ORiginal G4 PDF found!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:18 pm 

In regards to the "Complete" thread in the Collecting General (all things TSR) forum, I made this announcement:

News flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just stumbled across the 1st/original G4 pdf I put together in 2008. It is nothing like the one that eventually came to be, has 2 map levels, and is totally unlike what is currently available at my store.
I also found 2 pieces of interior art I had intended to include, but didn't (cos I'm a lousy artist).
This pdf states it was written by "Thorkhammer & RC Pinnell"...
Ak'ptui already acquired all the physical copies of miscellaneous early cover drafts, maps, etc. But this pdf is something that no one has but me.

Now my mind is wondering, if there is any interest in it?

I have compiled the pdf, along with a little seen cover (Ak'ptui has the actual physical copy now I believe) and 2 pieces of interior art I had intended on inserting into the file and never did (he doesn't have these!)

At any rate, some interest has been voiced about obtaining this to complete the G collection (and my part--G4 to G9-- in particular). Those of you that are interested, I have arranged to provide it through Lulu. It is an ebook download, for $2.75. Those wishing to obtain it, can follow this link:

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/g4-s ... 9/10988586

I intend to limit the downloads to the first 50. After which, I am removing it from access.

Please note: all art/maps is by me, very crude, very OSR. The text and layout, however, are comparable to most current standards.
[/quote]

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:39 am 

Any chance we'll be seeing a G4-9 Supermodule in the future?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:58 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Any chance we'll be seeing a G4-9 Supermodule in the future?

Yes. A very good one, too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:20 pm 

Please let me know if anyone has trouble downloading the pdf from Lulu. Sieg from over at DF said he purchased a copy and received his receipts from both Paypal and Lulu but doesn't have the file. Has this happened to any of you; I'm thinking it is just snagged in his server.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 pm 

Any chance you could provide a larger version of the map?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:50 am 

dbartman wrote:Any chance you could provide a larger version of the map?

I don't have the lower level, Ak'Ptui owns it now. But I do have a copy of the upper level I think.  Yep, found it. Try this link:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23 ... level.jpg/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:23 am 

Well just downloaded my copy!  This is just an awesome find since last I spoke to you about this copy you thought this version was lost forever when your previous computer died on you or something.  Really happy this was found ...though um ...the Giant Cheetah/Leopard is missing godsdam! :)

Though the newer version(s) of G4 are slicker to be sure, to me this early version has always evoked the spirit of the G-series more with its primal artwork.  Thanks for making this available.

Cheers!

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:18 am 

Yea, Ak-- I was digging around through one of my flashdrives and nearly fell out of my chair when I realized what I saw.

The maps are nowhere as clear as the originals you have but, its cool that those who want some reall OS can at least get a pdf of it.

By the way, Misterspock has informed me that he has created a larger copy of the lower level and is sending me a file. When I get it, I will post a link so everyone can have it as well (it'll likely be grainy but, at least it will be nearer to actual size.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:42 am 

Here she be! For those of you desiring a larger copy of the lower level of the original G4 pdf adventure, follow this link and download 'er.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33 ... medsh.jpg/

Sorry it is not as clean as the original (Ak'Ptui, yer a lucky man!)... but its better than the little one in the pdf.

And thanks to MisterSpock for doing all the work on this one.

Enjoy, everyone.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 am 

Supermodule

This is not meant to be personal, it is meant as an unbiased critical appraisal of your product as it currently stands, and ,y assessment of the market as a reseller of small press products in that markets.

I think you need a better cover. It doesn't have a professional 'feel' about it. I don't know where you see your product (in relation to other products on the market) or whether you aspire to publish the product professionally. The current cover is just a hash of the existing covers, and the existing covers have no unity or common feel about them as they are. Introducing a clashing colour is not good either.

It is not a product I'd buy multiple copies of, and as a reseller, that is the question I ask myself. Can I sell this product to people? Do I want to put in a few hundred pounds and add it to my existing catalog?

I could do it with the products put out by LotFP (who by all accounts is a single guy publishing from a home PC) and I could do it with products from Black Blade, PPP and a dozen other small outfits. This product may be there (from what I've read) in written form, but it needs a unifying edit to bring it togtether, and it needs a single unifying re-preseting of the interior art, cartography, cover plates and typesetting.

You have a product that the likes of Black Blade can polish and present, and there are 101 different experienced individuals in the communities who can give you focused constructive critical advice. Most importantly you need to decide where you see your product going, what your target market is, and how many units you want to sell to them.

You've done the donkey work. The writing and structure are there. It was the hardest bit. Now I was hoping to see a single polished press quality product that would look like it belonged on the shelves of a games store. If you want something more than what you already have, it's time to build a team of people who know what they are doing around you. There are plenty to call upon. If you want to remain in absolute controt, you will not be able to look upon what you have objectively, and for the most part, unless you offer 'more', there is no need for anyone to buy the same stuff again.

The 'more' is the professional presentation, the eye for detail in the typesetting, the unified artwork, the commonality in the cartography, and the polish to the coverplates and the binding.

Look at the likes of FGG and ask yourself, "Is there any reason why I cannot present a product of that visual quality?"

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the comment, Mbass--

I wasn't thinking of the Supermodule in terms of a "product" as much as a something some members might want to add to their collection.

I am currently not associated with an artist on any project. Thus, if I am going to consider doing up a new cover, I will have to begin making the rounds. Having said that, I am not opposed to someone (any acaeum members interested?) letting me know they are interested in adding their name to this item.

Also of note: I am including a short mini-encounter at the end of the entire thing... a "G10" so to say...that will surprise (I hope) many.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:04 pm 

From the classifieds post...

Thork N Hammer, Esquire wrote:I apologize upfront that the Pdf with added adventure does not have a cover. This is due to both being in the same file, and I cannot have a separate page count for both the Hardcopy&Pdf off the same download.

So... why wouldn't you add the cover to the file used for both the pdf/POD?  What is a POD without a cover going to be like?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:From the classifieds post...

So... why wouldn't you add the cover to the file used for both the pdf/POD?  What is a POD without a cover going to be like?

Its a Lulu thing. If I add a cover to the file, it will add one to both the pdf and pod. It doesn't affect the pdf so much, but creates a duplicate cover in the print version, and throws the page count off, resulting in 3 blank pages at the back.

However, one can always download the free pdf that has a cover (but not the added material) and walla!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:38 pm 

Thork N Hammer, Esquire wrote:Its a Lulu thing. If I add a cover to the file, it will add one to both the pdf and pod.

Hey Rob, maybe consider having two separate lulu products: One for pdf and one for pod. That's how most other publishers avoid the cover problem you describe.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:Hey Rob, maybe consider having two separate lulu products: One for pdf and one for pod. That's how most other publishers avoid the cover problem you describe.

Hi, Guy...long time...

Yeah. I just spent a half hour doing just that. I now have the complete PDF with cover and additional material in my sweaty little hands. Now available for purchase at  my Lulu store. Follow the link in my sig below)
The pdf also contains the added material at the end. And I am going to make this available free to anyone that buys the print/pod through a direct link. That will be next week.

Last edited by Thork N Hammer on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am 

Making the PDF available for free is kinda a kick in the teeth to those who bought all the individual PDFs as they came out along the way. It would be like FGG rewarding all the loyal subscribers by giving away the PDF book for free when it's complete after everyone has paid to download all the PDFs each month.

Maybe having no free version would be a better play.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 pm 

You may have a point there, MBass--

Originally my thought was to provide the pdf free to anyone that purchased the hardcopy. But there are those that just want a pdf, because they are (understandably) cheaper. My problem is in figuring out how to provide the POD customers with a free copy that the PDF customers can't get for free as well.

So, currently, I am kind of mixed up in the head trying to sort it all out.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 pm 

In the printed version, provide a URL where the pdf can be downloaded.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Next