BLACK BLADE TO PUBLISH CASTLE OF THE MAD ARCHMAGE
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:21 pm 

BLACK BLADE TO PUBLISH THE CASTLE OF THE MAD ARCHMAGETM BY  JOSEPH BLOCH

Press Release

02 APRIL 2011
WICHITA, KANSAS

Black Blade Publishing is proud to announce that it has reached an agreement in principle with Joseph Bloch to publish his Castle of the Mad ArchmageTM for old school fantasy campaign gaming.  While the essential terms of the publishing agreement have been settled for some time, the formal agreement between Black Blade Publishing and Mr. Bloch will likely be signed later this week.  Black Blade hopes to have the finished product available in time for Christmas, 2011

Jon Hershberger, President of Black Blade, said, "It is an honor and privilege for Black Blade to publish The Castle of the Mad Archmage in partnership with Joe Bloch. This mega-dungeon is one of the really great old school projects to come out of the old school gaming community in the past five years.  It is a mega-dungeon in the grand tradition of the early days of our hobby. I've been running scenarios using Joe's Castle of the Mad Archmage at gaming conventions for the past couple of years.  Being a mega-dungeon, the Castle of the Mad Archmage fosters a style of play that differs from gaming scenarios based on traditional adventure ‘modules' or tournament-style adventures where the objectives and scope are more rigidly defined.  With the release of the free pdf version of the Castle of the Mad Archmage, Joe demonstrated his ability to create a setting that serves as both an educational experience for introducing the hobby to new gamers and a challenging adventure locale for veteran gamers."

The agreement includes the publication and distribution of all twelve of the Castle of the Mad Archmage dungeon levels included in the previously released pdf of the same title, plus two additional levels that Joseph wrote exclusively for inclusion in the Black Blade Publishing release of the Castle of the Mad Archmage. These two additional levels will be

-- Surface Level -- The Upper Ruins, and

-- Level One -- The Storage Rooms

The Black Blade release of the Castle of the Mad Archmage will be published with several other design features that will make this a truly stand-out print product, including:

-- A 220-240 page hardcover containing the encounter keys and level by level detail for all 14 levels;

-- Full-color poster maps on heavyweight stock for all 14 levels;

-- A folio or folder to organize and store the poster maps when they're not in use;

-- A deluxe box or slipcase for storing both the level key hardcover and the map folio with all of the poster maps;

-- The addition of a number of original black & white interior art pieces to highlight specific set piece encounters or unique features of the Castle levels;

In addition, Black Blade Publishing and Joseph Bloch have discussed plans to release further expansions of the Castle of the Mad Archmage, including several sub-levels and level-expansions for the twelve primary dungeon levels beneath the ruins of the Mad Archmage's Castle.

Black Blade Publishing launched publically in June, 2009, with its first adventure module for First Edition gaming.  Since that launch, Black Blade Publishing published Swords & Wizardry: Core Rules and Knockspell magazine in partnership with Matt Finch. More recently, Black Blade Publishing partnered with Usherwood Publications to release an imprint of the OSRICTM rulebook in hardback print format.  For additional information, please visit www.black-blade-publishing.com.

Black Blade Publishing and the Black Blade sword logo are trademarks of Black Blade Publishing, LLC.  "Castle of the Mad Archmage" is a trademark of Joseph Bloch.  All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 am 

AWESOME!

This is one of the best "sequel" modules ever published, certainly the equal of the Castle Zagyg from Gary himself.

I just hope the cost is reasonable; there has been so much price creep nowadays, it would be nice to have the entire dungeon in one book for a good price.

Really looking forward to this one! (and did I mention Jon will be running Castle of the Mad Archmage at NTRPG Con this year????? :wink:)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:57 am 

That is fantastic news. Will watch this with interest.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:06 am 

Great news!!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 am 

cool

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 pm 

Excellent news, gentlemen! :)  

This will make a great stocking stuffer.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:32 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Excellent news, gentlemen! :)  

Stocking stuffer! This should be weighty enough to bludgeon Santa with and steal his sack of toys.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 am 

Looking forward to it!!  :)

Eulaliaaa!!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:58 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Excellent news, gentlemen! :)  

The placing in and removal from stocking could damage shrink.  Just a thought.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 am 

Prufrock wrote:The placing in and removal from stocking could damage shrink.  Just a thought.
Martin

:lol:

He makes a very good point Smarmy!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm 

Well in that case if it comes in shrink, Santa should plan on two copies - one for the stocking and one under the tree.  I'll use the stocking copy to read and/or play. The other goes in the Shrink Vault. ;)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:16 pm 

Sign me up for one!

Here's a Black Blade question that goes back a bit... did these two titles ever see print?

Black Blade Publishing has scheduled two more releases in 2009, beginning in the fall with First Edition Dungeon Crawls: The Golden Palace of Zahadran, adapted from DCC # 32: The Golden Palace of Zahadran, followed by First Edition Dungeon Crawls: Devil in the Mists,

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:32 pm 

davidc wrote:Sign me up for one!

Here's a Black Blade question that goes back a bit... did these two titles ever see print?

Sounds cool, but I was also wondering whatever happened with the Rob Kuntz stuff

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... -lake.html

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:43 pm 

Do you really have to ask?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:05 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Do you really have to ask?

I guess I missed an update somewhere? :?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

misterspock wrote:I guess I missed an update somewhere? :?

Perhaps, but if so, so did I. :?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:19 pm 

No, you didn't miss any announcement (at least that I know of). Just me opining concerning the likelihood of any of it being completed.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:No, you didn't miss any announcement (at least that I know of). Just me opining concerning the likelihood of any of it being completed.

Damn! I was hoping to hear some good news...or I guess any news.

Oh well...back to the waiting game. :study:

Next