What price glory?!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:55 am 

This fantasy RPG puzzles me. From what i read

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4545&sid=bba6167c039c9e35220c3965ef332628

it seems a sort of "alternative" to Original D&D back in the days...much similar to "The Complete Warlock" by Balboa games in this respect.

I'm intrigued by "variants" of OD&D- even more intrigued if it consists of a big 134 page book.

I would like to have the chance to ascertain if its rules are "better" than the mechanics contained in OD&D...since i think it already happened with "The Complete Warlock" in the past..so, anyone ever played this game and can tell us something about it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:03 am 

Deffinately not better than OD&D. Way too complex and over inflated with excessive 'fluff'. There are maybe a dozen or more OD&Desque rulesets from that time, and OD&D succeeded because it was the best. It's that simple. Only the best survive, and that is why we all know about the good rulests, and the bad ones are rarities.

There is a PDF available somewhere for What Price Glory!? and an errata sheet for it, but I've not seen a link in a while.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 am 

I don't think that only the best survive. I have quite a different opinion about it.

By the way, i would be curious to know about so many OD&Desque rulesets..you mention there are a dozen, but as far as i know there is "The Complete Warlock", "What price glory?!"...i don't think you are talking about Arduin here, maybe "Darkhus Tel" (?) or "Beasts men & Gods"?

cheers

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:12 am 

and, by the way, a PDF of "What price glory?!" would be much appreciated  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:39 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:There is a PDF available somewhere for What Price Glory!? and an errata sheet for it, but I've not seen a link in a while.

Is it an official pdf? I am very surprised that a legal pdf was done.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:14 am 

Not a legal PDF, no, but then 99% of the PDFs online are not legal, but I imagine a search on Google would chase it down. In my experience, it was harder to find ST1 in PDF than anything else I've tried looking for.

In fact no, that's an exageration. I've been trying to find the two modules from Weis & Hickman for years with no joy.

I probably wouldn't stick Darkus Thel in the same OD&Desque catagory on account of its publication date, unless it was a homebrew thing for many years before it was published.

There were maybe two or three rulesets published in the UK between '75 and '78 designed to surplant OD&D, and there is bound to have been two or three to have come out of FGU. There's bound to have been a set come out from Steve Jackson, maybe even something from Zocchi. Then we have Arduin, C&S, Arneson's Adventures in Fantasy, that Generic FRP Ruleset that always crops up on eBay, and even T&T if you want to stretch a point.

What Price Glory is as close to OD&D as Advenures in Fantasy, C&S or Arduin are.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:57 am 

i consider myself pretty skilled in using  Google and the like, but a long search didn't show up anything, alas.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 am 

The problem with WPG is that the book is perfect bound so to make a pdf would damaged it. So I am not sure someone made one.

For the list of OD&D clones, one could add Nimolee (1982) and Tunnels & Trolls, and Beasts, Men, & Gods (perhaps TFT too, but different)? And Miekka Ja Maggia, which is in finnish (not english one). And in French, we have Donjons et Dragons (1982), which an unofficial D&D translation, and actually is a D&D variant.
I didn't read Bifrost for the moment, so I am not sure about this one. I bought one copy from T&T ($15!) and will be able to answer soon.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 am 

Vault keeper wrote:i consider myself pretty skilled in using  Google and the like, but a long search didn't show up anything, alas.

Have you used the word 'torrent', and have you searched the DF threads? From memory it was pretty poor and a good 30mb download.

I forgot all about Nimolee.
What are the criteria being used to decide whether a ruleset is or is not like OD&D?
I remember Warhammer RPG being played in the late 70's at Conventions before GW published a ruleset.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm 

DF threads:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/search.php?keywords=what+price+glory&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

As for Nimolee, i wonder how many persons had the chance to play it, in the past. I know nothing about it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:18 pm 

It's been known about in the community for six or seven years that I know of. It was listed on Mattias Block's Aftergow site and I think his site went way back to the days when the community was a loose group on Newgroups, so Nimolee was known as a rare for a long while.

Don't know if it's listed in Lawrence Schick's book.

Unearthing copies of Nimolee is a reletively new phenomenon. In fact, until Mars managed to chase down the author and source a few copies, I had thought of it as one of those things lost to time.

Again, Nimolee is well over a hundred pages of A4 goodness.

And on a similar note, we know of the Warwick Supplements and their origins in the late 70's, but we've only ever seen Warwick Supplements 1 and 3 in the wild, and both in their second printings. The first printings, and indeed Supplement 2, have not been seen by anyone.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 pm 

Yes, didn't see any copy of Nimolee before Mars found some. I bought it from him of course. I guess that he still have a copy for sale.

As for the criteria, I think that the rules have to be some kind of improvement of the OD&D basic rules. That we can see the structure of D&D behind the rules of this game.
Nimolee is itself presented as a variant of D&D, but a "better" D&D IIRC.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:56 pm 

WPG is more of a 'clone'. Couldn't really describe it as an attempt to 'improve' OD&D in any way.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 pm 

The Nimolee book is a 3rd edition 1982.   I'd have to check my notes but the earlier version dates back to the 70s.  It was mentioned on Mathias' Afterglow site which is where it got added to my list.  I'm not sure if I have an extra copy still around or not - the webpage needs a good update.  A copy did get resold to NK at one point but I'm not sure if that copy has been sold again or not.

The premise was to try and take the D&D rules and try and make them more realistic.  The book is one of my favourites and includes a good list of RPG related articles from around that time and some essays.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 pm 

Mars wrote: The book is one of my favourites and includes a good list of RPG related articles from around that time and some essays.

This was outstanding for the era. Such a list is impressive considering the difficulty to get information and news in the early 80's.
Mark, do you know if he published his 1st ed. or if it was only a homebrew item to play with his party and the only published one was the 3rd?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 pm 

I don't think the earlier versions were published as "formally" as the 3rd Ed.  There are some articles in A&E or Wild Hunt about Nimolee so the author was in contact with some others as it was developed.  It seems likely that a few early copies were probably passed around but I was only able to get the 3rd ed.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:43 am 

How can i live now without a copy of Nimolee after this information that you unearthed for me?  :D

I checked NK website, and yes, the last copy was sold.

http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147416449_A_InventoryID_E_0

Lokiwookie, you should tell me something about the copy you bought sooner or later.. :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:37 am 

By the way, there is another OD&Desque RPG that we forgot to mention, it's "Wizard's world" published in 1985:

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetailSearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_1569704477_A_InventoryID_E_2147663944

Fortunately, i own this last one, even in scanned format  :D

Anyone interested  to exchange this for the "apparently impossible to find online copy" of  WPG?  :D

Next