Help with Title/Publisher
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:36 pm 

This is gonna be kind of vague, so I apologize in advance. Also, my Heroic Worlds is in storage, or I'd start there, though I'm not sure this is in it.

There's a science-fantasy-ish supplement by a small publisher (I think), called "Worlds and Adventures" or "Characters and Worlds" or something like that, with weird, kind of abstract cover art depicting a girl picking a flower. I remember a discussion about it here in the past, but can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm referring to, or the title of the book?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:51 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:This is gonna be kind of vague, so I apologize in advance. Also, my Heroic Worlds is in storage, or I'd start there, though I'm not sure this is in it.

There's a science-fantasy-ish supplement by a small publisher (I think), called "Worlds and Adventures" or "Characters and Worlds" or something like that, with weird, kind of abstract cover art depicting a girl picking a flower. I remember a discussion about it here in the past, but can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm referring to, or the title of the book?

Never mind, found it. "Exotic Characters and Worlds", from TCR. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Wow... This thing is a real dog, at least according to the one review I can find. I sort of dig the cover, though.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:15 pm 

A really nice book. Very interesting. I got my promotional copy from Christophe (theshield2000) and didn't remember seing one other for sale for several years.

Listed on ToT
http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewto ... 8492458cd6

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:30 pm 

There's some more pics here too:

viewtopic.php?p=177204&highlight=complete#177204

If you can dig up Contrarian's review, that's worth a read too.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:31 pm 

Thanks, I eventually found the title on NKG with a search, and then searched here and on ToT and read those threads/saw the pics. (EDIT: Hadn't found the thread you linked to, though, Mars. I didn't realize there were so many supplements for EC&W).

Contrarian's old usenet review is the only one I was able to locate. Based on that, I'd have to be crazy to pick this title up at anything more than bargain basement prices. However, I still think the cover art is pretty cool. The $95 Aaron wants for it? Um, no thanks :). If I ever see one on eBay I'll probably bid, but not much.

The only reason I was searching for it was my current Gamma World kick, and my vague recollection (correct, it turns out) that this purports to be compatible with it. But after reading Contrarian's thoughts on it, I would have to put this in the same category as "The Field Guide to Encounters"--namely, a bizarre curiosity with no real gaming value.

Does anyone know of any science fantasy-ish titles from BITD that would be good inspiration for Gamma World scenarios/technology/psionics/etc.? Booty and the Beast (which I don't yet own) comes to mind, and maybe Arduin (with which I'm not very familiar). Either of these or anything else fit the bill, do you think?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Last edited by MetaSigma on Sat May 14, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:41 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Contrarian's old usenet review is the only one I was able to locate. Based on that, I'd have to be crazy to pick this title up at anything more than bargain basement prices. However, I still think the cover art is pretty cool. The $95 Aaron wants for it? Um, no thanks :). If I ever see one on eBay I'll probably bid, but not much.

The only reason I was searching for it was my current Gamma World kick, and my vague recollection (correct, it turns out) that this purports to be compatible with it. But after reading Contrarian's thoughts on it, I would have to put this in the same category as "The Field Guide to Encounters"--namely, a bizarre curiosity with no real gaming value.

Sincerely, it is rather interesting. It is full of things that can be used. Of course, considering what is available now, it is not THE better source, but some points have to be hightlighted.
There is some new classes (apothicary, clairvoyant, head hunter, cloud warrior, etc.), some new tables (like level limitations for other races like insectoid, centaur, etc.), new spells (clerical, druid, magical), some insights in the multiverse, and worlds and stellar data.
It worth way more than a lot of non-TSR other rare books.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Last edited by lokiwookie on Sat May 14, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:44 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:
Sincerely, it is rather interesting. It is full of things that can be use. Of course, considering what is available now, it is not THE better source, but some points have to be hightlighted.
There is some new classes (apothicary, clairvoyant, head hunter, cloud warrior, etc.), some new tables (like level limitations for other races like insectoid, centaur, etc.), new spells (clerical, druid, magical), some insights in the multiverse, and worlds and stellar data.
It worth way more than a lot of non-TSR other rare books.

OK, sounds somewhat interesting, thanks. I'll keep looking for one, though don't think I'd be willing to pay very much for it. Agreed, most non-TSR gaming aids are a mixed bag, and even a handful of neat ideas are worth something. Maybe I'm silly for insisting on buying only things which have some actual gaming value, but I'm strange like that :). I do find the cover very compelling, too, which is the main reason the memory of the book stuck in my head.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:52 pm 

And what about the "Spacefarers guide to" serie? The 2 volumes of SG to Planets could be interesting, perhaps. This is only short description of planets that can be used for Traveller (and others) games. There are easier to find, but of course less interesting.

(and thanks, searching through my stuff I found a copy of Lost Abbey of Caltonwhey, I didn't remember owning one!)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:13 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:And what about the "Spacefarers guide to" serie? The 2 volumes of SG to Planets could be interesting, perhaps. This is only short description of planets that can be used for Traveller (and others) games. There are easier to find, but of course less interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's exactly the style of supplement I'm looking for, though I'm more interested in planet-bound scifi stuff. I'm surprised how few "Suitable for use with Gamma World" type products there are out there from the late 70s. Most seem to go to either the Traveller or D&D ends of the SF/F spectrum.

(and thanks, searching through my stuff I found a copy of Lost Abbey of Caltonwhey, I didn't remember owning one!)

Well heck, at least I'm good for something :) (and thanks for taking the time to look through your stuff on my account).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:57 pm 

The scifi genre is significantly smaller than fantasy so there really aren't that many supplements for a specific game (other than Traveller).  There probably isn't too much that is Gamma World specific because of the threat of being sued by TSR.  Traveller didn't have the same problem.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 pm 

Mars wrote:The scifi genre is significantly smaller than fantasy so there really aren't that many supplements for a specific game (other than Traveller).  There probably isn't too much that is Gamma World specific because of the threat of being sued by TSR.  Traveller didn't have the same problem.

There seem to be a million things out there for Traveller. I never had anything for the game except the little black box set. I always enjoyed reading through it, but only had the chance to play once.

I'm not necessarily looking for things that are specifically meant to be used for Gamma World (though that would be cool, too). I think anything that fits into the broad genre of not too serious (not Morrow Project or Aftermath, for instance) post-apocalyptic science fantasy (okay, that's not a broad genre at all I guess) would be inspirational. I'm searching for stuff with a Thundarr/Heavy Metal vibe. Booty and the Beasts is definitely on my want list for that reason, but I can't seem to come up with much else. I just love the idea (now) of a setting where having a blaster pistol in one hand and a broadsword in the other isn't out of place :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:54 pm 

well i think you are already aware of it, but skyrealms of jorune seems to be just what you are looking for. also the i.c.e. shadow world stuff is like tekumel: far future setting where the tech level has regressed but artifacts remain.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 am 

stratochamp wrote:well i think you are already aware of it, but skyrealms of jorune seems to be just what you are looking for. also the i.c.e. shadow world stuff is like tekumel: far future setting where the tech level has regressed but artifacts remain.

Yep, I'm already covered on the Jorune front. I picked up "Shanthas of Jorune" recently, thanks to a fellow member here. Just need "Playing the Iscin Races" to more or less complete my 2nd ed. collection (I'm not going to hold my breath for a Sholari Supplement to become available).

I didn't know Shadow World had a similar premise, might have to look into that. Thanks.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-