DCC 3.5 - Haunted Lighthouse
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:54 am 

I'm not sure if this should go in the silliest price thread or not, but I'm starting a new one for this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

Can such a "limited edition" module only a year+ old really command this price (or double this price which I also heard possible)?  If it can, I regret more than ever giving away my unsigned copy.  Thank god the signed one is safe on my shelf!

Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
---------------------
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:25 am 

A ghost troll. What a joke 3E is.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:58 am 

That's about the going rate that cougarrinard has been snagging them at to corner the market.  The module has a couple of things going for it including Arneson's authorship, the Erol Otus cover and that Goodman Games' dungeon crawl series is pretty good with a nice 1st edition feel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:46 pm 

IIRC the edition was pretty limited too---in the range of 300-500 copies, perhaps less.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:18 pm 

Dave Arneson is getting a surge of interest with Blackmoor, and Erol Otus has been in demand. There have been a few other exclusive limited print modules, like the one they released at KublaCon, but this one has attracted the most notice.

Now Goodman Games is planning to do a recompilation of Dungeon Crawl Classic 2 and 3, and it probably will include this 3.5 one as well.  So that might soften the price a bit.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:30 pm 

This is just plain unbelievable.  I'm dumfounded by the final price!

Here's the link again

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:41 pm 

I think that's a high for this module---IIRC Adrian paid $90-125 for his copy awhile ago.  Things have obviously heated up since then ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:16 pm 

Shortly after it came out I got it for $50 or so on eBay.  
The reason they're going for so much is because cougarinard is trying to corner the market on them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:08 am 

dathon wrote:Shortly after it came out I got it for $50 or so on eBay.  
The reason they're going for so much is because cougarinard is trying to corner the market on them.

The problem with such a high price on such a recent item is that it can always be reprinted, and actually Goodman Games would have no reason NOT to reprint such an item.  Companies are far more likely to reprint a sought after item today than, say, 20 years ago.  Plus, recent collectible or limited edition type items have shown a tendency to decrease in value after every that "Has" to have one gets their copy.  Anyone remember Warriors of the Gray Queen or Crypt of the Smoke Dragon getting just ridiculous prices a couple of years ago?  They can be had cheaply now.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:21 am 

As a heads-up, I want it to be known that I'm putting my signed copy of this on Ebay later tonight.  Need the money for my new Jeep payment.  :)

Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
---------------------

WWW YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:41 pm 

I'm glad to see the Goodman guys getting some free press out of all this. I met some of them at GenCon SoCal last year (and Erol Otus, too -- yeah!) and they were pretty cool. And the DCC series, while suffering greatly from its 3.0 and 3.5 shackles, most definitely is written and produced by gamers who have affection for and appreciation of the classic 1st edition. I've got about half the series, including all of Erol's covers, and there's at least two I would seriously consider DMing (after converting to 1st edition, of course)  8)

Still ... $251?  8O I'm in no position to judge anyone else's bids, having paid too much for stuff in the past myself, but I'm guessing the bottom is going to fall out of this market when Goodman goes into re-print mode.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:47 pm 

Yup, that's why I'm getting mine out into the market now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
---------------------

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm glad to see the Goodman guys getting some free press out of all this. I met some of them at GenCon SoCal last year (and Erol Otus, too -- yeah!) and they were pretty cool. And the DCC series, while suffering greatly from its 3.0 and 3.5 shackles, most definitely is written and produced by gamers who have affection for and appreciation of the classic 1st edition. I've got about half the series, including all of Erol's covers, and there's at least two I would seriously consider DMing (after converting to 1st edition, of course)  8)

Still ... $251?  8O I'm in no position to judge anyone else's bids, having paid too much for stuff in the past myself, but I'm guessing the bottom is going to fall out of this market when Goodman goes into re-print mode.

I'm DMing #5 Aerie of the Crow God after converting it to 2nd edition.  I have almost all of the Dungeon Crawl Classics, and can't say enough good thing about them.  3rd edition or not, they really do have that 1st edition feel.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:52 am 

After Xaxaxe and BadMike's post I started thinking...

How many years till there's a "Acaeum" topic for those rare or odd 3e games that're hard to come by. ;)  I give it 20 years, maybe a few more.

You know, when 5th edition is out. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:21 am 

i've actually DM'd a few 3E mods, using my 1st Ed rules - worked fine for me and they went across very well. just a little adjustment here and there and it was easy!

personally, i really like some of the 3E/d20 stuff - wouldnt play it with them rules mind, but the actual scenarios etc are excellent.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:20 am 

I agree that some of the 3rd Ed. scenarios look quite good and interesting.  It's not a big deal to convert it over to 1st or 2nd Edition.  Really, I never saw what the big deal was with that anyway.  It's the storytelling that counts, not the stats and rules.  I think most of the old-timers would be happy to read Goodman Games modules with Erol Otus art for old school flavor.  

Whether any of it will worth anything in 20 years is debatable, but I guess we can all check back then and see...  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:14 pm 

dathon wrote:Whether any of it will worth anything in 20 years is debatable, but I guess we can all check back then and see... :wink:

Retirement communities and nursing home better have high-speed internet by then, or I'll be  :x

:)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:07 pm 

Goodman Games just released another module, sold only at Dundracon and through online orders. It probably won't reach the heights of the Haunted Lighthouse, since it wasn't written by Arneson, but it might be worth something.

Troll Lord Games also released a tournament module exclusively at a gaming convention last year.