Troll & toad order problem
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:32 pm 

Hello,

this afternoon I received an email from T&T about Castle Perilous restock (like several person there I think). I was on my PC and I went on the website, saw the book, and bought it considering the price.

Few time after, I received an email saying that my order was cancelled and I will get refund. No refund was given for the moment. I looked on ebay, and Castle Perilous is still for sale.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

(I recommend to not buy it on ebay since the book seems to be missing).

What can I think about this? The book wasn't in stock? It was in stock but sold before I bought it (but normally it couldn't since I bought it on the website and the stock was set to 0 just after)? Someone offered T&T a higher amount of money for this book?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:43 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Few time after, I received an email saying that my order was cancelled and I will get refund. No refund was given for the moment.

If you paid by PayPal, then your transaction should have status of "Refunded" or something similar.  The funds will show up in your PayPal account within a few days.

What can I think about this? The book wasn't in stock? It was in stock but sold before I bought it (but normally it couldn't since I bought it on the website and the stock was set to 0 just after)? Someone offered T&T a higher amount of money for this book?

Given the problems that Troll & Toad has with grading and packing items, I guess that they accidentally oversold the item or mistakenly listed it as being in stock.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 pm 

Yes, and apparently the one on ebay sold too... So now they have 2 problems if someone bought it :)
As for the refund, I didn't get anything for the moment :( I do hope they will refund me quickly. I don't like this kind of disappointment at all ...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Yes, and apparently the one on ebay sold too... So now they have 2 problems if someone bought it :)
As for the refund, I didn't get anything for the moment :( I do hope they will refund me quickly. I don't like this kind of disappointment at all ...

When I had my "issue" with T&T I was not offered a refund/credit at all.. I won't bore you with details (unless you want to email me about it;) ) If the paypal transaction hasn't been canceled I suggest you ask for the $$ back and not wait for them to get in contact with you..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 pm 

This is precisely what Troll and Toad did on the last order I made with them....the item was "not in stock," and then it was listed on Ebay at a higher price.  In the case of my item, they even had multiple listings of multiple copies.

The problem is that it is easier to lie to the customer than it is to admit making a mistake.

They gave me a refund.

I complained about the lie.

I got a snotty response from a person named Cindy.  Essentially, "You got a refund.  We're a big company."  With the implication that I was being a whiner.

Granted...we're not talking world peace here.  We're talking an $11.99 or so purchase.

I told Troll and Toad again, via Ebay message, that this sort of behavior is disastrous for their company reputation.

An Acaeum member who works for Troll and Toad contacted me and apologized to me.   He also expedited Troll and Toad sending me a free copy of the item in question.  He's working on the problem but these kinds of things keep happening.  I emphathize with him because I too work in a job where other people sometimes make me look bad.

The item arrived - bent up in the USPS shipping processing.  It was sent in a sturdy (if thin) cardboard container that has worked for other Troll and Toad orders, but not for this one.

What am I supposed to say now?

I was one of Troll and Toad's defenders.......

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:42 am 

I can't believe you guys are still buying from Troll & Toad, when you know exactly what the company is like, what they think of you as a customer, and how honest they are. Reading posts like this from guys who have been here for years and participated in other threads is kind of amusing.

It goes to show that it doesn't matter how well known a company is for lying and ripping off buyers, if they put up a picture and drop the price far enough, they can still get sensible people to throw money at them, even knowing the odds of getting anything are slim at best.

Why not e-mail that last muppet who said he'd fix all problems personally, and then f'd off and didn't do anything for anyone.

Still, it's always good to see another 'T&T screwed me over' thread on the forums to keep the topic current.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 am 

True, definitely true... Ian is right... Everytime I said "this is the last time", and everytime they list a rare item for a very decent price (the last one was Bifrost vol.1 for only $15) so I take the opportunity to get a nive book for cheap. Until now, all went pretty well, I received my items in nice shape, and relatively quickly. I try to get the better price for every items. Of course, I prefer to buy from NKG, or Acaeum (or other forums with nice guys) members (as I bought from Ian and was very pleased with my purchases and his prices).

So why not from T&T, even if I know that they do not bother with their customer satisfaction... However, I will never buy common or uncommon items from this company or books that are not very very attractive, considering their total incompetence in collecting activites/sales.
I tried to find the post here when the guy who is working for T&T said that he will fix all problems but didn't find it via the search engine :/

Actually, my main problem is that they did not refund me and I didn't get any reply to my emails... I will do as Brette said, and contact Paypal directly.

My post was to prevent anyone for being disappointed if they "buy" the Castle Perilous copy on ebay from T&T (because they haven't it in stock).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 am 

I'm sticking with my position - don't spend over $8/item with T&T.  An arbitrary number, so adjust to taste, but that's my pain threshold for disappointment.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 pm 

It's just not worth the International Postage unless an item has a real verified photograph and a manager who's willing to swear in open forum that he has personally told the truth and here is his home address and phone number to prove it.

There is too mach lying and reports of fraud in that companies sales for me to risk paying even the shipping. They haven't yet even fielded a member of staff on a forum who has been willing to answer all questions and not get caught out feeding the threads bullsh!t.

I've been burned by them and so have a large number of people here, so it's interesting to see people still get burned given the level of bad press about them.

It's the only company I know of that has its own thread for its staff to report all the things that go on within the company to the world online. That really is a bad sign when they won't even challenge that level of bad publicity in case the reports are found to be substantially truthful.

T&T has some bad sh!t going down with it's online image in the RPG market, and no amount of dealing at conventions or appointing it's incessent turnover of staff is improving their image any. Someone there needs to start reading a book or two about managing a company's image.

Or at the very least, go and ask Aaron how he manages to tell the truth and not screw over customers.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Or at the very least, go and ask Aaron how he manages to tell the truth and not screw over customers.

Aaron makes the occasional mistake.  He corrects them.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Aaron makes the occasional mistake.  He corrects them.

Yep. Has done once with me, and it was sorted immediately by return e-mail and a refund in full. Took the best part of a couple of hours at most.

Thre presumption at NKG is that the customer is telling the truth and I buy from them all the time because of that level of service.

The presumption at T&T is that the customer is a liar and is trying to screw the company, and as a result, they ignore, stall and resist all inquiries, and when they are caught out, they have been fount to go so far as to post false delivery information just to ensure they do all they can to make sure you don't get your money back.

It is T&T's position that they have your money, so f"ck you, that keeps them being talked about in a bad way by so many online forums.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm 

I finally got my refund after I emailed again. They only said that they made a mistake by listing something that is not in stock...

I agree with your opinions. Most of time I buy from Aaron, because of reliability, of high level of service, etc. In France we have the same with Ludikbazar, but there is no rare item as on NKG.

But anyway, the problem is that we are all collectors and... when we see a very good offer, we most of time take it... It is not a proper behaviour, we should always refer to past transactions with the seller (especially when he is well-known as being a crook) but I am only a weak human level 0 in front of a chaotic evil god of temptation...  :evil:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 am 

totally agree.. thats how it happened with me.. I must ay I have had 2 other transactions that went ok..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:16 am 

Ten days ago I ordered $200+ on D&D mini's from T&T on Ebay. Before I placed my order I asked if they'd combine shipment. I got a reply from Cindy who offered a couple of combined shipping methodes. So I placed my order and started waiting for the invoice. I've send them four emails but I'm still waiting for that invoice. Since I'm not paying $350 on shipping, Ebay started a NPB claim against me.
What is up with this store? They have thousands of positive transactions on Ebay, how can they deal with customers like this? On Acaeum I see some very disillusioned collectors but also some supporters.
Since there are some T&T employees on Acaeum, maybe they can tell what is going on. Do you dislike international buyers? Or did I somehow order too much out of stock mini's?
Some Acaeum members have suggested that T&T is a store trying to make a profit. Then why do they screw around with buyers who are willing to spend hundreds of dollars in their store? It makes no sense...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 am 

Not that I want to defend them, but I imagine they have a fair amount of staff at GenCon at the moment.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 am 

T&T are well known for their lack of any form of customer service. There are pages of reports of problems ranging from simple refusal to combine shipping, all the way through to lying to PayPal and making up information in order to prevent customers claiming their money back when they buy stuff that the company cannot deliver.

Good luck, but getting burned is the only way to learn the lesson. If you're getting a warning of what's to come and you haven't alrewady paid, think long and hard about how much possible grief and stress you want to go through just for the pleasure of buying from them.

Almost any other reseller is worth going to before you go to T&T, even if you pay more to buy from multiple sources.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:40 pm 

Damn! Troll and Toad.
I bet that cindy gal is Not a happy camper!
They did the same thing to me with the claims forms.
I think they have it set up on automatic processing if you do not pay in 3 days, a claim is opened.  Yet their policies conflict, stating Both 3 and 7 days (7 or 10, I forgot) to pay.
I wrote such a vehement letter.

All she did was send a message about the combined shipping.
I was about to call their store manager if they did not respond.

I guess Gen Con explains it then.
Thanks,

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:41 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I'm sticking with my position - don't spend over $8/item with T&T.  An arbitrary number, so adjust to taste, but that's my pain threshold for disappointment.

<heh>  I limit myself to $5 per items at T&T :)

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  
Next