Speculation on 5E
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:13 pm 

Hi,

can be found here...
http://www.geeknative.com/17903/are-wiz ... t=FaceBook

Not sure if its the usual wittering, or if it has something more substantial to it this time.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 am 

If they abandon the earlier ~10yr timeline and move to ~4yrs between editions as a habit, they're greedy and stupid.

Anyone who's not a really new player or terribly unresourceful/lazy (ie not willing or able to use the internet) in finding material will get fed up with trying to keep up and just stick with what they already know.

The market will get even more splintered and the share for the Current Edition will get even smaller.

~1978 1E
1989 2E
2000 3E
2003 3.5
2008 4E
2012? 5E

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm 

Unless it is real, and playable, so f'n what.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:52 pm 

In the Future,  to play D&D you'll need to subscribe to WOTCMMTTG (Wizards of the Coast Massively Marketed Table Top Game) which will require you to pay $15.00/month for up to 5 characters.  

You'll still need to buy the source books for 30-40 each to be allowed to play certain adventures or attain certain abilities for your characters.  Game Play will be greatly simplified, you merely have to tell the GM where you want to go and then when you get there, all you need to do is declare what skill you're using, then whap your hand on the table (no complex pointy dice!) until the GM declares you either win or lose.  If you lose, you simply get to repeat the adventure/encounter again until you win.  If you like the encounter, you can simply take a short break and come back and defeat the same monsters/encounters over and over again!

Treasure is assigned randomly by the DM and role playing is discouraged and limited to only certain tables away from the main stream D&D players.  However; players can do things like gesticulate to each other or even dance right at the table which is always good fun for everyone!

Players will love the outfits they can give their characters. Big Purple Hats. Big Purple Swords. Big Purple Armor.  Also, the very highest level characters can buy a horse!

I know, this will be a big change for some of you but WOTC has studied the market of RPGs for a long time and this model has been proven to be financially successful.. I mean... very fun for the players.

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 pm 

If you read the first quote in its context you will see that it has been lifted and given a new context.  I read nothing in there that indicated D&D 5th Edition.

I would be surprised to see WOTC make that move.  

What I wouldn't be surprised by is if they made it as graceless as their move to 4th Edition was.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:14 am 

mordrin wrote:If they abandon the earlier ~10yr timeline and move to ~4yrs between editions as a habit, they're greedy and stupid.

~1978 1E
1989 2E
2000 3E
2003 3.5
2008 4E
2012? 5E

While I am certainly no expert on the 3.0/3.5 game, aren't they pretty much one and the same. I know there are some rules adjustments, but I would not consider them completely different games in the way 2e - 3e and 3.x - 4e.

I also cannot see them going 5e right now. They will continue to run with 4e for a few more years unless it completely fails economically. I know plenty of people say it has - mainly because they don't like it - but that is not the same thing as it being an economical loser for WoTC.

So WotC has to make a decision: admit 4e sucks and go to a 5e and take the ego shot, or stick it out and produce a new and improved 5e. I think they will go with the latter.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 am 

bbarsh wrote:
While I am certainly no expert on the 3.0/3.5 game, aren't they pretty much one and the same. I know there are some rules adjustments, but I would not consider them completely different games in the way 2e - 3e and 3.x - 4e.

I'm an expert on 3.0/3.5, and it's the same thing (fixing a bunch of 3.0 loopholes...).

So 3.5 players consider 3rd Edition D&D to have a 8 (or 9) year run.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 am 

Essentially, 3.5 is still going on...maybe going stronger than 4th Edition.

Pathfinder is essentially 3.5 with house rules to fix some broken mechanics and a few added tweaks.  Players call it 3.75

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:26 am 

Right now they are going through the "mid-cycle" revision with the Essentials series.  For 1E, this was marked by UA, 2E with the revised black books, and 3E with 3.5.  I doubt 5E is coming anytime in the immediate future.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:42 pm 

I think that a 5th edition of D&D will see a massive integration and use of digital and on line resources such as social networking, web sites, high speed internet connections, Ipad, ebook readers and so on. Paper could become a less and less important way to the 'D&D experience'... just look around  :roll:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:I think that a 5th edition of D&D will see a massive integration and use of digital and on line resources such as social networking, web sites, high speed internet connections, Ipad, ebook readers and so on. Paper could become a less and less important way to the 'D&D experience'... just look around  :roll:

Weren't they trying to do that with the release of 4.0?   8O

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 am 

Really, how long could it take WOTC to release 5e considering how 4e was put together. They have 4 editions to extract, modify, enhance, and expand on. Can you think of any edition other than the original/1e that they actually "rebuilt" the wheel to make it.

The idea of social networking being a requirement for 5e would be just outrageous ~~ facebookD&D or twitterD&D ~~ [ just a farce ]. Even as an "option," it would seem more for sales.

5e "capabilities" for ipad and in the form of eBooks and pdfs seems reasonable especially if the online D&D campaigning rises.  Although, paying $100 USD for three (3) core pdfs is no better than paying for hardcovers. If anything, electronic rule/module resources is just more money in WOTC's pocket even if they stop making hardcover rules.

Like what kid has the money to buy all the rulebooks anyway, even, for 4e - spoiled kids who have loaded grandparents. Even adults who want to play and make minimum wage or a few bucks more an hour should be complainin'.  Of course, the probability is always low for rules to drop in price with each new revision.

Really wonder if Gygax had it planned for B2: Keep on the Borderlands to be released in 4e as several separate chapters each retailing at $15 or more considering the original one sold in the 80's for around $4 - $6. The tradition of the game seems to have gone astray for the $$.

For the DM/players of the game: Wouldn't it be better to publish one "large" hardcover instead of two to four DM / player's guide. This huge tome could have "optional" sections and the "core." But of course not, sales wouldn't be the same for WOTC. Back in my early days, a friend didn't want to actually play AD&D at first due to having to read "one" PHB and parts of the DMG let alone two or more of each these days.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:34 am 

WotC just released their revamped set of books last Sept into the Essentials line.  I can't see them coming out with another set of core rules a year later.  I think it will still be years before 5e.  Although I am sure they are working on it as we speak but they have probably started working on 5e as soon as 4e was released.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 am 

HexMapper wrote:
Like what kid has the money to buy all the rulebooks anyway, even, for 4e - spoiled kids who have loaded grandparents.

I dunno, in my neck 'o the woods the kids seem to have plenty of cash to blow on "rare" CCG products.  I watched one at the not so favorite game store plunk an odd $80+ down on one or two Magic cards  8O Couldn't have been more than 13 and yapping on his iPhone the whole time the transaction was going on...kids seem to have plenty of $$$ around here despite living in one of the most highly taxed states in the union.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 am 

HexMapper wrote:Like what kid has the money to buy all the rulebooks anyway, even, for 4e - spoiled kids who have loaded grandparents. Even adults who want to play and make minimum wage or a few bucks more an hour should be complainin'.  

They have the money for their big screen TVs and cell phones and iPads. Oh, wait. They don't actually. They use credit cards. They're borrowing from someone else.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:
Weren't they trying to do that with the release of 4.0?   8O

In my eyes they are not doing a great job in using these means... but the Essentials line is selling quite well while 4e is almost dead... The Italian publisher keep moving release dates on the new books and at the moment is only producing Essentals products (which is fine for me  8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:03 pm 

WOTC is praying for another "hula-hoop craze" like we saw from the late 70s through the mid-80s.  It's a loooong shot.

Serious paper & pencil RPGers seem to be playing 1E or Pathfinder.
(I only know of one 4E group.)

But the time may be ripe for someone to tap into RPGs in a different manner (if I knew how, I'd do it).  
There's a resurgence in board game popularity in the mainstream, with middle-class kids playing everything from Scrabble to Axis & Allies.

From what I can tell, kids seem to segregate these "analog" games from all stuff they do on iPhones, iPads and PS3s.

My two cents'

Keith[/i]

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien