Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 am 

Plaag wrote:Amazon has these at $23.09 with free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

ShaneG.

d'oh!   :shaking2:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:11 pm 

My 12-year-old son and I started playing Axis & Allies.
He loves it.
A buddy of his mentioned another game that some guys are playing ...
Yep.  
It's Pathfinder.  

Now I really want a copy of the beginner set.
Unfortunately we're tapped out on cash :-/

~Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:My 12-year-old son and I started playing Axis & Allies.
He loves it.

~Keith

How drastically has Axis And Allies changed from the original?

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:21 pm 

Scathaigh wrote:
How drastically has Axis And Allies changed from the original?

The differences are small, the mechanics remain mostly the same.

- Battleships are now 2-hit pieces, and self-repair after combat.

- The battlefield has more countries now. The area between Germany and Russia has been divided into smaller countries. So Germany cannot defeat Russia by turn 3 like they used to...

- Weapons development has been retooled (so Heavy Bombers now only throw two dice instead of three), and you choose which development you're trying to go for.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:07 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:Germany cannot defeat Russia by turn 3 like they used to...

Oh poop.
Thanx for the warning; RockCon is next weekend.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:17 pm 

There was this alterate WW II game awhile back when the Game Master was taken out of production.  It had a yellow box, I think.

I am trying to recall what the name was.  I know it had a fold out map (originally).  Any comment if that game was an improvement over A&A?

Invincible Overlord wrote:

- The battlefield has more countries now. The area between Germany and Russia has been divided into smaller countries. So Germany cannot defeat Russia by turn 3 like they used to...

- Weapons development has been retooled (so Heavy Bombers now only throw two dice instead of three), and you choose which development you're trying to go for.

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:42 pm 

My son was the Allies, so i was the Axis.
In Europe, I was able to take Russia by going north through Finland, and just playing attrition in the Caucuses.   And I took Britain briefly.

It seemed like the Western Front was too easily invaded by the British & Americans.  

But overall, the American IPCs are too much for the Axis to overcome, at least in 2-player mode.  I have not played a multiplayer game yet.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:15 pm 

Since I'm sitting here watching Fla beat UGA for the 313th straight year, I downloaded the PDF of the Pathfinder Beginner Set for $10, along with a couple of freebies.

My iPad is a good gadget for reading these PDFs.
And the intro adventure seem like it'd be fun.

Unfortunately, the PDF of the dungeon map does not seem to have the rooms numbered.  
Either that, or they're too faint to read.
But, it's just a PDF.

I'll definitely buy the real McCoy as soon as I can.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:09 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
My son was the Allies, so i was the Axis.
In Europe, I was able to take Russia by going north through Finland, and just playing attrition in the Caucuses.   And I took Britain briefly.

It seemed like the Western Front was too easily invaded by the British & Americans.  

But overall, the American IPCs are too much for the Axis to overcome, at least in 2-player mode.  I have not played a multiplayer game yet.

The Axis powers win by "economic strangulation."  This works so well that I usually advise ignoring this rule.

The Japanese are capable of destroying most of the American Pacific fleet in the first turn.  If you are fortunate and plan well, you can also hamstring the American counter-attack by taking Hawaii at the same time.

Meanwhile, the Japanese airforce and army go hell for leather against Russia...which begins to bleed units to the East in order to stay alive.

The sole task of the German airforce should be to clear the Atlantic of Allied shipping.

If Japan and Germany both attack Russia, the Allies are in a race to keep from drowning.  Russia goes under and the Axis powers are strong enough to turn upon the two remaining allies.

Western Europe is vulnerable to American and British attack.  That's why the Germans have to conserve their airforce and make sure that Britain is not allowed to have transports and the United States loses any transport that crosses the Atlantic.  This becomes increasingly difficult if the British keep building ships and forcing the Germans to attack.

Britain loses a large measure of its power if Africa falls to Germany.  Unless the Americans quickly intervene (which diverts them from Western Europe), the battle for Africa is decided one way or the other on the first turn.  The Germans cannot be allowed to maintain their navy in the Mediterranean or they can reinforce Africa and keep it out of Allied hands.  So, from the Allied perspective, the transport and battleship in the Mediterranean must die.

How's that for geek-tasitc?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:05 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
The Axis powers win by "economic strangulation."  This works so well that I usually advise ignoring this rule.

The Japanese are capable of destroying most of the American Pacific fleet in the first turn.  If you are fortunate and plan well, you can also hamstring the American counter-attack by taking Hawaii at the same time.

Meanwhile, the Japanese airforce and army go hell for leather against Russia...which begins to bleed units to the East in order to stay alive.

The sole task of the German airforce should be to clear the Atlantic of Allied shipping.

If Japan and Germany both attack Russia, the Allies are in a race to keep from drowning.  Russia goes under and the Axis powers are strong enough to turn upon the two remaining allies.

Western Europe is vulnerable to American and British attack.  That's why the Germans have to conserve their airforce and make sure that Britain is not allowed to have transports and the United States loses any transport that crosses the Atlantic.  This becomes increasingly difficult if the British keep building ships and forcing the Germans to attack.

Britain loses a large measure of its power if Africa falls to Germany.  Unless the Americans quickly intervene (which diverts them from Western Europe), the battle for Africa is decided one way or the other on the first turn.  The Germans cannot be allowed to maintain their navy in the Mediterranean or they can reinforce Africa and keep it out of Allied hands.  So, from the Allied perspective, the transport and battleship in the Mediterranean must die.

How's that for geek-tasitc?

That is good.  I like it!

Based on your strategy, I failed in two main areas:
I was unable to knock out the American forces in the Pacific.  
A lot of that was just pure ol' bad luck with the dice.
(Would prefer they used 10-sided.)
And, I failed to use German air power in the West until it was too late.

I did succeed in taking NE Russia, and splitting their forces.
And I tried the strategy of moving into Africa, but the British navy was just too strong.

My son had played quite a few times with his uncle and cousins,
so he was also teaching me as we went along.  But my takeaway as a first-timer was that it's the Allies who would win by economic strangulation.
It seemed like the game was unbalanced in that regard.
But, that could be a result my own poor play.

In any event, I lost.
And I didn't let him win.
He beat me fair and square.  

It's a fun game.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:Since I'm sitting here watching Fla beat UGA for the 313th straight year, I downloaded the PDF of the Pathfinder Beginner Set for $10, along with a couple of freebies.

My iPad is a good gadget for reading these PDFs.
And the intro adventure seem like it'd be fun.

Unfortunately, the PDF of the dungeon map does not seem to have the rooms numbered.  
Either that, or they're too faint to read.
But, it's just a PDF.

I'll definitely buy the real McCoy as soon as I can.

You are probably looking at the flip mat PDF.  Page 2 of the Game Master's Guide has a numbered/keyed map to the adventure.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
You are probably looking at the flip mat PDF.  Page 2 of the Game Master's Guide has a numbered/keyed map to the adventure.

You're right, I was looking the flip mat.
And they've kept it unkeyed on purpose, I suppose, so it can be used for other dungeons.

Thanks!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 am 

One of my guys in my game just gave me the Pathfinder box.

He thought he was buying the complete Pathfinder rules in a different form, and was intensely disappointed when he found out he had the beginner version.

I bought him a copy of the Pathfinder core rules off of Amazon to trade him for the boxed set.

The box looks very nice.  The "pawns" are useable, if not exactly replacements for real miniatures.  I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this purchase.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:35 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
That is good.  I like it!

Based on your strategy, I failed in two main areas:
I was unable to knock out the American forces in the Pacific.  
A lot of that was just pure ol' bad luck with the dice.
(Would prefer they used 10-sided.)
And, I failed to use German air power in the West until it was too late.

I did succeed in taking NE Russia, and splitting their forces.
And I tried the strategy of moving into Africa, but the British navy was just too strong.

My son had played quite a few times with his uncle and cousins,
so he was also teaching me as we went along.  But my takeaway as a first-timer was that it's the Allies who would win by economic strangulation.
It seemed like the game was unbalanced in that regard.
But, that could be a result my own poor play.

In any event, I lost.
And I didn't let him win.
He beat me fair and square.  

It's a fun game.

I agree that the 1984 version (which you're most likely playing) is extremely imbalanced. I used to play in tournaments where we bid to play the allies [The bids were around 23-28 IPC's, and the Axis got to spend them on anything and anywhere before the start of the game].

The newer version still has the Allies economic advantage, but the play feels balanced better... if that makes any sense...

Oh... and here's a wiki link on the history of the game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_%26_Allies

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 pm 

I agree that the 1984 version (which you're most likely playing) is extremely imbalanced. I used to play in tournaments where we bid to play the allies [The bids were around 23-28 IPC's, and the Axis got to spend them on anything and anywhere before the start of the game].

The newer version still has the Allies economic advantage, but the play feels balanced better... if that makes any sense...

Oh... and here's a wiki link on the history of the game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_%26_Allies

Well, the box is brand new.
In fact, my son bought it for me at Barnes & Noble.
We played several Avalon Hill games back when I was a kid, but we never played this one, so this is a first for me.
Pretty neat game overall.

Thanks for the link.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:57 pm 

FormCritic wrote:One of my guys in my game just gave me the Pathfinder box.

He thought he was buying the complete Pathfinder rules in a different form, and was intensely disappointed when he found out he had the beginner version.

I bought him a copy of the Pathfinder core rules off of Amazon to trade him for the boxed set.

The box looks very nice.  The "pawns" are useable, if not exactly replacements for real miniatures.  I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this purchase.

How do you play an RPG with miniature figures without shelling out a small fortune?
Any given dungeon is going to have dozens of monsters.
You just collect slowly over time (I suppose) ...
It kinda, sorta seems like the "pawns" would be a good second choice if you're not into minis.

~Keith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:37 am 

You collect a small group of representative miniatures...not necessarily exact miniatures for every monster.

I don't play with miniatures, but the few times I've used them as a player at PaizoCon I thought they added a really nice visual element.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:43 pm 

Picked up my copy of the beginner box today and I have to say that I'm impressed with what you get in the box.  Components alone are worth the money (at least at retail) and the books are well layed out (and since it's a Paizo product, filled with art) and easy to understand.

From a rules perspective, it's a great way to pick up and teach the system (even though it's limited to 3 races and 4 classes).  The ongoing debate on teh Paizo messageboards seems to be revolving around people wanting to see the core rulebook get the same layout treatment that they used for the BB set (which would make the rules a little clearer IMO).  Whether we ever see that happening is anyones guess but it'd make the 500+ page CRB a lot more accessible.

For anyone interested in learning the system I would definitely suggest picking up a copy.

PreviousNext