Board Game Storage - Tons of Pieces
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:26 pm 

Hello, all.

One of my favorite board games of all time is Talisman. For those who aren't familiar with it, the game contains hundreds of cards, plastic pieces, miniatures, different sized boards, you name it. The company currently releasing it, Fantasy Flight Games, offers up expansions for the game as well, every few months, so the amount of pieces contained within the game increase.

This post : http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=49&efcid=1&efidt=513177 shows a very elegant solution to the problem of wanting to keep everything together, and protected.

My problem comes in that the company selling those boxes is European based, so the cost of that exact setup is about 80 bucks USD. Not a ton, but certainly not "inexpensive," either. Also, in a few expansions, that solution is going to need to be revised.

I can't help but to think that someone out there has run into this same problem, and I'm actually a little surprised that gaming companies that release this stuff don't open separate markets for storage solutions designed specifically for their product.

So, who better to ask than a bunch of gamers and collectors?

What do YOU guys do? I really don't want to go the route of having multiple "Plano-type" bins, but I do want something durable, and portable.

So, how do you guys handle this type of problem? Any specific companies you would reccomend?

Thanks in advance, and Cheers!

~Galladril~

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm 

Why are the cardboard pieces punched out of their sheets and the plastic pieces taken off their sprues?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm 

Mars wrote:Why are the cardboard pieces punched out of their sheets and the plastic pieces taken off their sprues?

:lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 pm 

The Staples office-supply chainstore (and probably Office Depot) sells a version of those small, clear boxes with blue handles.  Give one of those stores a try.

Ziploc bags are cheap and can hold the small plastic bits.  Small cardboard or plastic boxes are relatively cheap and can hold the cards.

If the shrinkwrap is never removed, then everything can remain nice and neat in its original box.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:22 am 

The boxes shown in the pictures look like they're from "Really Useful Boxes". I know they are sold at OfficeDepot stores in the US. They might be sold at other stores as well. If you can't find them locally, you can always order off their (OfficeDepot) web site. If your $80 is priced off their site, please ignore this post  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:42 am 

I'm with JG, ziploc baggies are great and they come in all sizes.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com