  The other one may be difficult at best since only 30 were made.

There are two box sets that are supposed to be coming out sometime this year from Brave Halfling Publishing.  Delving Deeper and X-Plorers.

http://bravehalfling.com/?page_id=812
http://bravehalfling.com/?page_id=827

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:22 am 

It's not a clone but it deserves to be mentioned: C&C in the edition of the collectors' boxed set...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:30 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Good luck.  Only Swords & Wizardry and Spellcraft & Swordplay came in box sets.  The S&W box set may be easy to get a hold of since there were quite a few printed and a few people have more than one copy.  The other one may be difficult at best since only 30 were made.

There are two box sets that are supposed to be coming out sometime this year from Brave Halfling Publishing.  Delving Deeper and X-Plorers.

http://bravehalfling.com/?page_id=812
http://bravehalfling.com/?page_id=827

And there were different variants on the S&W boxed sets. One that I can remember was a special "referee bundle" that came with extras copies of the Character and Spells booklets. I doubt if there were differences in the books or box, but it was sold as a separate set.

There was also a boxed set from Carcosa (spelling?), but it was extremely limited like the Spellcraft & Swordplay set.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:49 pm 

aia wrote:It's not a clone but it deserves to be mentioned: C&C in the edition of the collectors' boxed set...

I have the C&C set.  Glad they did that.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:52 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Yeah, it's a challenge to say the least.
This is one of those "just for fun" endeavors.

I *would* love to find an S&S set, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Keith

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:57 pm 

GreyM wrote:And there were different variants on the S&W boxed sets. One that I can remember was a special "referee bundle" that came with extras copies of the Character and Spells booklets. I doubt if there were differences in the books or box, but it was sold as a separate set.

Yeah, I remember that as well.  Looks like this:

Completely different art on the back side.  No idea how many were produced though.

As for the Carcosa boxed set, only 10 of them were made.  And again I assumed they were made specifically for friends of the author.  And I dont really consider it to be a retro-clone or simulacrum.  More of an expansion to the original rules.  I'd be curious to find out what differs rulewise between the box set and the regular release.

You can see more pictures of it here:

http://cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... d-set.html

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:06 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:As for the Carcosa boxed set, only 10 of them were made.  And again I assumed they were made specifically for friends of the author.  And I dont really consider it to be a retro-clone or simulacrum.  More of an expansion to the original rules.  I'd be curious to find out what differs rulewise between the box set and the regular release.

I'd like to see the regular release, too.  This is an OD&D rules set in an alternate Lovecraft universe?   That'd be cool.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
I'd like to see the regular released, too.  This is OD&D rules in a Lovecraft universe?   That'd be cool.

http://lotfp.blogspot.com/2010/10/lotfp ... 99b8be9348

You'll be able to get Carcosa again pretty soon.  James Raggi is releasing a new version of it later this year.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:28 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
http://lotfp.blogspot.com/2010/10/lotfp ... 99b8be9348

You'll be able to get Carcosa again pretty soon.  James Raggi is releasing a new version of it later this year.

And thus it should be pointed out that there are two versions of Lamentations Of The Flame Princess box sets (white no, OSR yes).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
And thus it should be pointed out that there are two versions of Lamentations Of The Flame Princess box sets (white no, OSR yes).

Completely forgot about those.  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:09 pm 

Hmmm, I missed the news about a Carcosa boxed set:  thanks John, will have to look at that later.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:21 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
I *would* love to find an S&S set, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Maybe...maybe not... I like having the set, but there's no reason for me to keep it for my collection. There was no "personal" connection to it for/from me so I would probably be interested in trading/selling it. The sad thing is we don't really have an idea of what its worth either. Just PM me if interested to keep this thread on topic.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:48 pm 

GreyM wrote:The sad thing is we don't really have an idea of what its worth either. Just PM me if interested to keep this thread on topic.

Ebay it, several of us, including me, will be on it for sure :D

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:
Ebay it, several of us, including me, will be on it for sure :D

Agreed.  I get in hunter-gatherer mode about every 6 months.
The collecting bug has bitten me again.
<ouch>

And also: Carcosa is a standalone set of rules?
I like the artwork on the LotFP blog.  And it's a shame I'm not in Helsinki.  I'm free on Sundays.

Last edited by Keith the Thief on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
I'd like to see the regular release, too.  This is an OD&D rules set in an alternate Lovecraft universe?   That'd be cool.

I don't know about the expanded Carcosa boxed set.  I can tell you about the original Carcosa supplement....

It was not a rules booklet.  Rather, it was intended as an extension of the original Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, Gods-Demigods and Swords and Spells supplement line.  You can see it described on the boxed set cover as "Supplement V."

Carcosa was Lovecraftian in the sense that it is a wierd and hopeless place out of a Lovecraft Dreamworld setting.

A large portion of the book is used up on various spells a wizard can cast after performing lengthy rituals involving, rape, human sacrifice, torture and sexual abuse of children...usually all at the same time.

It was enough to bother me, and I wouldn't regard myself as politically correct or easily offended.

I don't think Geoffrey McKinney meant it all to be taken seriously, but it was not a nice publication.

The Carcosa boxed set was obviously done as a very limited run because of its clear use of TSR-owned artwork and probably other TSR intellectual properties.

Still, I wish I had one of the 10 limited edition boxed sets....

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 pm 

FormCritic wrote:A large portion of the book is used up on various spells a wizard can cast after performing lengthy rituals involving, rape, human sacrifice, torture and sexual abuse of children...usually all at the same time.

It was enough to bother me, and I wouldn't regard myself as politically correct or easily offended.

Neither am I, but this sounds a little too disturbing for my taste as well.
I'm especially bothered by anything involving kids.
I'll put this on the back burner.
I appreciate the heads-up.

Keith

Next