Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:56 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents:9 issues left to collect... so close...

And then you can index all of them for us!  8)

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:18 pm 

(repost from Appraisals thread)

btw, Lee & Barry have all the A&E issues in pdf format now

http://www.conchord.org/xeno/aande.html

"BACK ISSUES AVAILABLE:   All back issues of A&E are now available as PDFs. Issues 1 through 311 images, scanned from paper copies and converted to PDF format, mostly between 10 and 25 megabytes. Issues from 312 to the present are available as PDFs generated from the word processing files. These are somewhat smaller, mostly between 7 and 10 megabytes. Electronic editions are $2.00 (no postage charge), sent by email or by web download. Or you can receive one, several, or all on a DVD+R, $2.00 per issue, plus $0.50 for the DVD and case, plus postage."

I haven't seen the quality on the pdf's yet (the early issues I'm thinking of in particular).

If you are interested, her contact info is on that webpage.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:57 am 

One follow up on this is that she now has had scanned the D&D-related issues of APA-L (a science fiction LA based fanzine) before the moderator asked that the D&D discussions be moved to a different fanzine. These obviously were the precursor to A&E.

"at the request of Bruce Pelz, who felt that discussion of Dungeons & Dragons was taking up too much space in APA-L, the APA of the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society"

These issues date from late Oct 1974 until Aug 1975

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:13 am 

Lee compiled an index of the APA-L discussion when she and I were emailing about that.  She said it's OK to share, so I'll post a copy up to my site this evening.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:33 am 

grodog wrote in Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents:Lee compiled an index of the APA-L discussion when she and I were emailing about that.  She said it's OK to share, so I'll post a copy up to my site this evening.

I have a word document from her, which I'm assuming is that same info.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:53 pm 

Yes, I assume so:  112K, 17 pages?

I've posted the file to http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... e_gold.doc

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:16 am 

grodog wrote in Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents:Yes, I assume so:  112K, 17 pages?

I've posted the file to http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... e_gold.doc

Yes that's it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 pm 

Does anyone happen to know what Gygax's article in A&E#300 is about?  According to the TOC, it's a "Zine (Reprint)" which while good to know, isn't terribly informative ;)

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 pm 

grodog wrote in Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents:Does anyone happen to know what Gygax's article in A&E#300 is about?

It is a letter from Gygax to Gold regarding A&E.  The letter originally appeared in A&E Issue 15 featuring comments regarding A&E Issue 14.

In the first paragraph he states TSR "do not particularly happy to see some rehash of our copyrighted material" and that "TSR is absolutely opposed to the practice in those cases where there is infringement upon our copyright".

In the second paragraph he notes Rich Schwall "played in 'Greyhawk Castle' once or twice" but says his previous summary of the dungeon is not very accurate.  Gygax states "Rob and I do not bother to place adventurers on any sort of graph if the group is three or less...more than three persons are in a party, we always require that they align themselves in a march order, the leader be in the front rank...when combat takes place we sometimes use miniatures...my favorite grid for character positions in combat is a large sheet of staggered squares covered with acetate."

In the third paragraph he says "...and I am not thereby claiming D&D was written with a view towards deletion of ambiguities" but challenges the idea (previously put forward by Glenn Blacow) that much of the rules were unintelligible, offering a few rule changes - magic users could use staves, multi-classed characters "do not fall under the injunction against armor and weapons", thieves are limited to leather with no shield and can use only daggers or swords (though he would allow them the use of "a fine chainmail shirt of magical nature".

Thus page 1.

In the fourth paragraph he briefly addresses some of Blacow's house rules and notes "The largest party we ever took into 'Greyhawk Castle' was 16 - and four actually survived to tell of it.  And that without 75% occupancy and no more than a half-dozen traps on a typical level".

In paragraph five he comments that in his home campaign it is not rare for different "factions" (of player characters - e.g., character parties) to attack each other and fight it out - "As a DM I find this quite suitable".

In paragraph six he comments (briefly) on "Greyhawk" vs "Blackmoor", noting that characters are allowed to move back and forth.  Paragraph seven says Greyhawk is something like a parallel earth.

The remainder of the page two consists of brief comments on specific comments appearing in A&E.

Thus page 2.

The first big paragraph on page 3 starts "It seems that Dungeons & Beavers players are getting paranoid" and he also states "Yes, fellows, I find 20th level to be absolutely incredible, for you won't get it in the games hereabout".  The next paragraph has a comment on the "Origins I dungeon" which is "drawn from a similar tomb designed by Alac Luclan".  It was tested by Rob Kuntz' 13th level (evil) lord "He took 14 orcs and a couple of low-level flunkies with him".  Only Kuntz' character survived.  Then he concludes with some well wishes.

Thus page 3.

If you want more deets, you can buy a copy of the issue from Lee for a couple bucks.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 am 

Or...

I forgot that I uploaded scans of the letter to the image gallery over at RPGGeek - go read it there and ignore everything I said above  :roll:

Alarums & Excursions (Issue 15 - Oct 1976) | Issue | RPGGeek

Previous