Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am 

It looks like there may be some interesting things in this "magazine."

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:22 am 

Today I got around to updating the small Alarums and Excursions section on the Wiki to the indexed format.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Index:Alaru ... Excursions

As we put issues up, it will automatically create a combined index.

I am happy to work on this. If anyone can send me cover (and also table of contents page scans if possible) I will put them up. I can also transfer data posted here to the wiki.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:05 pm 

Anyone interested in the contents of early A&E issues, you can PM me or contact me offline. I have access to a large collection (missing several issues, sadly) that I am copying for myself for research, reading and historical purposes.  #1-4 (reprints), #6, #7, #9 and #10 are in the bag so far, many more to come as I work my way through them.  BTW thanks to Blackmoor's list, it appears the reprinted versions of early issues have different Table of Contents than the originals, interesting.  The reprint of #1 appears to have been totally retyped!  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:00 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Today I got around to updating the small Alarums and Excursions section on the Wiki to the indexed format.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Index:Alaru ... Excursions

As we put issues up, it will automatically create a combined index.

I am happy to work on this. If anyone can send me cover (and also table of contents page scans if possible) I will put them up. I can also transfer data posted here to the wiki.

[email protected]

Yeah, I need to get back to work on this. One thing about the table of contents is that the issues I've gone through didn't do page numbers (since that wasn't how these were organized) just the number of pages contributed.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:13 am 

I am going to get some copies from Mike, so if you have original cover scans I will be able to spend time going through some of the issues at least and build up TOCs. It would really be great to build up a database and index for A&E.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 am 

Jason has a ridiculously large and complete set of these.  What would be cool is if someone could describe the contents of the articles, since the titles are just the names of the fanzines submitted.

Mike b.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 am 

some of the topics are very hard to describe.. they have general banter, comment on previous zines, multiple ideas about traps, monsters, setting etc, various talk about new classes, adventure ideas.. all over the place..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 am 

I agree, but maybe when something of "historical" significance is there it should be noted. For example, in the issues I am reading through, there is a letter from Gary Gygax in issue #2 (in response to Lee Gold having sent him a copy of #1).  In issue #4 there is a description of a convention session exploring S1 Tomb of Horrors (this is in 1975!)   And I know that Dr. Holmes has some stories and such in later issues, along with David Hargreaves and others (Steve Perrin for one).  Convention reports might be noted.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm 

There's really no limit to what we can put on an item page. Basic info and contents is the bare minimum. We can be put more detailed descriptions and / or notes at the top of each page. And I am always open to suggestions to improve the formatting.

It would be great also to have an essays section. If someone wanted to write a more lengthy article on a particular issue, that could be given its own page, linked to the issue, and I could make a direct link to an essays category on the front page as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 pm 

I posted the Holmes story/article info back on the first page of this thread. Someone with more skill than I could fill in that info on the Wiki, if they'd like.
I received copies of these stories from Lee Gold, so I don't have any other info on those issues of A&E.

I'd be interested in finding out about any responses to the Holmes stories by other contributors.

Also, Lee Gold wrote something (perhaps very brief) about the "new D&D beginner's book" (Holmes Basic) in issue #27. I have issue #30 (only issue I have right now), in which John Sapienza briefly responds to her. I'd meant to write to her about the article, but had forgotten about it. Also, what's the Table of Contents date for issue #27? #30 is Jan 23, 1978.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:01 am 

OK. I edited your work on the previous page and made a short essay on the Wiki. I have linked to this from the A&E 'About' page and I will make a link on the J. Eric Holmes page as well.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Essay:J._Er ... Excursions

Let me know if that is accurate. We can edit and update this article any time as more information comes to light. Very interesting actually, I am keen to get hold of his novels now and read them myself  :) !

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:OK. I edited your work on the previous page and made a short essay on the Wiki. I have linked to this from the A&E 'About' page and I will make a link on the J. Eric Holmes page as well.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Essay:J._Er ... Excursions

Let me know if that is accurate. We can edit and update this article any time as more information comes to light. Very interesting actually, I am keen to get hold of his novels now and read them myself  :) !

Thanks, Hermit! I noticed two items to add to the Dragon listings:

Dragon #12. J. Erich Holmes should be listed as a co-author for the article:
"Sorcerer's Scroll—our regular D&D column: the Lovecraftian Mythos in Dungeons and Dragons"
(He wrote the first draft of this article, which was published with just a few revisions and additions by Kuntz).

Dragon #16 should have the following added:
"A Rebuttal to "The Cthulhu Mythos Revisited"" by J. Eric Holmes, page 22.

(This is a rebuttal to an article in Dragon #14 called the "The Cthulhu Mythos Revisited" by Gerald Guinn, which is already listed)

I should really learn how to edit the Wiki myself. Perhaps adding this material would be good start. Hermit, PM sent.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:50 pm 

I am wondering what became of the wiki, etc.?  I'm interested in pre-100 issue contents, etc.  Would like to look at whatever got completed, if it's available.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:21 pm 

I sold my collection to Stormberg about a decade ago. #1 to something pretty high, can't remember. In fact, that and the Wild Hunt run I sold him is why I don't speak to him any longer; I sold those and a Wild Hunt run (#7 up IIRC) to him for a ridiculously low price in exchange for a good price for me on a rare at a future date. When the time came and he had a 1st print DG and I asked for it, he wouldn't even sell it at all.
So, if you feel like asking him to contribute to the wiki, he should still have the runs. Good luck getting info for free; maybe you can ask him to auction the info off to you.............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:06 pm 

a 1st print Deities & Demigods? or a 1st print Dungeon Masters Guide?
even if you only had up to issue 200 of A&E, at that time that would have been worth more than either of those books  8O

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:31 pm 

misterspock wrote in Alarums & Excursions Table of Contents:a 1st print Deities & Demigods? or a 1st print Dungeon Masters Guide?
even if you only had up to issue 200 of A&E, at that time that would have been worth more than either of those books  8O

Try Dwarven Glory.

(Heh; what do y'mean "only up to" issue 200...? :lol:)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:42 pm 

I was partly mistaken. Paul refused to sell me a second copy of a 1st DG he won at auction; I believe the A&E's went to Blackmoor. No probs there. And yes, I had sold items to Storm for a very low price up until then, being a fellow collector. I have never been one to chase $$ in the RPG collecting field; I prefer to have items for a while and pass them on.
Interesting story with the A&E's and Wild Hunts: I saw an ad in CL for D&D stuff in Boston, back before the texting days (no phone numbers usually either), so I e-mailed for directions and drove down. It was an older lady whose son had died. He had the A&E's, Hunts, Dragon #1 up (most all in mailers with his address) and a stupid amount of other stuff, all bagged and in long boxes. I offered her a lot more than she was asking and she refused, citing the fact that she posted them at that price. It was pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime find.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:39 am 

9 issues left to collect... so close...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

PreviousNext