Why I hate this place, Part 2
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:48 pm 

I notice that the Wiki page cites some publications that are purely electronic..or are they?

Is Scribe of Chaos , for instance, available from Lulu?

In my world, products that exist only as electronic files do not count as having been published.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I notice that the Wiki page cites some publications that are purely electronic..or are they?

In my world, products that exist only as electronic files do not count as having been published.

I don't think products existing as electronic files or print on demand publishing can be said to have a printing, but to say that publishing is restricted to hard copy is ignoring the present and ignorant of where the future is taking us (whether we will or no).

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

It might be ignoring.  It isn't ignorant.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:00 pm 

FormCritic wrote:It might be ignoring.  It isn't ignorant.

I pretty much think you have your head firmly buried in the ground about electronic publishing. I'd say purposely ignoring the future is ignorant. Kind of like ignoring the lessons of history.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:20 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I notice that the Wiki page cites some publications that are purely electronic..or are they?

I assume you meant Scribe Of Orcus, not Chaos.  To my knowledge, the only one of the five periodicals noted that is actually printed is Knockspell, the others are pdf only.

Of the adventures listed (on wikipedia or my list), the following are pdf only:

BLACK WYVERN PRESS - The Raiding Party
*DUNGEONS DEEP DESIGNS - GWA1: Cabal King
FIFTY LATCHES - Secrets Of The Summoning Chamber
MAGIQUE PRODUCTIONS - all titles
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - I15: Assasins Of Abu-Dala
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - Hell House
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - Outpost Of The Ogre Overlord
RENDED PRESS - HJM1: Temple Of The Ghoul
SACROSANCT GAMES - all titles
SILVER BLADE ADVENTURES - Orc's Nest
USHERWOOD ADVENTURES - UAC1: Gems Of Fire!
USHERWOOD ADVENTURES - UAC2: Into The Halls Of Mystery
USHERWOOD ADVENTURES - UAC3: Lost Atoll Of The Bleu Dragon
VIGILANCE PRESS - Death From Below

* Cabal King does exist in a couple forms of pre-pub/convention printings.  The author is working on a true print version.

I don't think it's arguable whether or not pdf only is published or not.  They are.  They're not printed.  And they may or may not be collectible, although that could get interesting as minor versions of pdfs come and go from existence, but they clearly meet the dictionary definition of "published".  Of course, no one has to make them part of their collection, just as we exclude other areas that don't interest us from our collections right now.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 pm 

Of all of these, which ae worth reading? Which have an element of quality?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 pm 

Which ones have nice covers :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Of all of these, which ae worth reading? Which have an element of quality?

Yeah, that's the thing.  I just haven't read that many of them.  I had bought them up in the fear that they'd vanish and become tough to find.  There are some OOP POD items (separate from this topic) that I missed which are a real challenge.

I'm hoping to start a review blog, and in addition to older material which just doesn't get reviewed (because not enough people even own copies), I'm hoping to read these and add reviews of this newer material.

Mars wrote:Which ones have nice covers :)

You know how I collect.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:24 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
Well, the wikipedia entry is quite good:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC

Kudos to whomever has been maintaining it.

There is also modern 1E material that isn't included in that list, but that I keep in my list of "new" 1E/OSRIC stuff.  I doubt any of them are news around here, but I'll note them.  Some of these may very well be OSRIC instead of 1E, but I don't really bother to distinguish.

BLACK BLADE PUBLISHING - DCC7: Secret Of Smuggler's Cove
CERBERUS ART - CP1: Ruins Of Tenkuhran
CHAOTIC HENCHMEN - F1: Fane Of Poisoned Prophecies
DIE CAST GAMES - TSR1: Insidious
DUNGEONS DEEP DESIGNS - GWA1: Cabal King
GOODMAN GAMES -- DCC12.5: Iron Crypt Of The Heretics
GOODMAN GAMES -- DCC: Saga Of The Witch Queen
GOODMAN GAMES -- DCC: Saga Of The Rat King
GOODMAN GAMES -- DCC: Golden Auroch / Tower Of The Black Pearl
GOODMAN GAMES -- DCC36: Talons Of The Horned King
PACESETTER GAMES - S1: Haunted House Of Clendil
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - CAS1: Cairn Of The Skeleton King
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - CAS2: Tower Of Blood
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - DD2: Dark Druids
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - ERK1: El Raja Key's Arcane Treasury
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - LGC1: Living Room
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - LGC2: Daemonic & Arcane
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - LGC3: Stalk
PIED PIPER PUBLISHING - RJK1: Bottle City
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - G4: Sanctum Of The Stone Giant Lord
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - G5: Curse Of The Cloud Giant Queen
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - G6: Forge Of The Fomorian Smith Lord
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - G7: Giants In The Deep
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - G8: Manor Of The Mountain Giant King
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - G9: Secret Of The Swamp Giant Steward
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - I15: Assasins Of Abu-Dala
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - Hell House
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - Man Eater
PINHAMMER ADVENTURES - Outpost Of The Ogre Overlord

Those are all adventures (except some PPP supplements that I include for completeness).  I have, but haven't read, all the adventures, so if you want to know about where to find something or print quality or whatever, I can help with that.  I haven't bought most of the rules/supplement material though, as most of it seems less good.  I've bought the ones that seem a little less amateurish, and it's a mixed bag as usual.

So combining those two lists equals everything I have heard about.  If anyone knows of other material, I'd love to learn!

Dang it. I think I've been snubbed.

Good list though.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 pm 

Expeditious Retreat Press has a great line of 1st Edition-compatible modules published under the OSRIC license. They are good ol' fashioned dungeon crawls ala those produced in the late seventies/early eighties. The co-owners of the company, Joseph Browning and Suzi Yee, were even good enough to publish a few of my originally 1st Edition AD&D designs. Such modules are The Prison of Meneptah, The Lost Pyramid of Imhotep, The Conqueror Worm, and The Verdant Vault of Malakum. The first two modules listed were inspired by Tracy and Laura Hickman's Desert of Desolation series of AD&D modules. The Conqueror Worm is loosely based on Clark Ashton Smith's short story "The Coming of the White Worm." The Verdant Vault of Malakum is my nod to the lost race novels of the Victorian author H. Rider Haggard and the jungle romances of the pulp novelist Edgar Rice Burroughs.

As an aside, Usherwood Adventures also publishes print-on-demand modules. I should know because the company published two of my OSRIC designs, The Awakening and The Rebel Faction . The former module is a mix between Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars novels and the film Alien. The latter module is my homage to Gary Gygax's G-D-Q series of modules, and revolves around a city of dark elves who worship a vaguely Lovecraftian deity. Even though the module is stand-alone and not directly linked to the aforementioned series, with a little work it could be used as a bridge between D3 and Q1 or could replace Q1 altogether.

Another 1st Editon/OSRIC company that no one has mentioned is Brave Halfling Publishing. Even though the company primarily produces Basic D&D-compatible products under the Labyrinth Lord license, it also produced two of my OSRIC designs, namely, The Forgotten Temple of Baalzebul and The People of the Pit. The former module is a rather massive three-level dungeon crawl with a demonic and diabolic theme while the latter module was inspired directly by the pulp writer A. Merritt's short story of the same name.

Thanks for reading,
                          Alphonso Warden

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 pm 

Munafik wrote:Another 1st Editon/OSRIC company that no one has mentioned is Brave Halfling Publishing. Even though the company primarily produces Basic D&D-compatible products under the Labyrinth Lord license, it also produced two of my OSRIC designs, namely, The Forgotten Temple of Baalzebul and The People of the Pit. The former module is a rather massive three-level dungeon crawl with a demonic and diabolic theme while the latter module was inspired directly by the pulp writer A. Merritt's short story of the same name.

Thanks for reading,
                          Alphonso Warden

I have both of these and they are excellent.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, Kingofpain89! Those modules were fun to design, especially The People of the Pit. If you liked The People of the Pit, you will also probably like The Conqueror Worm, as it too has an eerie 1920's pulp vibe. (Almost all of my modules have a pulpy feel to them being as I have always considered myself a serious collector of pulp era magazines and novels first and a vintage RPGer second).  

Sincerely,
            Alphonso Warden

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:32 am 

Noble Knight has put together a good selection of non-Lulu oldschool style modules and supplements.[/url]

WWW ICQ YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:43 am 

bbarsh wrote:
Dang it. I think I've been snubbed.

Good list though.

Not at all.  All your other books are listed in the wikipedia page.  I didn't see the need to retype.

Munafik wrote:Another 1st Editon/OSRIC company that no one has mentioned is Brave Halfling Publishing.

Ditto.  All of Alphonso's work for several companies is on the wikipedia page.

JimLotFP wrote:Noble Knight has put together a good selection of non-Lulu oldschool style modules and supplements.

And a final comment - I chose to draw the line at OSRIC/1E material, and skipped Labyrinth Lord/S&W/bazillion other ODD/OE/BX/BECMI clones.  Not a judgment of quality, just had to draw a line somewhere.  So for a list of all that stuff, you'll have to ask someone else.  :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:01 pm 

Public thanks for WereSteve who turned me on to Johnny Rook Games.  did the entry level (something Watchtower) and the 'Halloween' one (reading it now), and both are great.

Just also did the first of the Road to Revolution through 0oneGame (The Skullcrackers, I think, though its not it front of me), and it's the best multi-part read outside of Paizo's AP (excepting Tsar, which is all that, and more)

Sunrunner44 -says 'boo!' to PDF only.

Previous