DCC RPG beta this Wed
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:56 pm 

Two-fold post:

First, thank you to everyone that played in my games at NTRPG Con. You had a finite weekend and any number of awesome DMs to dice with, and yet you chose to spend a few hours playtesting a system. Thank you!

Second: The DCC RPG beta goes live this Wednesday at http://www.goodman-games.com. If you enjoyed the game, want a look at more classic art, or just really enjoy proofreading, please don't hesitate to download the rules.

Again, thanks guys.

//H

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 am 

Yeh, guys, pick this up. Do yourself a huge favor, the game is equal to the buzz.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:39 pm 

Dear Mr. Stroh,

Will the DCC RPG beta be available sans artwork, i.e. as a simple text file? The reason I ask is that I have a slow dial-up connection, and can only realistically download smallish files of no more than 10 MB. Also, will the forthcoming modules produced for the game be compatible with older fantasy RPGs such as 1st Edition D&D/AD&D? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
            Alphonso Warden

P.S. If you could make available again the 1st Edition Rules Dungeon Crawl Classics modules, that would be great! I own all save for Talons of the Horned King and The Golden Auroch, and would like to complete my collection. I especially enjoyed The Iron Crypt of the Heretics. That is exactly the kind of lethal, Tomb of Horrors-styled module I enjoy.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 am 

It's up now --> http://www.goodman-games.com/DCCRPGbeta.html

Alphonso : it looks like its a 25MB file...if you want, I should* be able to compress it into 5MB chunks and put it up on here to make it easier for you to grab. Unfortunately, you'll still be downloading the whole 25MB though. There does not appear to be a text only file download.

* as long as Goodman Games doesn't have a problem with me doing this for you

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm 

Thanks for the offer GreyM, but 25 MB, even if divided in chunks, would literally take me all day to download. This is assuming, of course, that my IP service doesn't crash during the download as per usual -- LOL.

Even though it doesn't look like I will realistically get to preview the rules, I still plan on picking up a hardcopy of the introductory adventure for the game on GM's day at my local hobby store.

Sincerely,
            Alphonso Warden

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:40 pm 

After browsing through the pdf, I would think that by just viewing the text of the file, you will be missing quite a bit of the "feel". I did export just the text from the pdf and its hard to read, keep track of what is supposed to be where, etc. Without them (Goodman Games) actually making a text only version with proper layout, I think you're going to be out of luck until November.

I might be able to extract the PDF into say 10 page chunks (168 pages total) if you think that might help you? The total would still be 25MB, but you'd be able to download 10 pages and read those while the next 10 pages are downloading. If my math is right, it would be roughly 1.4MB per 10 page chunk.

Again, you'd be downloading the whole 25MB, just in readable 1.4MB pieces.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:54 pm 

Munafik wrote:Thanks for the offer GreyM, but 25 MB, even if divided in chunks, would literally take me all day to download. This is assuming, of course, that my IP service doesn't crash during the download as per usual -- LOL.

Even though it doesn't look like I will realistically get to preview the rules, I still plan on picking up a hardcopy of the introductory adventure for the game on GM's day at my local hobby store.

Sincerely,
            Alphonso Warden

Alphonso,

Drop by the GG forums and PM me your physical address. It will take a little longer but I can mail you a printout of the beta.

//H

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm 

GreyM wrote:* as long as Goodman Games doesn't have a problem with me doing this for you

No worries. It's on the internet. Even if we did object, we'd be fools to try and stop you. :)

//H

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 pm 

First Impression:   8O

I haven't read the rules yet.  Who needs to?

The artwork tells you immediately that this is gaming done right.

This is the Beta?

You guys who might not be interested in another rules set need to download and just gaze at this publication.  All old school...even an Erol Otus in there!  

Nice work indeed, Harley!

If the game lives up to even a part of the design layout, you've got a winner.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 pm 

Downloaded the rules last night at midnight +1.  (Download number 384 :))

I particularly enjoy the variable spell effects based on a d20 and your level - sometimes the spells are weaker, sometimes they are more powerful, and sometimes they just plain don't work.  8O The DM and/or players will need the spell pages handy, but it should not be too cumbersome during gameplay.  Also, the more spells you cast, the more energy drained per day which lessens the chance of a greater/beneficial impact.... Sweet. :)

By the way, Harley ran my favorite game at the Con; he is a fantastic DM and really made the story come to life with his unique storytelling style accompanied by the Dwarf jester, Mendax.  (Sounded like a cross between Gonzo and Grover from Sesame Street.  Oh master! Oh master!  Thank you. Thank you. Grmphl.. Grmphl.. Grmphl.. 'as he chews on the rope binding his mouth.')  Our group missed the subtle clues prior to the climactic battle and ended up in an orgy of party self-annihilation - not our finest hour, but I believe everyone enjoyed the game and the adventure immensely.  My son talked about the game the entire trip home and even felt some remorse at killing Martin's fighter twice.  I told him not to worry; it was just Martin. ;)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:43 pm 

"it's just Martin."  Is that how you southerners raise your children.  No problem.  Understand something, whether your 13 or 40 if you come after my characters I'm coming after you.  Fair warning to Gabe. :)  Retribution will be mine.

By the way, Harley's game was my favorite as well.  Anytime the  party feels the need to turn on each other it creates great role playing.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:Our group missed the subtle clues prior to the climactic battle and ended up in an orgy of party self-annihilation - not our finest hour, but I believe everyone enjoyed the game and the adventure immensely.

I just love it when a hastily devised, insane plan works out almost to perfection.  :lol:   I think I am going to play chaotic neutral characters more often in the future.  The one disappointment about Harley's game is that I was having so much fun wrecking everyone's plans that I completely forgot to take pictures.  I would give anything to have a picture of everyone's faces at the exact moment when I put the Horned Crown on Mendax's head.  Backstabbing the Ice Princess was a good one too.  Or at the point when Harley burst out laughing and gave me a couple of well deserved "hand signals".

I have a feeling the guy that played the wizard won't want to be in any of the same games as me next year.  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:27 pm 

Mr. Stroh,

Thanks -- a printout of the rules would be most appreciated! I will sign up for the GG forums and then PM you my mailing address. I must admit that I have yet to catch up with modern technology. To wit, I have never owned a cell phone and purchased my first computer only 8 years ago. Heck, when designing adventures, even those for publication, I still write them out in longhand in spiral notebooks.  

Sincerely,
             Alphonso Warden

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I have a feeling the guy that played the wizard won't want to be in any of the same games as me next year.  :P

My fighter also took the wizard apart.  :)  I wonder how many parties have done that.

[Edit: Download Number 4378]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:40 pm 

Next NTRPG can't come soon enough. I need to stay Thurs - Monday to try wedge myself into a couple more slots.

//H

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm 

FormCritic wrote:First Impression:   8O

I haven't read the rules yet.  Who needs to?

The artwork tells you immediately that this is gaming done right.

This is the Beta?

Hey everyone,

Download 4,666 :)

I'll second that comment.
The artwork is amazing!

Thank you very much Harley!

Best regards,
Ronald

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:31 pm 

I haven't tried printing it yet, but the first page of each chapter is a small amount of white text on a black background.  These types of pages are ink and toner killers.   :x

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm 

Is this a read only pdf or can you actually download it to your computer to be viewed off the net?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Next