Non-TSR forums?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:42 pm 

Would it be possible to open a "Collecting - non-TSR/non-AD&D" forum or, if someone knows of a better place, can someone point me to such a location?  I need to rant about Changeling prices for a bit =)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:17 pm 

there was a bit of MERP here for a while - so i don't see why now you coldn't rant away here for a while...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:25 pm 

red_bus wrote:there was a bit of MERP here for a while - so i don't see why now you coldn't rant away here for a while...

Well, mostly out of respect for forum regulars -- if there's a better place to discuss the ridiculous prices of MERP, Dune, etc. and just collectibles in general (e.g. I collect FGU as well), then I'd rather do that.

But, my preference would be just to open a new forum here so any posts wouldn't bother others ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:32 pm 

Let me talk to a friend of mine. I might be able to host a forum.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:59 am 

I started a recent thread entitled "The Frugal Dungeons & Dragons Collector".  It is mostly discussion about some non-TSR RPG stuff and the high prices that some command.  I am sure you could post a rant about Changeling there (I mention the high prices of this product there as well. . . ).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:48 am 

On the other hand, why not split the forum into TSR Collecting General and Non-TSR Collecting General? This would make sense, I think.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:28 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:On the other hand, why not split the forum into TSR Collecting General and Non-TSR Collecting General? This would make sense, I think.

That's my feeling as well.  I doubt most new visitors would know to look in a thread called "The Frugal Dungeons & Dragons Collector" to talk about, well, non-Dungeons and Dragons stuff ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:36 am 

BaconTastesGood wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:On the other hand, why not split the forum into TSR Collecting General and Non-TSR Collecting General? This would make sense, I think.

That's my feeling as well.  I doubt most new visitors would know to look in a thread called "The Frugal Dungeons & Dragons Collector" to talk about, well, non-Dungeons and Dragons stuff ;)

Yes, and that way those of us with little/no interest can mark it all read and move on.  It doesn't really bother me seeing non-TSR posts, but I don't really read the details.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:44 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Yes, and that way those of us with little/no interest can mark it all read and move on.  It doesn't really bother me seeing non-TSR posts, but I don't really read the details.

Right, but if there's a separate forum altogether, then those only interested in TSR stuff don't even have to look in that forum at all.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:02 pm 

I'm all for it, and perhaps that forum's activity can form the basis for some future posting content/pricing guidelines/etc. on non-TSR stuff....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:29 pm 

Forum moderators -- any chance of just opening up a quick new forum for us? =)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:06 am 

Hey, Mr. Bacon - since there is currently no forum set up for non-TSR, go ahead and rant a little here. . . I am still waiting to hear what you have to say about Changeling prices.  

I find the demand for Changeling rather intriguing.  My wife really likes faeries (at least she used to) - every Christmas I buy her the latest Brian Froud book (or whatever else is out there).  We both look through it a few times and then put it on her bookshelf. . . costs me anywhere from $25-35 and I don't give it a second thought. . .

. . . but you should watch me agonize over whether I want to spend $15.00 on a particular comic.  Spending money is a lot different when it's not for something you "collect".

I think that is what you are up against with the Changeling crowd.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:27 am 

I just got an item called Fantasy Paths.  It boxed and contains dozens of cardboard tiles.  Presumably, you can lay them out in any pattern you desire to simulate a dungeon floor plan.  

It was made in 1980 by Platypus

Anyone familiar with it or have it themselves?  Did the company make anything else?

I couldn't find it on Afterglow's site.

:?:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:18 pm 

I have 2 Fantasy Paths, one by Chaosium and one by someone else. Totally different boxes. Tadashie sells the Chaosium version fairly regularly.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:44 pm 

Just returned back from my latest trip, to find the forum population in total revolt!  Something obviously had to be done, and rather than random executions (usually my first choice), I decided to create this new forum, as requested.

In general, however, I am hesitant on creating new forums.  I can't stand web sites that have 53 separate forums, most of which contain two posts.  However, I think the need for this one was warranted, both due to the increasing number of posts in Collecting General as well as the clear delineation in subject matter (and usually, a corresponding delineation in collector interest).

I went ahead and moved a number of obvious non-TSR topics over to the new forum (though I might have missed a few).  I also created a new eBay sticky thread in here.

Enjoy!

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:35 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:I just got an item called Fantasy Paths.  It boxed and contains dozens of cardboard tiles.  Presumably, you can lay them out in any pattern you desire to simulate a dungeon floor plan.  

It was made in 1980 by Platypus

Anyone familiar with it or have it themselves?  Did the company make anything else?

I couldn't find it on Afterglow's site.

:?:

reaching over to the trusty Heroic Worlds... Fantasy path was made by Board-Craft Simulations in 1981 (although my copy does say 1980 I think). Tadashie sells this version I believe...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:38 pm 

Out of curiosity viz-a-viz the Changeling issues raised in this forum, I had thought that this would be a non-TSR generic D&D forum vs. a non-TSR all-other-rpgs forum.  I think that there's probably room for both if we have sufficient interest in them, but the non-TSR generic D&D seems to be other other primary focus of the collectors here.

Is that in fact the case?  If not, do we need a non-TSR generic D&D forum as well as a non-D&D forum???

Just thinking aloud....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:41 pm 

I think non-TSR D&D is relevant. Things like Infernax, Necromican, etc. would be fine, but I don't see any reason for other game systems to be worked on. Not yet, at least.

Next