DCC RPG beta this Wed
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:30 pm 

Traveller wrote: Just look at pre-Supplement 1 OD&D, which only required a d6. When Supplement I was released, suddenly a d4, d8, d12(?), and d20 were required to go with the d6. That is a significant addition, and is as significant an addition as DCC requiring funky dice. Yet neither you nor I have ever played Dungeons & Dragons using only a d6.

We've never played supplementless OD&D with D6 only, because to do so would mean ditching the saving throw, contact higher plane, number appearing, % in liar tables, etc. If you lacked a D12, you wouldn't know how many mummies you've encountered.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:13 am 

You're right. I had weapon damage in mind when I said that. But, when you find the saving throw tables in OD&D, let me know. Somehow, I doubt you'll find them. I spent three years going over all the books with a fine-toothed comb and I couldn't find them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 am 

The saving throw table is on page 20 of Men&Magic. Do you mean that it doesn't explicitly say to use a d20 when rolling on the table?

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Previous