How does this crap happen?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Read the question at the bottom....  :roll:  

Some people are efing CLUELESS! :evil:

Is there ANY way to get E-Bay to pull that out?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:41 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Read the question at the bottom....  :roll:  

Some people are efing CLUELESS! :evil:

Is there ANY way to get E-Bay to pull that out?

That should help fill your spam buffer.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:That should help fill your spam buffer.

Not to worry.
I asked seller why they posted my E-Mail and added why I care.
Seller said not to worry.
(paraphrased) "VERY few folks will ever even see that listing and no one will even read the question and if so, they wont abuse your e-mail address anyway.... Why would they do that?"

Seller was totally surprised I was not happy to post my E-Mail all over creation.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm 

:roll: . That's what yahoo addresses are for, I guess. I don't think there's any way to remove the Q&A. Must have been so eager to please that he neglected to read to the end of the e-mail, LOL.

The seller has a sweet looking EPT, on an unrelated note, though the table it is sitting on in the pictures is f'ed.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:52 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote::roll: . That's what yahoo addresses are for, I guess. I don't think there's any way to remove the Q&A. Must have been so eager to please that he neglected to read to the end of the e-mail, LOL.

The seller has a sweet looking EPT, on an unrelated note, though the table it is sitting on in the pictures is f'ed.

Nope seller read it all.
Seller said I asked them not to post my E-Mail ONLY if seller sent the pics to my E-Mail.

Like I said ....  CLUELESS!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:54 pm 

ROFL:

If by E-Mail, then PLEASE do not post this message conatining my E-mail to the listing...

Technically I suppose he's right... Though still completely clueless. He should have done what you obviously meant, not what you wrote :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:(paraphrased) "VERY few folks will ever even see that listing and no one will even read the question and if so, they wont abuse your e-mail address anyway.... Why would they do that?"

Unfortunately, its generally not the "folks" who are going to use your email address but rather the automated web crawling bots that look for email addresses to add to spam lists.  Since the listing will be posted for 90+ days and there are links to the auction from other sites (such as the Acaeum), there are a few paths to find it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:22 pm 

That email address would be easy to spam regardless of whether it was posted to a forum. All they need is the handle and then guess at the domain. Like my gmail account. Not hard to spam. Fortunately, gmail is somewhat better at blocking it.

I would have not included my email in the message anyway. I'd have made him send me an eBay message from which an email address could be given.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:30 pm 

Phone eBay and tell them that they are displaying your e-mail address on one of their listings contratry to your express request that they do not display your contact details. Ask for your e-mail address to either be deleted or the listing removed. Tell them that you have already received an anonymous e-mail offering you advice about this seller's integrity, and tell them that you consider them allowing their member to display your e-mail address to contravene both their own policy, their contract with the seller, and their contract with you as a member. Ask them to remove your details from the listing now, or offer to have your lawyer request the offending members contact details in writing and who do I fax legal requests to.

If you deal with management, it will be removed quickly. Probably pulled completely with a letter warning the seller not to display other people's personal information on their listings.

In the meantime, why don't we all ask the seller the question, why are you displaying someone's e-mail address in your listing. Don't you know it's illegal and how do they feel about it. We suggest you cancel your listing and relist.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:In the meantime, why don't we all ask the seller the question, why are you displaying someone's e-mail address in your listing. Don't you know it's illegal and how do they feel about it. We suggest you cancel your listing and relist.

Illegal?

Why not just chalk it up to a mistake made, lesson learned?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 pm 

Not illegal for the lister to make the mistake, but illegal for eBay to display your e-mail address in a public forum without your permission.

That said, many things are illegal but have no quantifiable damage and are therefore not actionable. I was merely pointing out that the verbal threat to call centre staff could escelate this to a manager who could ensure direct intervention on the listing would happen in a timely manner.

If you pussy foot around call centre staff, they tend to do what all call centre staff do. They tell you what you need to hear in order to shut up and stop the phonecall, and then they do FA about what you called them about.

The only real decision is, 'Do I care about my e-mail address appearing in a listing?' and if the answer is 'Yes', then 'Should I do something to get it removed, or should I just not ask a question like that again?' For me, if a phone call will get something done, provided I sidestep the front line phone monkeys, then I'll place the phone call and get the thing done, but I do know a lot of people who wouldn't.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Not illegal for the lister to make the mistake, but illegal for eBay to display your e-mail address in a public forum without your permission.

Not to be a contrarian (any more than usual), but Gnat gave tacit permission, though inadvertently, for the seller and I suppose by proxy eBay to post his address. Technically speaking, that is. That having been said, I assume you're right that they would either edit the Q&A to remove the offending bit, or close down the listing, should he bother to spend the hour and a half on the phone it would take to speak to a person with that authority.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-