The Frugal D&D collector or The Talisman Thread
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:42 am 

Maybe some of you can help me out here. . . what is Talisman anyway?  It appears to be a card game (like Magic the Gathering?).

Why so valuable?  
When was it made?  
Is it very rare?
Is it any good?
Who makes it?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

:?:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:51 am 

African or European?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:20 am 

*lol*

and the answer is..... NI!

(passé, perhaps, but why not...)

I'll try and be more helpful later, if no-one else responds (but think they will). Lunchtime here, just now.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:02 am 

Talisman is an overated board game. Cards are used for various elements of the game - like your playing piece.

It is fun, but how it go so popular as to demand these prices shocks me. One of my friends had it and the expansion. I am fairly certain he had a first print...but god only knows what kind of condition it is in anyway.

That same freind's mom once threw out a crap load of his early D&D modules ... I think by accident...but he had first print stuff from the late 70s ...  8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:24 am 

I have the 1st print of Talisman, but I'm afraid to play it. If I get hooked, there goes $1,500 towards every expansion made for it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:56 am 

Talisman basically is a dungeon crawl / wilderness adventure heavily modeled after D&D, in which you take a single character, fight monsters, cast spells, find treasure, explore places, get henchmen, etc. etc. trying to beat the other players to the center of the board.  (What you find there depends on what expansions and such you're playing, but basically it's the treasure of ultimate power.)  The appeal is that it gives a gaming experience with the cameraderie of D&D, but without the heavy rules and slow exposition.  Each card represents a character, monster, place, etc., and the random nature of the game makes it different every time.  It's fun and easy to dive into, which I think is what makes it a staple of the genre.  But the prices are indeed ridiculous.  They keep spiraling up, though, so you can buy everything, play til you're bored, and make back your investment and then some.
:wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:25 pm 

Ive got 3 Warhammer rule books. Black paperbacks. 1st edition?
Worth anything? No box unfortunately.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:57 pm 

nn wrote:Ive got 3 Warhammer rule books. Black paperbacks. 1st edition?
Worth anything? No box unfortunately.

Sorry, those are the ones I meant in:

harami2000 wrote:Warhammer FRP stuff seems to get good money and some other new GW items go for crazy money... but their original wargaming rules from 1983 in mint condition box (none too common) are a virtual giveaway.

(white box is (c) 1982, but the books are (c) 1983)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5920866253

Have seen them go for a mere $10-15, even with the box :(
(And probably a good purchase at that price (but not greatly more), given the upsurge in more recent GW prices).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:10 pm 

nn wrote:I am stunned by those Talisman prices.

I would have estimated the complete set at $300, the City at 75$ at most.

I wish one could get it for that price. My old girl friend has my copy. If I ever see her again, I'll offer a couple hundred for it back.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:30 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:But the prices are indeed ridiculous.  They keep spiraling up, though, so you can buy everything, play til you're bored, and make back your investment and then some.
:wink:

Very true. I bought the second edition with three expansions, played it, didn't think much of it, and resold the lot for a small profit.

As to Talisman's popularity, I'm lost. It's basically roll-your-dice-and-move-your-mice. Although I'm sure there's a nostalgia factor involved, much like all of us discussing D&D here at The Acaeum.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm 

We played it when it first came out. One of the guys had it. It was fun. The first expansion was ok, too... but I just do not see the hype.

The best part of the game was getting that huge mercenary guy. We called him Milt! (from a line in the classic movie Bachelor Party).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:49 pm 

When I first started collecting Cthulhu edition Deities & Demigods, I went through ever listing on Half.com and asked every single person who had an old copy of it listed "How many pages". I found about 4 on there for reasonable prices. There are still several on there that know what they're selling and state "Cthulhu" in their description.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:06 pm 

slydeshadowdart wrote:I can personnally attest to the ridiculous prices that Talisman is going for.  I've been trying to get the 3rd Ed. expansions for months, and they never stay under $100 (if complete).  

As far as that $1300 2nd Ed goes, he got ripped off.  Even if you had to piece it together, you could get all of it for half that if not less.

I have been bidding and watching virtually every Talisman 3rd expansion on Ebay in six months, when will the market dry up?  I just want to play the dam things not collect them :evil:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:51 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
slydeshadowdart wrote:I can personnally attest to the ridiculous prices that Talisman is going for.  I've been trying to get the 3rd Ed. expansions for months, and they never stay under $100 (if complete).  

As far as that $1300 2nd Ed goes, he got ripped off.  Even if you had to piece it together, you could get all of it for half that if not less.

I have been bidding and watching virtually every Talisman 3rd expansion on Ebay in six months, when will the market dry up?  I just want to play the dam things not collect them :evil:

hmm.. maybe I should sell mine, all the expansions plus the main box in shrink 3rd ed... I bought them after a great experience on holidays them could find noone to play...:(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 am 

beasterbrook wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:

hmm.. maybe I should sell mine, all the expansions plus the main box in shrink 3rd ed... I bought them after a great experience on holidays them could find noone to play...:(

If you are looking for someone to sell them to please pick me.  PM me anytime :D  :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:03 pm 

Just watched a 3rd ed Dragon's Tower go for US $364.99 on BIN a day or so ago

The seller also has a s/w City of Adventure and Dungeon of Doom up for $319 and $299

Hmmm

Makes the £75 UK Dragon's Towers from December look cheap

BJS

PS - If anyone wants Talisman Sorcerers Tower Expansion (Fan expansion for Talisman) | Board Game | BoardGameGeek has a Sorceror's Tower expansion for 1/2/3 editions.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:58 am 

8O dam nows the time to sell:)

Brette:)

PreviousNext